5.7 and 6.4 hemi Longevity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southern_welder93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey guys/gals new to the forum, first post. So I currently own a 2011 ram 1500 5.7 hemi. SO.. long story (sorry) bought the truck with around 57k miles on the clock, at around 75k miles i was getting on the highway and their was a terrible shake like the truck was going to fall apart, check engine light came on flashing then turned off. Took it to the dealer and they said they would almost have to see it happen, so left it with them they test drove it and it happened again. Long story short luckily it was under the powertrain warranty had a stuck lifter the crankshaft had lobes cut into it they said the engine was extremely gummed up. The truck was a lease before I bought it. Dealership couldnt give me a straight forward as to why it happened, looked all over the internet and only found two other times of this happening. Since then ive been changing my own oil, mobil 1 full synthetic or penzoil full synthetic with a bosch filter. 96k miles now and not one issue. Lower ball joints are getting worn so will be replacing them soon! So sorry this is so long! honestly, but would like to get a new rig this coming summer, looking at a 2014 6.4 hemi 2500hd. I dont really need the cummins, as well as the added maintenance just doesnt add up for me. BUT, lets say I get the 6.4 and put on 150k plus miles on the truck within a few years and want to keep the truck. Would it be work it to rebuild the motor? Such as have it professionally rebuilt? Also how many miles are on your trucks? Only reason I wouldnt do it with my current truck is becuase I would like to jump up to a bigger truck. THANKS!:)

SirGeorgeKillian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What I can tell you is the 6.4 was designed from the ground up to be a truck motor. It is not the same engine you see in the Scat Pack cars. Taking the previous owner out of the equation, and buying one new, with you taking good care of it, I don't think a rebuild would even be something you would have to think about at 150k.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Agreed. With proper maintenance from the beginning, I would not expect to be rebuilding the 6.4L at 150K.

OP
OP
S

southern_welder93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks guys! I have heard the 6.4 is built much more for long term low maintenance reliability! I'd hope to own the truck for quiet some time, I take extremely good care of my vehicles just put a lot of miles on them. I dont usually tow anything over a few thousand pounds either. Thanks again

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another vote for taking care of it. My wife is at 120k in her flex and though it's a pile of junk with the electrical the motor and transmission are still sound.

lmeavtitn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I know someone at work that bought a used 6.4 that was an old fleet truck. When he got the truck, it had around 165k miles and I was surprised how well it felt when I drove it. I agree with the 6.4 being a solid engine if taken care of how it's suppose to be cared for.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Same goes for most any engine, if cared for, they will last. 4.7L Toyota V8. I had 280,000 on it. only issue was valve rattle on startup. my current Hemi is at 175,000. no engine issues.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have no need for a 6.4 but I would love to drive one at some point just to see how awesome it is.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rebuild at 150k? That's no where near the end of its life. My work rig has a 4.7 in it and has 220k on it with no issues. Just take care of it and fix things when they need to be fixed and it will last. My rug will probably go over 300k

OP
OP
S

southern_welder93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Good to hear this! Most miles are non-towing miles, I put on almost 30k miles last year between going to Michigan for thanksgiving and hunting season. I'd be more than happy with the truck lasting 200k

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I met a guy recently, who travels all over the country building and refurbishing Chick Fil A restaurants. He was in a 2015 Ram 2500 Hemi, and he already had 168,000 miles on it. He has 5 Rams, and he keeps them till they hit 450,000 miles and then gets new ones. He said they have all been bullet proof reliable.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I met a guy recently, who travels all over the country building and refurbishing Chick Fil A restaurants. He was in a 2015 Ram 2500 Hemi, and he already had 168,000 miles on it. He has 5 Rams, and he keeps them till they hit 450,000 miles and then gets new ones. He said they have all been bullet proof reliable.

Highway miles are easy on a truck. 168K on a highway vehicle and 168K on a city vehicle will give two different results on current shape and problems encountered.