6spd to 8spd Upgrade possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
nickpohlaandp

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So if I'm at a dead stop and put ERS in 4, when I stomp the gas it will shift 1-2-3-4 and not go beyond 4 (1:1)?

Hemi450, how do you shift when you go to the track?

Last edited:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
My understanding of it on the 65 is it has to have a gear selected to be in ERS, so even if you have it showing 6, it will shift through all 6 gears in order. If it stays in D then you skip the 2p (3rd) gear. The gear it shows in ERS is the maximum gear it will shift into unless it's 1st where it will automatically shift to 2nd no matter what you try and do or what mode you're in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I put the shifter in 3rd gear at the line. Doing this allows it to shift from 1-2, 2-2P, and then I manually shift it from 2P-3. When shifting manually, the gear selector in the dash will say "3", but you are really in 2P.

If you leave it in drive, it will go 1-2-4. It only upshifts into 2P at WOT when shifting manually.

OP
OP
nickpohlaandp

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's interesting. So I'm going to try this. Is it pretty noticeable using 2 and 2p? Have you tried it on the strip with it in "D" and skipping 2p? I'm curious to know what you noticed as far as differences on your timeslip et and mph.

I've been Googling like crazy and found out a lot more stuff about this trans. From what I can surmise is it's the same thing as the 545 but the electronics are set up a bit different. In "D" it uses 2 for upshifts when going through the gears but it catches 2p (3) instead of 2 for downshifts. The two ratios are pretty close together also. 2 is 1.67 and 2p is 1.50.

picture.php

Last edited:

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
That's interesting. So I'm going to try this. Is it pretty noticeable using 2 and 2p? Have you tried it on the strip with it in "D" and skipping 2p? I'm curious to know what you noticed as far as differences on your timeslip et and mph.

I've been Googling like crazy and found out a lot more stuff about this trans. From what I can surmise is it's the same thing as the 545 but the electronics are set up a bit different. In "D" it uses 2 for upshifts when going through the gears but it catches 2p (3) instead of 2 for downshifts. The two ratios are pretty close together also. 2 is 1.67 and 2p is 1.50.

picture.php

They are the same trans, just the tuning is set up different.
And if you want to go back farther 5/6 speed are derived from the 45rfe.

The 2nd prime makes **** so confusing when shifting in manual mode, I don't even know why they came up with the stupid 2p. lol

OP
OP
nickpohlaandp

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well that was interesting. I did what Hemi450hp said and the 2-2p shift was not too noticeable other than a slight drop in RPM. The truck didn't even shift into 1:1 until just over 105 mph. That was fun, but I definitely need 4.10's.

As an aside, I didn't realize that it will automatically shift to second even if you have it in 1. Apparently it won't let you overrev the drivetrain in first.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
As an aside, I didn't realize that it will automatically shift to second even if you have it in 1. Apparently it won't let you overrev the drivetrain in first.

The gear it shows in ERS is the maximum gear it will shift into unless it's 1st where it will automatically shift to 2nd no matter what you try and do or what mode you're in.