65rfe 4th gen 6 speed auto xsmn .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I've read, it's almost never the solenoid, according to TransEngineer on the other Ram forum. He said it's usually the converter or the pump. If the converter is bad, I will not be happy as it's only been in for 11K.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I got a P-0740 code today. I don't seem to have 5th gear. Shifting seems normal up until then but with the higher stall I can't tell if the transmission is slipping more than usual. From what I've read it's usually either the torque converter or the pump. I'm hoping it's just the pump.. Either way it's going in tomorrow to get looked at.

Let us know how you make out. I've had that same code pop up a couple of times. Followed shortly by a pretty much constant P0868 (low line pressure) code. So I pulled my sonnax line booster and haven't had the 868 again (knock on wood), but still get the 740 code intermittently. Circle D seem to think it's the pump, but I haven't had a chance to drop the tranny yet.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did restore the stock tuning on the way home last night to rule out something in the tune itself, maybe the increased line pressure may have caused it, but I still get it. I'm taking it in a couple hours. We'll see I suppose.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it's either the converter, which I highly doubt, or something in the transmission. Either way I'm probably looking at a rebuild. I can either have them beef it up and keep it another 3 years, or don't waste the the extra, have them build it to stock and save for my next vehicle.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So it's either the converter, which I highly doubt, or something in the transmission. Either way I'm probably looking at a rebuild. I can either have them beef it up and keep it another 3 years, or don't waste the the extra, have them build it to stock and save for my next vehicle.

Well that blows. I thought that's either a solenoid pack and/or valve body, not a complete rebuild? How many miles on the truck?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
92K as of now.

If my truck last 92,000 without any major problems i will be amazed. But im stuck with it. My wife is do for a new truck very soon.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If my truck last 92,000 without any major problems i will be amazed. But im stuck with it. My wife is do for a new truck very soon.

Lol this is the only issue I've had with this truck other then a slight bed squeak when I got it.

Like I said, on another forum, there's a transmission engineer who is very knowledge on these transmission and he states that it's rarely the solenoids with that code.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So maybe it's the converter? Of is it sounding more like the pump?

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly, I don't know either way. I know they have to pull the transmission both ways and at that point, how much more to just have them rebuild it. My concern is that if I just replace the pump, at 92K with some hard driven mileage and knowing the reputation of the 65RFE under a little abuse, how much longer will the transmission last before it needs to be rebuilt anyway. The issue isn't the cost of the rebuild, it's how's much longer do I want to keep it. Is a cheaper fix by only replacing what's necessary and risking another issue soon after worth saving some money now? I was planning on trading in in a couple years.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I hear you, if it's out already what's a few more parts. If you're planning on trading the truck in a couple years I'd just have it rebuilt to stock...

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I finally got the truck back today. I did end up going with a rebuild. They added a couple things like the Smart Tech overdrive clutch housing by sonnax, as well as some shift improvements. I also went with a 2300 stall converter that was custom built by one of their builders. They said there were some clutches that were fried as well as some worn pump parts. Sounds like the usual 65RFE shortcomings.

Last edited:

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Please tell us of your impression of the stall TC.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I finally got the truck back today. I did end up going with a rebuild. They added a couple things like the Smart Tech overdrive clutch housing by sonnax, as well as some shift improvements. I also went with a 2300 stall converter that was custom built by one of their builders. They said there were some clutches that were fried as well as some worn pump parts. Sounds like the usual 65RFE shortcomings.

So which rebuild did go with, the stock one?

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, pretty much a stock rebuild with a few upgrades. The shop is a local transmission shop, got a 3 year/50K warranty and he was ok with the fact that I had a tune and modifications, although they're not extensive. The Smart Tech should help strengthen overdrive. I need to get a log to Jay to see if he needs to make any adjustments.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
For guys dropping tranny or even valve body, consider getting a new shift linkage detent pin. 3 dollar part, but the ones from the factory can pop out, need to drop VB to fix, but if the tranny is already open, hey.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Do you have the Motor City Mechanic video on replacing that $3 part [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ya know the state farm commercials were the they sing that tune and magically the agent appears or som other crazy magic happens?

Let try this....

Like a good buddy, Cory is there! .................

Now we wait.