65rfe 4th gen 6 speed auto xsmn .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Stopping at the store to get an inch pound torque wrench on Wednesday. That's the last thing that I need (forgot i needed it) to do my transmission fluid change mother's Day weekend....

Happy Mother's Day to me LOL:roflsquared:

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Stopping at the store to get an inch pound torque wrench on Wednesday. That's the last thing that I need (forgot i needed it) to do my transmission fluid change mother's Day weekend....

Happy Mother's Day to me LOL:roflsquared:

I've done this 3 times and you don't need a torque wrench, unless you plan on dropping the valve body.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I've done this 3 times and you don't need a torque wrench, unless you plan on dropping the valve body.

I understand that it's not "needed".... but being that there are so many bolts I would like to make them all torqued to the same exact, correct, spec. The more bolts there are holding on a single thing, the more trouble you can run into with a torque spec IMO. Slightly over or slightly under on all of them can make a huge difference being there are so many. For me it's hard to argue with a torque wrench when it only cost 30 bucks and I have hundreds into fluid and a pan. I need a new one for my guns anyways.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought and inch pound torque wrench when I did my trans pan...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Reactions: U&A
OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know I started this thread about the 6 speed 65RFE Xsmn , but I just watched a video on how to get the 8 speed xsmn out of park for towing or moving a disabled 8 speed Ram with a dead battery , good video by the Motor City Mechanic .

This guy has lots of Ram videos , enjoy

https://youtu.be/AgUZpYpzCTI

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
What is a reasonable amount of time to have the pan off the tranny to let the fluid drip. I assume the longer the better to help prevent fluid from dripping down on the RTV when im installing the new one?

Also, how long should i wait to let the new RTV cure before filling up with new fluid?

Using the MOPAR RTV.

Thanks guys

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is a reasonable amount of time to have the pan off the tranny to let the fluid drip. I assume the longer the better to help prevent fluid from dripping down on the RTV when im installing the new one?

Also, how long should i wait to let the new RTV cure before filling up with new fluid?

Using the MOPAR RTV.

Thanks guys

I let mine drip for a couple hours with the pan off. It was pretty much done dripping at that point.

Mopar RTV sets up quickly so get everything ready to put on the trans before you apply the rtv to the pan.

Once the pan was on I waited another couple hours before filling the trans with fluid. It says wait 24 hours or something before filling with fluid but I never had a leak waiting 2 hours.

Also watch the trans case when you're cleaning the old rtv off it's crazy sharp!

I forget, are you putting a drain plug in the stock pan?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I let mine drip for a couple hours with the pan off. It was pretty much done dripping at that point.

Mopar RTV sets up quickly so get everything ready to put on the trans before you apply the rtv to the pan.

Once the pan was on I waited another couple hours before filling the trans with fluid. It says wait 24 hours or something before filling with fluid but I never had a leak waiting 2 hours.

Also watch the trans case when you're cleaning the old rtv off it's crazy sharp!

I forget, are you putting a drain plug in the stock pan?

Thanks for your help. And i have a PML deep pan, 11079

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Oh yeah that's right, would love to see pics

I posted pics a few weeks ago. To be honest I'm not sure if it was on this thread or the synthetic oil thread sometimes I get them mixed up when posting . LOL

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I may be installing my 45RFE MAG-HYTEC pan on my 65RFE Xsmn next weekend ( Finally ) if all goes well ..... working lots of OT & Remodeling the house while living in it and just heard my renter is moving out of a rental I have

If the planets align and work cooperates I'll be changing my engine oil to the pup 40 wt 4ea and pup 30 wt 3ea qts , take an oil sample of my Redline oil and change my xsmn fluid to Redline C+ & Mag-Hytec pan and change the Xsfer case oil as well ....can't wait !

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
66RFE

See signature for truck info. I will update as I go along. The process has started by making sure with visual inspection that the new pan will fit without clearance issues. I removed one bolt to make sure it was the same thread pitch as what came with the new pan. I broke loose all of the bolts to make sure none were stuck and I would not be screwed ( pun intended) just finish drilling a 3/16 hole to drain the transmission.

I have a drain plug kit for back up if this does not work so I can reinstall the stock pan.

Here's the first pick of the process.

Sorry it's sideways

Attachments

• IMG_1622.jpg
    IMG_1622.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 24

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
So I've run into a problem I need some advice. How the **** did you guys get that stupid O ring thing off for the take up filter. I cannot get the one off that was put on from factory and I have it so messed up I cannot just put a filter on to reuse it.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I've run into a problem I need some advice. How the **** did you guys get that stupid O ring thing off for the take up filter. I cannot get the one off that was put on from factory and I have it so messed up I cannot just put a filter on to reuse it.

Oh boy that sucks. Yeah I cheated and left mine in because I could see me destroying it.....

Heres a video I watched before I did mine. Its a 545RFE in a dakota but its essentially the same trans. https://youtu.be/Nf3F-CLn2aM?t=9m30s

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Aftermarket pan is on.

Did you guys fully tighten the bolts right when you put the pan on or did you just snug them and let the RTV cure before you tighten them down fully ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Aftermarket panties on.

Did you guys fully tighten the bolts right when you put the pan on or did you just snug them and let the RTV cure before you tighten them down fully ?
I've always snuged down evenly initially & waited an hour or two then torqued to specs then add fluid , start it up cycle through the gears a few times set the E brake & put into Nutral check & adjutant the fluid .....
Drive it to get temps up , reverify fluid level ( adjust accordingly ) then after the xsmn pan has cooled to outside air temp I tq check all the pan bolts .

Not saying this is the best way , just the way I've done it for years and I've never had any leaks or issues .

Hope this helps and how bout some pics of the pan .

Did you get the sump filter seal replaced ?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I've always snuged down evenly initially & waited an hour or two then torqued to specs then add fluid , start it up cycle through the gears a few times set the E brake & put into Nutral check & adjutant the fluid .....
Drive it to get temps up , reverify fluid level ( adjust accordingly ) then after the xsmn pan has cooled to outside air temp I tq check all the pan bolts .

Not saying this is the best way , just the way I've done it for years and I've never had any leaks or issues .

Hope this helps and how bout some pics of the pan .

Did you get the sump filter seal replaced ?

Very helpful. And hemi's video was a big help thank you for that sir . I was afraid to be too rough with it then I saw him hitting it with a hammer and a screwdriver. I did that and it came right off.

I'll take some pictures in the morning when I go out to fill it up and post some explanations with the pictures. I found a really easy way to break the seal between the pan and the transmission being the RTV acts like a glue.

Last edited: