5.7 true dual exhaust bump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 ram 1500.
5.7hemi - 8 speed- 4x4.
it has 65,000 mile on it and so far never had any big issue.
I had true dual exhaust with the x-pipe on since 25,00 and I have notice there a bump (like someone rear end me) when I let off the throttle completely to apply the break or not stepping on the gas gradually at a stop.

I have also notice when I'm going down hill, it seem like it has engine break and the rpm rises. I'm sure that not the case and it has some incorrect back pressure or something to that effect.

Any knowledge on this bizarre symptom will be greatly appreciated.
Thank for your time guys

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
I have a 2014 ram 1500.
5.7hemi - 8 speed- 4x4.
it has 65,000 mile on it and so far never had any big issue.
I had true dual exhaust with the x-pipe on since 25,00 and I have notice there a bump (like someone rear end me) when I let off the throttle completely to apply the break or not stepping on the gas gradually at a stop.

I have also notice when I'm going down hill, it seem like it has engine break and the rpm rises. I'm sure that not the case and it has some incorrect back pressure or something to that effect.

Any knowledge on this bizarre symptom will be greatly appreciated.
Thank for your time guys
My 2016 does it. Especially when in tow mode. It uses the engine to help brake the vehicle. Thats what your feeling. Completely normal.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
OP

2014ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
didn't know gas automatic does that. I'm just use to the diesel doing that.
thank you for the reply

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
didn't know gas automatic does that. I'm just use to the diesel doing that.
thank you for the reply
There is always the feeling of drag except in the top couple of overdrive gears.

I get the thump too and have for 54K miles now. At first I thought it was the 32 gallon gas tank sloshing, but now I think its either the down shift into first or the transfer case going to neutral. Nothing serious, just an unexpected push right as I reach a stop.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is normal with the 8-speed and other transmissions down shift when slowing down. If you push the tow button, you will really notice it.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i have noticed if you give a quick bit of gas you can force an upshift and then coast without any drag.