5.7L swap to 6.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

want new truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Can I swap a 5.7L hemi with a 6.4L hemi on a 2015 ram 1500

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He's right though. I don't get why you'd do a motor swap on a brand new truck though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
If you're willing to spend all the money on a brand new truck AND then a new 6.4L hemi engine. AND THEN spend the money to put in in and make it work, you might as well just buy a Hellcat. It'll cost the same and will give you more HP and fun factor.

I saw your other post about this as well. If you want to have that much power you should just buy a used SRT car with a non VVT 6.1L hemi in it and mod the hell out of it. You could get much more power and fun factor from tat for alot less money than buying a brand new truck and then swapping a brand new motor into it. Especially a motor that doesn't have too much of an aftermarket parts supply yet.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
On a 15 or your 05?
I'm assuming you mean to ask if it's an option
The 6.4 is only available in 2500

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So just wondering have you ever done a swap on a modern vehicle before?
Chances are it'll physically fit but then you have to think about is the wiring harness the same and I don't mean the part in the engine bay but the whole body harness that runs under the dash and vehicle itself, cause everything talks to each other now.
Then you need to get a PCM and all corrisponding computers so they will talk to each other correctly or reprogrammed to which we know dealing with tunes that Dodge doesn't let that readily happen.
Now here is the fun part if there is a difference in transmissions from the truck you pull the motor from and the truck you are putting it into and you can't reprogram the computer to accept the new trans you will have to get the old trans so it works right.
So these are just a few things that could possibly happen, now when guys say if you have enough money thats not a ******** answer because a custom shop will charge you more than the truck is worth in labor to make this happen.
Great ambition and if you do get this to work I hope you would put a build log on here cause I for one want to see if it will turn out.

skHemi64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well, the 5.7 and 6.4 are available for the 2500, so you'd need to KNOW the difference on how each engine is installed on those 2500 trucks. Then you need to know the difference between a 5.7 2500 and a 5.7 1500 and how they are installed. Biggest challenge would be computers and wiring harnesses. Best to leave all that work to a professional shop willing to do all the work for you with an unlimited budget.

Seems like a lot of work to do and money to spend just to be different.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Kid, I seriously doubt you can handle more hp than a well set up 1500 Hemi can put out.

Gears are a whole lot cheaper than an engine anyway. Do a CAI, Hemi Fever tune, and 4.10s or better yet 4.56s in the 6 speed, or just get the new 8.

Want to really go fast, get a used R1.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Putting a 6.4L in a brand new truck is dumb.

For the amount of money you would be looking at spending, get a new Corvette or GTR.

Buy an older used truck and swap in a hellcat or viper motor. Same or less cost and way better. Or just buy a SRT-10 and build that.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
While I agree that it is pointless to do this to a brand new truck, it can and has been done.

To put a 6.4 into your 5.7 truck, you have to do switch the 5.7 intake manifold, wiring harness, oil pan, and timing cover over to the 6.4 block. From here, the motor will bolt right in, and is just as easy to tune as the regular 5.7. It is actually much easier to do than many people think. The problem is finding a new or lightly used 6.4 for less than $6000.

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Keep in mind the HD Ram 6.4L is NOT the same as an SRT 6.4L

I've already got a Fast Ram (500WHP)
adding a Blower to a 5.7 is way cheaper than a 6.4L motor swap (with less than 400whp)

This is What you really want... :naughty:

Local dealer just brought one in,
already murdered out for me :D
...just needs tinted windows/tails and RetroShop projectors

HellCat FTW!

HellCat_zpsde5fce01.jpg

HellCat2_zps0149f91c.jpg

HellCat_zpsb3ae0d87.jpg

Last edited:

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
he's asked the same question in like 5 different threads. he's 20, I wonder if he just posts this over and over for ***** and giggles..then whacks off to the answers.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Holy **** this dude...i think the biggest concern would be your transmission..if youre really serious about this you can buy a retrofit kit for it and modify it to fit in a ram1500 probably..i think this is all hogwash personally

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I mean, I'm probably going to put a 6.4L in my truck at some point.... Sort of.

The plan it to get a 5.7L VVT stroked to a 6.4L shortblock and bolt it in at some point. I don't want to mess with the fully custom engine stuff on my daily driver, just a nice prepacked shortblock that I can bolt in one weekend.

Pair that up with some forced induction and mmmmm....

SithCommando

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're willing to spend all the money on a brand new truck AND then a new 6.4L hemi engine. AND THEN spend the money to put in in and make it work, you might as well just buy a Hellcat. It'll cost the same and will give you more HP and fun factor.

I saw your other post about this as well. If you want to have that much power you should just buy a used SRT car with a non VVT 6.1L hemi in it and mod the hell out of it. You could get much more power and fun factor from tat for alot less money than buying a brand new truck and then swapping a brand new motor into it. Especially a motor that doesn't have too much of an aftermarket parts supply yet.

Just my 2 cents...

I too am wanting to do a 6.4L HD swap. The difference for me is, my truck that I want to drop it into is a 2008 1500. So what are the chances of possibility, 1. And 2, ease of transition, providing it's possible at all.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I too am wanting to do a 6.4L HD swap. The difference for me is, my truck that I want to drop it into is a 2008 1500. So what are the chances of possibility, 1. And 2, ease of transition, providing it's possible at all.
Is it possilbe.......sure. People swap Hemi V-8's into Jeep Wranglers all the time. For the "ease of transitition"...that's a really loaded question and depends on the person's skill level. I can say that it's way more involved then simply unbolting the old engine and bolting the 6.4 back in. Besides for the physical aspect of the swap that include engine mounts and mating to the transmission you need to consider cooling and fuel supply, and of course all of the electronics.

SithCommando

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it possilbe.......sure. People swap Hemi V-8's into Jeep Wranglers all the time. For the "ease of transitition"...that's a really loaded question and depends on the person's skill level. I can say that it's way more involved then simply unbolting the old engine and bolting the 6.4 back in. Besides for the physical aspect of the swap that include engine mounts and mating to the transmission you need to consider cooling and fuel supply, and of course all of the electronics.

Of course I would be getting a new transmission that would preferably be able to be shifted by the column selector. If not, I hear sound german automotive is working on a few things.

As far as fuel supply goes, an upgraded fuel pump and larger diameter line?

And cooling. Maybe put in an SRT10 radiator?

This is all theoretical and hypothetical anyways for right this second. But I would like to get all the steps thought over with more knowledgeable folks, such as y'all on this forum.

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
he's asked the same question in like 5 different threads. he's 20, I wonder if he just posts this over and over for ***** and giggles..then whacks off to the answers.

77ebadd2e2ad7ca32e52906a976a896e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk