65rfe performance upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beveballs127

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm thinking about adding a sonnax line booster kit. Sonnax rfe-lb1. Does anyone have any experience with this kit? Are there any other upgrades available for this transmission. It doesn't look like there is much support other than a torque converter. My main concern is holding power since they are basically maxed out on a stock hemi. Any input greatly appreciated.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The two largest noticeable gains are a tuner and a new TQ. Sonnax has had mixed reviews. The people that have them think they do a good job, others think, not so much. I would recommend a new Edge TQ.
Jay

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Sonnax kits don't make any real difference when it comes to performance. I had one, pulled it off as it did nothing to increase performance, faster shifts, or holding power. Your only real bolt-on upgrade is a torque converter unless you go with a built and tuned trans from somebody like L&M Customs or True Street Performance. For torque converters there is Edge or Circle D, both are good converters and can help with launches but talk with them to determine what stall speed you need for your expected type of driving.

OP
OP
B

beveballs127

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just to clarify. The new kits have a harness as well as an uparaded spring. Did you guys actually use both parts or just a wiring harness. I need to change my tranny fluid so now would be the perfect time for this upgrade.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Just to clarify. The new kits have a harness as well as an uparaded spring. Did you guys actually use both parts or just a wiring harness. I need to change my tranny fluid so now would be the perfect time for this upgrade.

The upgraded spring is just a half-assed shift kit and there's a reason you don't hear about people dropping shift kits into these transmissions anymore, they didn't do anything special. The downside of the 545/65rfe is the large clearances they have in the clutch packs and the 2C clutch pack in particular, no amount of tuning or bolt-ons will fix that. There were valve bodies being sold for a while that were so much better than a shift kit was but they seem to have gone the way of the dodo bird as well.

If you're already going in to do a fluid change or install a torque converter then it won't hurt to throw a Sonnax kit in and you might get lucky and feel good about the swap but you won't feel any significant changes.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The reason for the lack of valvebody upgrades is because the VB changed in 2011, and cores are hard to come by for the 2011+ trucks. We tried this with Sharadon for a while and again with SuperStreet, but it was just too tough to get a steady supply of cores. Best bet is to just ship yours in to 1 of those companies to be modified. L&M would probably build a valvebody for you as well if you sent yours in.

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just upgraded the valve body on my 2013 with the Transgo Reprogramming Kit. This kit is made to address a few of the weaknesses with this transmission. I installed the upgraded springs, new seals and cover plate on the valve body. I am very happy with this mod. The trans now shifts much faster.

The kit also includes a stronger spring for the pump to increase and hold higher line pressures. Also, a stronger snap ring (which is what took out my first trans).

** I am looking for someone in the NJ, DE, PA are to install the pump spring and snap ring** Anyone looking for a fun job send me a message.

Transgo does not have the 65rfe listed on this kit but when I called they assured me it would work and it did.

FYI the kit also includes a resister to increase line pressure (like sonnax plug) but do not use with a tuner. There was one other part that comes in the kit that is for the older trans, so I just tossed it out.

Looks like the spring that comes with the sonnax is for the pump, so if you want to install it you will need to pull the trans and crack open the pump. A mod that is a little above my wrenching abilities.

ric3xrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just upgraded the valve body on my 2013 with the Transgo Reprogramming Kit. This kit is made to address a few of the weaknesses with this transmission. I installed the upgraded springs, new seals and cover plate on the valve body. I am very happy with this mod. The trans now shifts much faster.

The kit also includes a stronger spring for the pump to increase and hold higher line pressures. Also, a stronger snap ring (which is what took out my first trans).

** I am looking for someone in the NJ, DE, PA are to install the pump spring and snap ring** Anyone looking for a fun job send me a message.

Transgo does not have the 65rfe listed on this kit but when I called they assured me it would work and it did.

FYI the kit also includes a resister to increase line pressure (like sonnax plug) but do not use with a tuner. There was one other part that comes in the kit that is for the older trans, so I just tossed it out.

Looks like the spring that comes with the sonnax is for the pump, so if you want to install it you will need to pull the trans and crack open the pump. A mod that is a little above my wrenching abilities.

Jerseymike it's been over a year how is your truck ruining with the trans upgrade ?

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The factory trans lasted 1 year. The rebuilt trans with Transgo kit is still going strong after 3 years. The trans was rebuilt by the dealer than I did the Transgo kit later. I think it helps. Would be even better with the stronger snap ring and pump spring but I have chilled with the modding for now.

ric3xrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the update, the trans is a worry of mine don't want to go all out with this 14 if I have to replace the trans every year... but it's looking like if treat properly and some preventative actions I should be able to get it to live for awhile.
I'm over in Bucks County Pa maybe I'll run in to you over in Nj this summer.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Thanks for the update, the trans is a worry of mine don't want to go all out with this 14 if I have to replace the trans every year... but it's looking like if treat properly and some preventative actions I should be able to get it to live for awhile.
I'm over in Bucks County Pa maybe I'll run in to you over in Nj this summer.

Have you thought about doing the Sonnax input drum swap? I know a few people now that have done it but so far it’s still a new item and isn’t proven over time yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ric3xrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Right now I just want to do as little as possible to keep this box going till March/April after that I'm either going to swap a 727 or a 518 in it or buy a 09-14 RCSB 4x2 and swap the 428 in to that w/ a 727 or 904.
I've be meaning to check out your build thread over here.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I wonder if any of the 66RFE components (gears, clutches) would retrofit since they use a similar case. The ratios are pretty similar and the low/reverse clutches, planetary gearsets, and 2C clutch are straight out of the 68RFE (Cummins trans) so they'd have to be pretty robust.

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
I wonder if any of the 66RFE components (gears, clutches) would retrofit since they use a similar case. The ratios are pretty similar and the low/reverse clutches, planetary gearsets, and 2C clutch are straight out of the 68RFE (Cummins trans) so they'd have to be pretty robust.

65 and 66rfe share the same transmission housing. Its a straight plug and play swap but you do need to fool the ECU into thinking it's a 2500 to keep it happy. Thats my understanding of it anyways.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My suggestion: Get a Hemi Fever Tune, and don't beat on your truck non-stop.

BTW, What rear end gears do you have?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci

Close, but not the same, and the PCM won't accept the difference. The 66 is a 545 case with 68 internals but the programming is the difference and where we haven't been able to get the 1500's pcm to behave properly. I know a guy that tried a 2500 PCM to make a 68 work in his 1500 and he had nothing but nightmares trying to get the Ram's PCM to behave with the rest of the wiring harness.The 66 uses an incompatible tailshaft so you'd need a new driveshaft as well.

My suggestion: Get a Hemi Fever Tune, and don't beat on your truck non-stop.

BTW, What rear end gears do you have?

Plenty of HF guys have roasted the 545/65 so that's not a viable option. I blew mine taking off at half throttle from a light after leaving the post office. There's a reason I'm now running a 4L80e behind my truck.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Close, but not the same, and the PCM won't accept the difference. The 66 is a 545 case with 68 internals but the programming is the difference and where we haven't been able to get the 1500's pcm to behave properly. I know a guy that tried a 2500 PCM to make a 68 work in his 1500 and he had nothing but nightmares trying to get the Ram's PCM to behave with the rest of the wiring harness.The 66 uses an incompatible tailshaft so you'd need a new driveshaft as well.

Thanks for the information. What I was wondering specifically is whether or not you could install the gearset and clutches from the 66RFE directly into a 65 case. Therefore keeping the 545/65's electronics and tailshaft along with other components necessary for compatibility. Understand I'm probably oversimplifying this due to lack of knowledge but would seem worthwhile to investigate assuming the components are affordable.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Thanks for the information. What I was wondering specifically is whether or not you could install the gearset and clutches from the 66RFE directly into a 65 case. Therefore keeping the 545/65's electronics and tailshaft along with other components necessary for compatibility. Understand I'm probably oversimplifying this due to lack of knowledge but would seem worthwhile to investigate assuming the components are affordable.

You do know that a 66 is already in a 65 case right? The valvebody has to be specific to the trans or it will start doing very bad things. The only thing that could make a difference in a 65 would be the Sonnax input drum which is based off the 68 drum and clutch sets.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
You do know that a 66 is already in a 65 case right? The valvebody has to be specific to the trans or it will start doing very bad things. The only thing that could make a difference in a 65 would be the Sonnax input drum which is based off the 68 drum and clutch sets.

Got any good links for 4L80e to a 4th gen Ram 1500, I assume 4x4 transfer case is still functional?

Edit: Never mind I found
http://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-4th-gen-ram-gm-transmission-4l80e-swap.112665/

Thanks