6.4 numbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

init6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just read an article on Car and Driver about the upcoming Durango SRT. They stuffed a 6.4L in it and tuned it to 475hp and 470lb-ft torque.

Should be able to apply that tune to my 2500 6.4 ya?

Realistically, any of you know how much the tranny and rear end can handle before it grenades? Many have told me the tranny is the weak spot on a RAM.

Obviously, my 2500 is a tow rig and I plan on maxing it out soon with a boat I'm eyeing where the Durango will be a 1/4 mile rat. I would be seriously interested in the extra oomph.

Last edited:

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From what I've read on here, the SRT 6.4 and Ram 6.4 are pretty much completely different motors.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 6.4 in the trucks are nowhere near the same as the 6.4's in the SRT vehicles so you can't apply the SRT tune to your truck. There are other option available for tuning though.........

As far as the rear end, no worries there. It's the same 11.5 or 11.8 found in the Cummins equipped trucks so the gasser ain't gonna hurt it.

The trans might give you trouble down the line as the 66RFE is a less stout version of the 68RFE. There biggest issue as far as "beefing" them is there isn't a lot of room inside the casing for "beefed" components. Personally I wouldn't worry too much, you'll need to add a bit of power before I'd worry about the trans though.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The blocks are similar, pistons are forged on the truck motor as well as coated valves to deal with heat of towing. You could definitely make the truck 6.4 a stout motor with the right mods. It'd take long tubes, intake and a custom dyno tune at minimum to get really good gains.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don't think it's accurate to say they are completely different motors. There are obviously many differences to help the Ram 6.4 survive in an HD truck application. The heads are essentially the same Apache style design cast from 356 aluminum with revisions for better cooling. Compression is lowered from 11:1 to 10:1. The truck engine uses a much smaller cam, presumably for better torque figures. The exhaust manifolds are the same POS log style manifolds used on the Ram 5.7 motor, and not the SRT pieces. The intake manifold is an active dual runner design, again to help low end torque. My guess is if you swapped in an SRT cam, exhaust manifolds, bumped the compression back up and added a performance tune it would be very close to the 485hp SRT figures.

The Ram 6.4 also uses a stronger block, forged steel crank, forged pistons with full floating pins, sodium filled valves and cross bolted caps. The HD block and 356 aluminum heads were used as a basis for the Hellcat motor.

If you want extra power I would start with the ARH headers and a tune. I talked to Modern Performance about a cam swap, but never pulled the trigger on it. Suspect it would really wake the motor up. Or a blower if Whipple ever releases their 6.4 Ram kit:)

Last edited:

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What performance parts would I need to make my Pete and the misses Mack hit 14.0 in the 1/4??? Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The blocks are similar, pistons are forged on the truck motor as well as coated valves to deal with heat of towing. You could definitely make the truck 6.4 a stout motor with the right mods. It'd take long tubes, intake and a custom dyno tune at minimum to get really good gains.

With ARH long tubes, MF cat-back, and the HF 93 tune my truck made 365hp/382tq in 4th on a miserable summer day. Truck had factory 20's with 34's so 100+ lbs between the tire and rim which obviously didn't help anything. Along with an Edge 2600 stall converter I can pretty much run 6.5 sec 0-60's at will.

http://www.ramforum.com/f158/finally_ram_6_4_dyno_runs-87696/

Even with 4.10's I feel the truck would really benefit from 4.56's if you were running bigger tires or towing substantial loads.

Last edited:

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
With ARH long tubes, MF cat-back, and the HF 93 tune my truck made 365hp/382tq in 4th on a miserable summer day. Truck had factory 20's with 34's so 100+ lbs between the tire and rim which obviously didn't help anything. Along with an Edge 2600 stall converter I can pretty much run 6.5 sec 0-60's at will.

http://www.ramforum.com/f158/finally_ram_6_4_dyno_runs-87696/

Even with 4.10's I feel the truck would really benefit from 4.56's if you were running bigger tires or towing substantial loads.

Thats a solid result with those numbers. You've came close to gaining back majority of the parasitic loss of the drivetrain. A cam swap could get those numbers over the 400 mark to the wheels but imagining my truck with roughy 60 more hp and 60-70 more tq I would think be more than adequate for a 7k truck ahahaha