4x4 Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quick question about the 4x4. When I need to use it the sand and it engages I can tell the truck jerks forward and notice it clearly that the hood jerks a little and it makes extra noise... is this normal? It gets me out of the sand no issues and drives normal... but just seems a bit intense. I have never owned or been in a 4x4 before this so it may just be normal.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quick question about the 4x4. When I need to use it the sand and it engages I can tell the truck jerks forward and notice it clearly that the hood jerks a little and it makes extra noise... is this normal? It gets me out of the sand no issues and drives normal... but just seems a bit intense. I have never owned or been in a 4x4 before this so it may just be normal.
What 4x4 setting are you using?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What 4x4 setting are you using?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Lock - in a Laramie so I think that has the transfer case people don't like lol... should I use something different?

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if you're are in sand already you can use 4auto or preferably 4-lock, when you do that turn of electronic stability control. This will stop the traction control from deciding when it needs 4 wheels and keep the front transfer case locked most of the time.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
if im understanding this correctly you are engaging 4x4 after your stuck or in a position where you need it? if so, its not uncommon that you get a thud or feel the truck jerk when it finally engages. the smoothest way to engage 4x4 is from a slow roll.

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if im understanding this correctly you are engaging 4x4 after your stuck or in a position where you need it? if so, its not uncommon that you get a thud or feel the truck jerk when it finally engages. the smoothest way to engage 4x4 is from a slow roll.

I usually engage it as I am coming up to the soft sand. There is a spot on the beach we go to that a ton of vehicles get stuck in. I usually park right past it and when I leave, I leave the 4x4 lock on because I know it will need it right away. Thanks for confirming this is a pretty normal thing. It is very nice knowing I have zero issue getting through the sand when I see other trucks get stuck all the time.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah 4x4 can kick in sometimes with some authority. Our trucks use a slipper center differential with a clutch. Its not perfect but Ive beat mine up in some slippery places and it hasnt failed me. Tires make more difference in sand sometimes more than 4x4. Keep it out of the water and have fun.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If you're experiencing this when you get in a bad spot and you already had the 4x4 engaged before you got there and the hood is shaking I wonder if its wheel hop when you are spinning in the loose sand? If you aren't airing down it's very possible. That is the only thing I've ever known to cause a shake like that. Does it do it once or repeatedly when your on the gas?

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're experiencing this when you get in a bad spot and you already had the 4x4 engaged before you got there and the hood is shaking I wonder if its wheel hop when you are spinning in the loose sand? If you aren't airing down it's very possible. That is the only thing I've ever known to cause a shake like that. Does it do it once or repeatedly when your on the gas?

I think you might be spot on. It only does it as the front tires engage and I first hit the gas. If I'm through the soft spot and driving down the beach everything is normal.

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah 4x4 can kick in sometimes with some authority. Our trucks use a slipper center differential with a clutch. Its not perfect but Ive beat mine up in some slippery places and it hasnt failed me. Tires make more difference in sand sometimes more than 4x4. Keep it out of the water and have fun.

The G2s made a big difference in grip. the SR-As used to slip all day. I can actually use 4x2 in most of the area where I needed 4x4 before, it's just about a 20 foot patch of extremely soft sand that gets everyone. I tried it in 4x2 the first time out this year - didn't seem to work well - but I wasn't going to sit there spinning tires trying to get out either lol. I launch the skis right off the beach so the back tires get in the water, depending on tide the worst the truck gets in up a few inches on the rims, which I clean when I get home. The G2s can pull out of the water no issues though.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The G2s made a big difference in grip. the SR-As used to slip all day. I can actually use 4x2 in most of the area where I needed 4x4 before, it's just about a 20 foot patch of extremely soft sand that gets everyone. I tried it in 4x2 the first time out this year - didn't seem to work well - but I wasn't going to sit there spinning tires trying to get out either lol. I launch the skis right off the beach so the back tires get in the water, depending on tide the worst the truck gets in up a few inches on the rims, which I clean when I get home. The G2s can pull out of the water no issues though.

Man I hope you are cleaning the heck out of that frame when you are done. Also looks like you are in my backyard!

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Try letting your tires down to 15 to 20 psi and easing off the fuel until the shaking stops. Wheel hop can be very damaging to your driveline, especially if it ever occurs on dry pavement think hole shot/ burn out. I don't know the exact science behind it but basically your wheel is up in the air spinning, then comes down and makes contact while spinning and grabs a little, then bounces back up in the air over and over that is probably what's causing the violent shaking of your truck so much that the hood is shaking. I don't recommend it personally.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hdSoVJQdDZw

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf