5.7 car vs 5.7 truck motor from mopar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Whats the difference between the car 5.7 and truck 5.7 as far as being able to buy the mopar crate 5.7 which is a car motor. Other than the intake and dipstick and oil pan. What would be needed to put the car motor in a truck?

tuned by Jay Greene

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Probably the cam but not 100% on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
shane1981

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I tried googling those exact things but didnt find an exact answer

tuned by Jay Greene

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
It's it's a turn-key crate engine then you'll need to change the timing cover, all the accessories (water pump, alternator, A/C, p/s pump if required, crank pulley), the intake manifold, move the oil pickup tube support stud from the 2nd main bearing cap to the 4th, ensure you get the proper tone ring for your year (VVT are all the same), and the cam. Or you can notch the passenger side frame rail and drop the complete crate engine into the truck and fab up an intake and be done.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Why not just get the crate 6.4 and really make it worth your while :naughty:

You might try emailing Mopar Performance. Might get a generic response but you never know. I'd say if you knew a good dealership/service dpt give them a call and speak with a tech. Also try emailing/calling Moes Performance.

OP
OP
shane1981

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's it's a turn-key crate engine then you'll need to change the timing cover, all the accessories (water pump, alternator, A/C, p/s pump if required, crank pulley), the intake manifold, move the oil pickup tube support stud from the 2nd main bearing cap to the 4th, ensure you get the proper tone ring for your year (VVT are all the same), and the cam. Or you can notch the passenger side frame rail and drop the complete crate engine into the truck and fab up an intake and be done.
Its going in a 2015 ram with the 5.7 gonna do a custom cam and supercharger taking my time using my intake and oil pan i was hoping it would be kinda a direct swap on a saturday as its my daily and having a extra complete motor

tuned by Jay Greene

OP
OP
shane1981

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Why not just get the crate 6.4 and really make it worth your while :naughty:

You might try emailing Mopar Performance. Might get a generic response but you never know. I'd say if you knew a good dealership/service dpt give them a call and speak with a tech. Also try emailing/calling Moes Performance.
Yhe 6.4 would require alot of parts swapping from my motor andcwould ruin my complete extra motor and i wouldnt be able to do a direct swap due to it being incomplete from needing some parts from my motor. I would be doing the swap at a buddies house in his garage or in my back yard i dont have a shop. Im planning on doing the motor work in my man room inside the house so i need something as close to a absolute direct swap as possible

tuned by Jay Greene

Last edited:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Its going in a 2015 ram with the 5.7 gonna do a custom cam and supercharger taking my time using my intake and oil pan i was hoping it would be kinda a direct swap on a saturday as its my daily and having a extra complete motor

tuned by Jay Greene

If your current engine isn't toast then I'd pick up a forged short block instead and reuse your intake, heads, timing cover, etc. Reduces cost and gives you a better rotating assembly, plus you can pick your compression ratio. It's a weekend job to swap the engine and if you do long tube headers it's much easier to install the shortblock then the heads/headers. Just pick up a new timing set and the only thing you'll need to do is bolt the accessories on from the front which takes me 30min or less at this point.

OP
OP
shane1981

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If your current engine isn't toast then I'd pick up a forged short block instead and reuse your intake, heads, timing cover, etc. Reduces cost and gives you a better rotating assembly, plus you can pick your compression ratio. It's a weekend job to swap the engine and if you do long tube headers it's much easier to install the shortblock then the heads/headers. Just pick up a new timing set and the only thing you'll need to do is bolt the accessories on from the front which takes me 30min or less at this point.

Ive checked on all that the problem is that nobody does anything mopar around here and the core charges and shipping of everything ive looked at put the budget way over. The shipping of the crate motor is free and no core which would allow motor, cam and SC to come in right at the budget and i would be able to assemble it all on a stand then just swap it out on a weekend plus having the extra motor. I may just SC the motor i have and go from there getting a new motor assembled

tuned by Jay Greene