6-speed transmission use

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok,
Looked thru the manual several times, but was wondering if anyone knew of a good source of info on what transmission mode does what?

I mean, "3" uses 1st, 2nd and 3rd
"4" uses 1st, 2nd, and 4th Gear
"5" uses 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th
"6" uses 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th
and Drive, according to the manual, uses 1st - 6th gear

I just wanted to know if there is some kind of reference video out there on the theroy on when to use what gear

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank heavens I have a manual where 1 uses 1, 2 uses 2, etc. I'm definitely not bright enough to drive an automatic. :)

OP
OP
Beamer

Beamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To simplify things:

"3rd" gear is only accesable when you manually shift the trans. If left in Drive, it skips it.

But if you manually shift to 3, you have 3rd. But use anything above that, and it will shift 1st, 2nd, then to 4th.

Now, to make it ever more complicated. 5th gear is really 4th gear, and 6th gear is really 5th.

At least that is what I read lol.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is correct. 2nd and 3rd are very similar in ratio. If you try slowing the truck down by manually shifting the transmission, you'll see what I mean.

Due to my high elevation and continual hill covered terrain, I typically drive my truck around in "4". This also disables that pesky MDS around town. I'm sure in the flat lands and low elevation, it works great. But here at 7200' it sucks. all it does is bog down, then turn off. shift and rev up. stupid waste of gas. I get better mileage without it.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i just put mine in "D" and mash the pedal to the floor

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I just wanted to know if there is some kind of reference video out there on the theroy on when to use what gear

Its not really complicated. You use a lower gear if you need engine braking, want to limit speed, or want the extra torque.

Say you are driving down a mountain highway in West Virginia and constantly having to tap your brakes to stay at your speed. Select a lower gear so that the engine braking does some of the slowing for you and you don't set your brakes on fire. Same if you are starting to slide on a downhill snowy or muddy surface. Just like learning to shift a manual, you can tell if you are in the right gear by engine sound.

Speed limits and extra torque are probably not going to be required outside of farm work or off-roading, but you can see where you might want extra wheel spin to claw your way out of something or to keep your speed down over rough terrain and not beat yourself to death.

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Say you are driving down a mountain highway in West Virginia and constantly having to tap your brakes to stay at your speed. Select a lower gear so that the engine braking does some of the slowing for you and you don't set your brakes on fire.

I found out that in my truck that if the cruise is set to say 60mph and you go down a steep grade, and get above around 65mph, the truck will down shift automatically and keep you at your set cruise speed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio