6 speed trans hard shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

california

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So replaces my broken trans with one i got in a yard 6 speed

Does shift could drive around in freeway and city without a problem

I do notice hard shift not smooth when it shifts.i could feel the hard shift inside the cab does it have anything to do with that new cam that was installed or maybe tranny itself is junk!!!!!!

1st 2nd and 3rd shift hard mainly 2nd and 3rd

Anything you guys could throw in will be good info!!!!!

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
6 speeds have an adaptive learning programming that takes a few thousand miles to smooth out the shifts. If you did not remove the battery cables and zero the PCM/ECM adaptive programing, it may still think you have the old transmission in it and has not adjusted to the new one.

I would remove both battery cables and touch them together for about 30 seconds to draw down any capacitive held memory and then wait a few minutes and reinstall. This will reset the adaptive learning and it will take approx. 5K miles or so for it to settle in.

If that does nothing then you got a pig in a poke transmission.

OP
OP
california

california

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
6 speeds have an adaptive learning programming that takes a few thousand miles to smooth out the shifts. If you did not remove the battery cables and zero the PCM/ECM adaptive programing, it may still think you have the old transmission in it and has not adjusted to the new one.

I would remove both battery cables and touch them together for about 30 seconds to draw down any capacitive held memory and then wait a few minutes and reinstall. This will reset the adaptive learning and it will take approx. 5K miles or so for it to settle in.

If that does nothing then you got a pig in a poke transmission.

Ill try that later on today see whats happens ill keep this updated

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get a transmission quicklearn done asap, most transmission shops and the dealer can do it. I got charged $30 for mine from a local trans shop.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Get a transmission quicklearn done asap, most transmission shops and the dealer can do it. I got charged $30 for mine from a local trans shop.

I agree, pulling battery cable will not clear your adaptives.

OP
OP
california

california

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I took it to a shop they said they could not get the scanner or whatever they use to communicate with the computer does it have to do with my truck having the diablo trinity tuner with custom tune installed?????

I hate dealing with dealers take forever and they always want to blame you for a problemss and u need an appointment!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
california

california

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Did it help with shifting cus imma about to pull my the trans out to replace it with a different one i have 90 day warranty

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There may be nothing wrong with your trans. If your PCM is basing shifts on stored clutch volumes from your old trans. The pcm will relearn but it may take along time if your new trans clutch volumes are significantly different than your old trans.

What the PCM is doing is learning how much fluid it takes to apply the clutches, as your clutch packs wear the amount of fluid it takes to fill it and apply the clutches change, this is normally a gradual process.

By replacing a worn out trans with a fresh trans it will cause very harsh shifts. A scan tool quick learn will get the clutch volumes close enough that it should shift pretty good, the PCM will continue to fine tune the shifts.

I have no idea about your question on your tuner, or if is causing the scan tool communication issue. I would just hate to see you replace the trans again if there is nothing wrong with it. Also replacing it again may not fix your problem

OP
OP
california

california

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There may be nothing wrong with your trans. If your PCM is basing shifts on stored clutch volumes from your old trans. The pcm will relearn but it may take along time if your new trans clutch volumes are significantly different than your old trans.

What the PCM is doing is learning how much fluid it takes to apply the clutches, as your clutch packs wear the amount of fluid it takes to fill it and apply the clutches change, this is normally a gradual process.

By replacing a worn out trans with a fresh trans it will cause very harsh shifts. A scan tool quick learn will get the clutch volumes close enough that it should shift pretty good, the PCM will continue to fine tune the shifts.

I have no idea about your question on your tuner, or if is causing the scan tool communication issue. I would just hate to see you replace the trans again if there is nothing wrong with it. Also replacing it again may not fix your problem

I called several shops some could do the relearn but they tell me the relearn is done when trans is rebuilt and when is swapped out from a different truck like mine i have to reflash "reprogram" the pcm.

So do i only need relearning or computer reflashed??

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
They should be able to do the quicklearn without flashing your pcm.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
You have to do a quick learn any time you replace the transmission or valve body. I would do that ASAP and try not to drive it until that happens. Not doing the quick learn can ruin your new transmission as well.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ye, you need to do the quick learn asap, some shops may call it something different like reset cvi or clutch volume index, same thing. Call around and ask if they've got en up to date Snap-on Solus scanner.

Continuing driving without the quicklearn will cause added wear to already used clutches. Like Yoda said, there may be nothing wrong with the trans, maybe.