4x4 Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
So, my new truck will have 4x4, and I have never had to use it before. So, I am looking for some pointers such as is there any type of different maintenance that needs to be done to the front axle and drive shaft and transfer case? Also, when should I and when should I not use 4x4 and what type should I use in which situation? Such as 4lo or 4lock in certain ways, and is using the 4auto option hurtful to the truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Haha I was just asking this type of question in another thread. I know the front 4x4 transfer case has to be lubed every 15K miles, and I think they need fluid changes in the front and rear axles every 30K miles as stipulated in the manual.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Your manual will explain, but as a general rule:

4lo: When you want to crawl along, say using engine braking going down a muddy hill, or when you want to pull something. My old 1987 Dodge had the 4 speed granny gear transmission and in 4lo/1st it would idle along so slowly that I could walk along side it and take fence posts out to set in holes and it would never get away from me. Also if you want to pull something, say another truck that is stuck or an old chicken house down or whatever. Unless you are doing heavy farm work or going off road frequently, you'll probably never use it.

I've had several Jeeps with automatic, aka full time, 4wd (my wife owned 4 Grand Cherokees over the years), and it doesn't hurt anything but fuel economy. Its the best for snow or patchy ice. It reacts quickly and combined with the limited slips, works really well for keeping you straight.

4lock is for off-road or other low traction situations only. It can cause binding and damage to the drive train on pavement, is rough on your tires, and limits steering input (because of the binding).

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
on my truck it has 2wd, 4hi, and 4lo. the only times u have really use 4wd it was 4hi in the snow to keep from spinning out. Even in the mud i rarely have to use 4wd. the few times i did it was also in 4hi.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Same here. 4 hi is what I usually use although this is my first truck with 4 auto which I will use more as supposedly you can use that on dry pavement(which is good
For snow when some roads are snow covered and some are plowed)

As for maintenance just follow the manual which i think means service the front
Differential when the rear gets serviced

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Growing up riding the everglades in So. Florida we always used the rule: in in 2 out in 4 and only use 4low as a last resort. Mostly because none of us could afford to fix the trucks if we tore them up.

That being said aside from regular maintenance, I was always told to find some where to put it in 4hi every couple of months or so, just to keep everything lubed up. Not sure if it actually helps or not but I have not had any issues either.