5.7L Hemi spark plug change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my 2014 is at 50k miles. When should I change the plugs as I've read they are different.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So my 2014 is at 50k miles. When should I change the plugs as I've read they are different.
Technically they're good to 100k. If you're planning on keeping the truck, I would pull them out, check the gap, put antiseize on the threads, dielectric on the coil boots and reinstall.

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Technically they're good to 100k. If you're planning on keeping the truck, I would pull them out, check the gap, put antiseize on the threads, dielectric on the coil boots and reinstall.

If you go through all of this trouble, put new ones in! This is kind of a pain in the ass job to do.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good luck, let us know how it goes

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced the plugs in my 2007 Rams 5.7 at 40K and 80K miles. Each time the plugs looked very good. It was a 2 hour project the second time. Just make sure you put a little electrical silicone grease on the inside of the coil plug boots, and a little anti-seize on the plug threads.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The guy at autozone said that he recommends changing the lower plugs at 50k miles and uppers at 100k on the hemi. He said that the lowers receive more pressure from combustion.

Is that actually a thing or was he making a sales pitch?

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The guy at autozone said that he recommends changing the lower plugs at 50k miles and uppers at 100k on the hemi. He said that the lowers receive more pressure from combustion.

There are not "upper and lower" plugs on a 5.7. The 4.7L has an upper and lower bank of plugs that I believe get changed at different intervals. This may be what hes talking about...

kris72079

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

If a plug located in different spot in the combustion chamber is receiving more wear than another then you have a different problem. Cylinder head and piston top design along with ignition timing events are specifically worked in an attempt to make VERY even cylinder pressures. Pre- detonation and poor combustion chamber efficiency lead to uneven chamber pressures. Uneven cylinder pressures actually lead to premature cylinder wall wear from the piston failing to maintain perfect center in the cylinder. This is quite common in "less than perfect" high performance engines and engines using very short skirted pistons.

Long story short, no this should not be the case.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If a plug located in different spot in the combustion chamber is receiving more wear than another then you have a different problem. Cylinder head and piston top design along with ignition timing events are specifically worked in an attempt to make VERY even cylinder pressures. Pre- detonation and poor combustion chamber efficiency lead to uneven chamber pressures. Uneven cylinder pressures actually lead to premature cylinder wall wear from the piston failing to maintain perfect center in the cylinder. This is quite common in "less than perfect" high performance engines and engines using very short skirted pistons.

Long story short, no this should not be the case.
Ok good. All my old plugs looked relatively the same.

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
Anyone suggest the champion iridium?? Was only good plug my local parts store had in stock. Putting them in Thursday..

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'd get the Mopar ones off amazon then. Research the difference between yours and the NKG Mopar plugs. I know if you put the wrong plugs in your truck will hate you and will act out. 2013 was the last year we have to worry about it, the 2014's I believe got the 100k plugs and packs.

I bought these ones.

Last edited:

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
Mine is a 13....figures. Mechanic shop said they were good ones but they aren’t total Ram guys like you guys so just wondering. Made an appt for Thursday so won’t have time for Amazon. Have to take a drive and check other shops inventory. Those Champion Iridium junk? They were 5 bucks a plug so I thought I did good by not buying cheap ones...

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine is a 13....figures. Mechanic shop said they were good ones but they aren’t total Ram guys like you guys so just wondering. Made an appt for Thursday so won’t have time for Amazon. Have to take a drive and check other shops inventory. Those Champion Iridium junk? They were 5 bucks a plug so I thought I did good by not buying cheap ones...
Those are good plugs, just not for a 2013 and older Hemi. They require very specific plugs with very specific heat range and conductivity. If it were me I'd return those and order the NGK Mopar ones from Amazon like Burla mentioned.

HJCartman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 Ram 5.7. Am I suppose to use a certain spark plug for my truck or would any spark plug do? And I feel like doing mechanic work on my 98 Durango was much easier compared to know. lol

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fyi they changed these in 2013.. not sure if it was mid production but my buddies 2013 is the 100k plug setup for the 5.7

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How can I tell which plugs I have? Mine is very late '13 with the 8 spd.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
How can I tell which plugs I have? Mine is very late '13 with the 8 spd.

Pull one and check. Left plug is copper, right plug is irridium.

ngk_delco_1a.jpg