5.7 Thermostat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I seen and searched a bit here of owners referencing a 180 thermostat in their list of mods but haven't seen anything on the benefit of a 180. Obviously the motor will run cooler but I'm wondering why others put them in. What is the stock thermostat and why would the engineers choose something higher than 180?
Thanks in advance

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I seen and searched a bit here of owners referencing a 180 thermostat in their list of mods but haven't seen anything on the benefit of a 180. Obviously the motor will run cooler but I'm wondering why others put them in. What is the stock thermostat and why would the engineers choose something higher than 180?
Thanks in advance
The engine makes more power at lower temps...something the minority of customers want or care about.

The stock thermostat temp is better for fuel economy and emissions. Also better for running the heater in cold climates. Something the majority of people want.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
The engine makes more power at lower temps...something the minority of customers want or care about.

The stock thermostat temp is better for fuel economy and emissions. Also better for running the heater in cold climates. Something the majority of people want.

First off the engine does run cooler....also no problems with heat in winter either... cooling running engine is also better...all newer cars try to meet govt mandates...as most didn't buy these trucks for the mpgs....also many including myself rip off the clutch fans and install the v6 electric fans... I also installed the ATI dampener pulley at same time for a great mod and upgrade!!! Highly recommend if your after performance. This frees up engine bay as well because you can remove the big shroud...bay looks better and truck picks up some gains as well as runs cooler which is better for the motor on long run. Stock thermostat is 203 many install 180.

Last edited:

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
First off the engine does run cooler....also no problems with heat in winter either... cooling running engine is also better...all newer cars try to meet govt mandates...as most didn't buy these trucks for the mpgs....also many including myself rip off the clutch fans and install the v6 electric fans... I also installed the ATI dampener pulley at same time for a great mod and upgrade!!! Highly recommend if your after performance. This frees up engine bay as well because you can remove the big shroud...bay looks better and truck picks up some gains as well as runs cooler which is better for the motor on long run. Stock thermostat is 203 many install 180.
I guess I should've added that I'm in the minority and yes it's a worthy mod for little money. :)

Currently looking at everything I need for my 2011 to delete clutch fan and 180 tstat. It definitely cleans things up under the hood.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I tried to post some pics of the bay but this forum cut the size limit of the pics which sucks for us because people miss out and I'll be dam if I am gonna reformat them or set up another pic account to post em... it's too bad they did this.:3681700201_eef6d1e2

Also I spent the extra $$$ and bought an OEM efan....worth the extra cash and is quiet.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I tried to post some pics of the bay but this forum cut the size limit of the pics which sucks for us because people miss out and I'll be dam if I am gonna reformat them or set up another pic account to post em... it's too bad they did this.:3681700201_eef6d1e2

Also I spent the extra $$$ and bought an OEM efan....worth the extra cash and is quiet.
If you access the site from your phone a lot, try downloading Tapatalk and access the site that way. I find it to be easier to browse, and photo uploads are also easy. They are uploaded using Tapatalk servers thus bypassing the current forum software issue with picture size.

From the computer I use a site called imgur and post photo links.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I bought from Matt @ Moes

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Motorad makes a 190 stat. If you fear 180 is too cold it's a nice compromise.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
the stat is mainly so a custom tuner can be a little more aggresive with the tune because the cooler the engine the less prone to detonation so more timing can be added plus heat is the enemy of all things. without changing the e-fan settings and timing a cooler stat realy doesnt do anything

tuned by Jay Greene

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use a 180 because HEMIFEVER told me to get one. :)

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I read an article years ago where they determined heat soak starts to affect engine power starting at 195ish degrees IIRC.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got a 180 stat. No mods or upgrades. Would it be ok to use or should I leave the stock stat in?
As long as you use the stock clutch fan otherwise you’ll need a tuner to adjust your fan on settings. 2015 needs an unlocked pcm in order to tune.