6.4l Hemi in a Chassis Cab mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Campertruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Recently I bought a 2016 Ram 3500 SRW Chassis Cab with the 6.4l Hemi and the Aisin transmission. the truck has 4:44 gears and it is 4WD . During my research on the truck, I was looking for mileage reviews on the 6.4l Hemi in a chassis cab and didn't see any so I decided to throw my data out there for anyone interested in this combination.
Truck bought new in OH with 20 miles, drove it back to MA at speeds of 60-70mph trying various styles to break in the motor as kindly as possible. Arrived home and filled it 13.7mpg hand calculated. The truck has a 52 gallon fuel tank so while I did add 10 gallons on the road for insurance, it would have made the trip on one tank.
Second tank had to drive the truck to PA to have an aluminum flatbed installed, mileage going down driving at 70mph almost the entire trip was 14.7 mpg hand calculated. Driving back with the new flatbed installed it was the night before Thanksgiving and I hoofed it home at 80mph as long as traffic would allow: 13.3 mpg. Next tank hooked 20 foot aluminum car hauler and towed a 4 door Ford F250 with gas motor to NH. I put it in tow haul and drove 60 mph faithfully, it downshifted once on the entire ride going there and no time on the way back. Mileage 11.4 mpg .
A few notes: I read that a lot of people are buying trucks with the 3:73 gears and the 66RFE transmission and they feel towing is not the best with the 6.4l . I believe they would do much better having the 4:10 gears at minimum but the secret sauce is the Aisin and the 4:44 . When the truck is in T/H mode towing, it is in 5th gear and at 60 mph the tach was at 2100 rpm and it made it up whatever hills there were without any need to downshift. When it is not towing, at 70 mph the tach is at 2000 rpm and it feels as happy as it can get. According to the Evic, the truck gets its best mileage at 50mph where it is always displaying high teens to near 20mpg. I have never run a full tank at this speed yet so I can't verify the reading. So far the Evic on this truck is within 1/2 mpg of hand calculated.
I am very happy with the truck, i have owned many Cummins since 1995 and I still own a 2006 with the 5.9 Cummins. I found the ones that had the higher ratio gears were not as pleasant to drive around town and needed to be run on the highway more. The ones with the 4:10 gears seemed to just be happy.
I hope this helps anyone looking into a chassis cab setup, I took off the bed from my previous truck and loved the extra utility of the flatbed and I thought why not just by a chassis cab right from the start. I love the Aisin, it shifts at the right time and it's not always trying to get into the next higher gear. In T/H mode it is as close to driving a standard as you could expect. The up fitter options of the ambulance package and the Vism make the truck super easy to add any accessories and mine has the PTO prep package of which I am dreaming of what to do with...
There you have it, I hope this helps.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
nice info. in my last 3 rams the mpg meter was always .5 gallons optimistic. good to hear you are happy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf