5.7 6.4 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scope432

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, originally I was playing around with idea of a hellcat swap into my ram but now I'm just going to swap in a 6.4 instead. I have a 2012 ram 2500 with the 5.7 in it. It will be the truck 6.4, not the srt, what I was wondering is how hard would this swap be? What all would I have to look out for? I know there are a lot of similarities between the two engines. Any advice would be apprechiated, thanks.

Fanta1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, originally I was playing around with idea of a hellcat swap into my ram but now I'm just going to swap in a 6.4 instead. I have a 2012 ram 2500 with the 5.7 in it. It will be the truck 6.4, not the srt, what I was wondering is how hard would this swap be? What all would I have to look out for? I know there are a lot of similarities between the two engines. Any advice would be apprechiated, thanks.

IMO, you’re better off just buying a new truck. The cost of the engine and the cost of the new wiring/computer won’t be cheap

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems like alot of work for 15hp and 29 lbs .

This. Would be cheaper do full bolts on get more power. I know curve won't be the same, but better for speed. Probably could do bolts ons, cam, and heads for cheaper and have a pretty quick truck. Of course I have to let the old man out.... if I was 23 with the money to buy a new motor - I would invest. I wasted so much money on car **** when I was younger. Wish I put it into something long lasting.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was going to do this as well but decided on just doing a cam to rebuild the top end.

I was wondering about using 6.1 parts in the heads and maybe the 6.4 cam bit was worried about clearances. If it would work it would be a low budget top end rebuild with a better curve and a bit more power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You would be much better off with a supercharger or swap the cam in your 5.7. The truck motor will make good power with a cam swap but there will be just enough configuration changes between the HD 6.4 and your 5.7 to make it difficult.

If you wanted to swap heads/etc I would suggest calling Modern Muscle Performance as they could easily provide all the details. Or just buy a new long block and swap over all the 5.7 accessories.

Terrible Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemiroid
I've done a bit of research and I think the cheapest way to swap a 392 is to buy a long block from Mopar ($6,500) and swap all of your truck's accessories and manifolds onto the new engine from your 5.7 Hemi. They should all bolt up exactly the same.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Of course I have to let the old man out.... if I was 23 with the money to buy a new motor - I would invest. I wasted so much money on car **** when I was younger. Wish I put it into something long lasting.

This posted by a 28 year old. What old man are you letting out? :roflsquared:
You speak the truth in general though about people regretting spending money in their youth. Wish I could have some of that back now.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 2500
Keep your non-MDS 5.7L and add some top end parts or forced induction if anything, the 6.4L is similar, but everything electronically controlled will be different and $$$ to swap over.
I'm with everyone else though, save your money.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
^^^^ ^^^^ agreed, save your loot bud. I wish I could go back to early 20's and smack myself upside my head.

Last edited:

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. ported 5.7 heads with 6.1 pushrods and rockers. Or stock heads with same.
2. 6.4L cam or aftermarket cam
3. Non MDS lifters
4. FBO after that
5. Tune

I went backwards and did 4&5 now I am looking at 1-3 because my cam is on its way out with 215k on it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro