65rfe 4th gen 6 speed auto xsmn .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I have both tunes too. Cool thanks for the info!
Which are you happier with? Jay is awesome to work with and will adjust it to your liking. Sean still hasn't adjusted my shift points for the converter and gear change.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well that settles it , when I get a tune I'm getting a Jay Green tune because I've heard the same squwak twice in as many days [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ahh , i see [emoji106]

This video the guy says it goes behind the radiator ...that makes more sense [emoji106][emoji106]

But if you watch, Matt installs it right in front of the radiator which pulls the air from the grill to the intake.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well that settles it , when I get a tune I'm getting a Jay Green tune because I've heard the same squwak twice in as many days [emoji106][emoji106]

Sean is pretty good, but Jay responds quickly, makes the adjustment you want, and is very friendly with questions. I've asked him a ton. I like Sean's tune, but he didn't seem to think adjustments need to be made or want to.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Which are you happier with? Jay is awesome to work with and will adjust it to your liking. Sean still hasn't adjusted my shift points for the converter and gear change.

Honestly I like Sean's tunes a little better. More of a seat of the pants difference. Not huge but it's there. However Jays tunes work better with my truck, I had massive pinging on an 89 HF tune running 93 octane. The HF 93 octane tune pinged every time I touched the gas pedal, it was bad. Now running a JG 89 tune with much less pinging and virtually the same performance. Jay also created me a Tow Tune for when I tow my camper. Sean basically said it was either something wrong with my Hemi or the gas sucks. I know the gas isn't the greatest around here because my work van pings like crazy all the time. Not much I can do about that. I run Shell or Mobil 93.

Another thing was Sean had me do several logs. Jay didn't have me do any logs.

That's funny, I found Sean easier to work with than Jay. He got back to me a little quicker than Jay as well. Not that Jay was bad or anything, just took him longer to get back to me. Might mean that he's busier... Funny how it seems they both act differently with different people.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I had at least 4* ST knock on Sean's and he said it was nothing to worry about. Jay's I get none or maybe 1. I do feel Sean's part throttle driveability is better and I don't know how to describe it, but Jay has done so much adjusting for me with no complaints I can't say enough good about him. If Sean seemed more willing to adjust a few things they'd be equal to me. I have noticed Jay has gotten incredibly popular and he's even expressed on Facebook that he sometimes struggles keeping up.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, I had at least 4* ST knock on Sean's and he said it was nothing to worry about. Jay's I get none or maybe 1. I do feel Sean's part throttle driveability is better and I don't know how to describe it, but Jay has done so much adjusting for me with no complaints I can't say enough good about him. If Sean seemed more willing to adjust a few things they'd be equal to me. I have noticed Jay has gotten incredibly popular and he's even expressed on Facebook that he sometimes struggles keeping up.

Yeah I was getting at least 5-6* of ST knock on the HF 89 tune and then 1-2* of LT knock. Jays I'll get 4* of ST knock when its really hot out or if I'm towing with the non tow tune. Maybe I'll shoot Jay an email and get his opinion on that.

Sorry R.L.K. for getting off topic!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thinking about getting a Vararam but if it blocks part of the trans cooler then I'll probably pass. Do you have any pics of what you removed?

As much as I like these, I have seen pictures of the vararam full of snow. I am down NJ and that was enough to keep me away. Being in cape cod, you might have the same issue. Btw, this was the only Cai I ever considered for my Rams.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

As much as I like these, I have seen pictures of the vararam full of snow. I am down NJ and that was enough to keep me away. Being in cape cod, you might have the same issue. Btw, this was the only Cai I ever considered for my Rams.
We get a bunch of snow here, I never removed the Vararam once last winter. If I'm ever concerned I just put the stock intake back on. I bought a second IAT sensor so I just keep one in the Vararam and one in the stock tubing making it a quick switch.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We get a bunch of snow here, I never removed the Vararam once last winter. If I'm ever concerned I just put the stock intake back on. I bought a second IAT sensor so I just keep one in the Vararam and one in the stock tubing making it a quick switch.

That's a good idea

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another update. I think I figured out part of the problem. The lower valance attachment on the Vararam was covering a good portion of the transmission cooler. I removed it and put a small shim to to uncover the cooler and it seems to be helping. It's been around 90-95 and transmission temps seem to keep between 150-163* in stop and go, and 145-155* on the highway. I'm happy with that. I've seen no noticeable change in performance with the Vararam changed up.

I have the Vararam now, could explain the shim you are talking about? I'm assuming you mean on top of the cooler? I'm a little worried about towing my camper with that air dam in place. Also, without that air dam does the Vararam flop around a bit more? Seems like that air dam is what locks the front of the unit in place....

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Vararam now, could explain the shim you are talking about? I'm assuming you mean on top of the cooler? I'm a little worried about towing my camper with that air dam in place. Also, without that air dam does the Vararam flop around a bit more? Seems like that air dam is what locks the front of the unit in place....
I bend a piece of aluminum so it props up the Vararam a little. This way the cooler is completely uncovered while still leaving room for air to flow in. I placed the aluminum on the sill on the top of the cooler. The top edge of the Vararam around the filter presses against the bottom of the hood keeping it down. I haven't noticed the Vararam flopping around.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bend a piece of aluminum so it props up the Vararam a little. This way the cooler is completely uncovered while still leaving room for air to flow in. I placed the aluminum on the sill on the top of the cooler. The top edge of the Vararam around the filter presses against the bottom of the hood keeping it down. I haven't noticed the Vararam flopping around.

Awesome thanks! And your trans temps have stayed down since you removed that?

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It seems like it. I was a little worried about the Vararam flopping around but I think it's pretty secure. The heat index had been in the 100s the last few days including today and the highest I've seen temps get is 160*, and that's not with light driving. I think with a 3000 stall, that's pretty good. Before the adjustment it was 170-180* and that was when it was only 80* out.

Last edited:

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That piece covers a significant portion of the cooler.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It seems like it. I was a little worried about the Vararam flopping around but I think it's pretty secure. The heat index had been in the 100s the last few days including today and the highest I've seen temps get is 160*, and that's not with light driving. I think without a 3000 stall, that's pretty good. Before the adjustmentI was 170-180* and that was when it was only 80* out.

Thanks man. I'll probably just remove it as well...

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't noticed any difference in performance without it. Sure it may direct air to the filter, but I think the grill opening is large enough that it gets enough air either way.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven't noticed any difference in performance without it. Sure it may direct air to the filter, but I think the grill opening is large enough that it gets enough air either way.

Absolutely, especially at highway speeds

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm curious as to what the proposed advantages of the Vararam are compared to other aftermarket intakes. If anything Vararam looks to me like a relic from the 1970's.