5.7L Hemi spark plug change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I saw a bunch of questions about this but didn't see an actual thread on doing this. I refuse to pay my dealer $400 for this and this should be done every 30k on 2013 and older Hemi's.

The drivers side was somewhat difficult but not bad. The brake booster is in the way but it's not that bad. I started with this side because I figured it was the worst side. However I had a much harder time with the last cylinder on the passenger side.

There's a huge wiring harness going from the pcm plus 2 heater core hoses right over cylinder 8. You can unclip the hoses and the wiring harness to somewhat move them out of the way but there's still not much room.

I used the Mopar NGK plugs and got them on Amazon: Set of 16 Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram 5.7 Liter HEMI NKG Spark Plugs Mopar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LME0BQQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_bu1jzbVV0TCPQ

Supplies used:
Nickle Antiseize compound
Dielectric grease
old blanket
spark plug gap tool (to verify .043 gap)

Tools used:
5/8 spark plug socket
5/8 deep socket
2 3" extensions
1 1.5" extension
1 universal joint adapter (didn't end up using this)
Small telescoping magnet

I let the truck sit overnight so it was stone cold. Always a good idea with aluminum heads. Start by blowing the engine off. You definitely don't want dirt and debris getting inside the combustion chamber. Once you get the coils off blow the spark plug Wells out again to make sure they're clean. I started with the rear cylinders first. You have to lay over the engine to reach the rear cylinders which is what you need the blanket for.

Coils come off easy as there is dielectric grease on them from the factory. The plugs themselves came out surprisingly hard and we're making a scary squealing noise. This is probably due to my truck sitting a lot and it being outside 24/7 so do you expect this. I did one cylinder at a time to minimize the chance of dirt getting in the combustion chamber. You will need the spark plug socket to remove the plug or the telescoping magnet to remove the plug is you're using a regular deep socket.

My plugs have about 28600 miles on them and all came out looking great with normal wear on them so if yours look like the picture your engine is running fine.

When installing new plugs, put a *light* smear of antiseize​ on the threads and a dab of dielectric on the end of the plug the coil attaches to. For the cylinders with little clearance, carefully drop the plug into the well, then drop the regular deep 5/8 socket, then a 3" extension, then the 1.5" extension. I rotated the plug counterclockwise until they I clicked to ensure they weren't crossthreading. That would be a bad day. Then torque to 13 ft/lbs or approx 157in/lbs. There are crush washers on the plugs that crush before finally seating. Before reinstalling the coil, put a dab of dielectric grease in the end of the boot to ensure they don't seize to the plug over time.

Repeat 15 more times and you're done.

Things to note:
Be care while laying on the engine with a blanket over it. There's lots of small plastic things that can get broken. A layover creeper would be ideal for this job. 2014+ trucks with Platinum plugs, I would still pull the plugs out and antiseize at 30-40k of you plan on keeping the truck.

Not a bad job at all and an easy way to save $340. Hope this helps someone!
b04aa6a2f3516b44ed0e30e353051b94.jpgf87d17982804a627a8bebf762789ab5c.jpgaea52460d41a525ab0fcb2a3e53c78af.jpg

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah I picked one of those up with my plugs when I ordered. Sorry for not mentioning it.

Great Write Up Corey.

Bee1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Sport 4x4
Engine
345 Hemi
With a lift it's much easier to remove the plastic wheel wells to access the plugs.

What I did today exactly

Removed plastic wheel wells

And a 3/8" rubber fuel hose in a few different lengths makes threading in the new plugs a breeze

Anyways

Also got to spray the backside of front fenders with fluid film again

Also got a good look at NO broken exhaust manifold studs yet anyways

I should just pull the damn exhaust manifolds and have them planed along with a new stud kit

My 2011 has only 35,000 miles on it , plugs looked perfect , but I was more concerned about 6 years old and getting the plugs out .
Few plugs where a little tough

lagerstout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I knew I forgot something, 28600
That sounds a little early. Aren't these supposed to last around 50-60k? I have 44k on my factory plugs and still getting good performance and fuel economy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I want to chime in & give these new Iridium spark plugs a Long Drawn Out (Golf Clap)!

My sons 2014 GMC Sierra Z71 at the time we brought it home had 160,351 miles on her.
Tool Pushers (Work Truck) so 3/4 of the miles were highway.

Stock plugs! He said he never changed them. The 5.3L was still smooth & quiet except for the #1 /#2 lifters are a bit noisy.
I was so worried about removing the plugs as well as the actual condition of the plugs.

Long story short: Plugs come out of the aluminum heads somewhat normal. (Motor was Cold). All of the plugs looked to be in good condition. If you showed me the plugs not knowing? I would have thought they had been in service for at least 50-60K miles.

They were clean & in very decent shape.
These Iridium plugs are amazing & worth every penny! We replaced with ACDelco Iridium Plugs.

I wish I had taken pics but it never crossed my mind for this forum.
You can't go wrong installing these new style of plugs!

160K miles on the stock ACDelco Iridium plugs & they still had plenty of life left.

Last edited:

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Those plugs may still be good, I've certainly seen worse, but the idea is to replace them before they are messed up. Clearly, some of those plugs have seen their best miles behind them, I'd say perfect timing and clearly there is a good reason why we need to replace at 30k. So has anyone changed the wiring harnesses to use the other plugs? Is that all that is necessary?

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Remember the good old days when changing out your spark plugs was a 45 minute job (with a few cold ones)? Now they bury the plugs underneath engine components and hide them in deep plug wells so you can spend 4 hours "planking" across the top of your engine to change them out. When I did the ones on my F150 it felt like someone had punched me in the spine the next day. I am glad mine has the longer lasting plugs for sure.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Remember the good old days when changing out your spark plugs was a 45 minute job (with a few cold ones)? Now they bury the plugs underneath engine components and hide them in deep plug wells so you can spend 4 hours "planking" across the top of your engine to change them out. When I did the ones on my F150 it felt like someone had punched me in the spine the next day. I am glad mine has the longer lasting plugs for sure.

Yep, my 1999 Dodge Magnum was so easy. Nothing to it.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those plugs may still be good, I've certainly seen worse, but the idea is to replace them before they are messed up. Clearly, some of those plugs have seen their best miles behind them, I'd say perfect timing and clearly there is a good reason why we need to replace at 30k. So has anyone changed the wiring harnesses to use the other plugs? Is that all that is necessary?

This is why they recommend every 30k. As the plugs start to go bad, the pcm senses an increased resistance from the coil(s) and ramps up the coil. Running them like this for long periods speeds up the coils going bad.

AFAIK the coils are different for the 2014+ Hemi's so it should just require 8 new coils and the platinum/irridium plugs. There might need to be a pcm flash by the dealer but I'm not sure about that...

Last edited:

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just bought 16 plugs from auto zone.... should have ordered off amazon but I want do them Saturday. Also bought the magnetic socket extension and anti seize grease. I'll pack a cooler.