89 octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone running 89 octane ethanol free gas and what's you're results?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I run 89, from a Top Tier supplier. It's 10% ethanol, only their 'Premium' grade is Ethanol-free. I only buy Top Tier gas for all my vehicles, it's the same price as other station's non-Top Tier fuel so theres no incentive to go cheap. Anyway, it runs great, 150k mi. I can't say it runs any better as the 87 as I've only been running highway miles lately on flat ground. I'd probably notice it more if I were pulling a trailer or something with a load.

OP
OP
Ramnewbie

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Around here some independent BP stations have 89 octane ethanol free. Shell also sells an ethanol free but I've never checked it out to see what octane it is. Ive always ran premium but been thinking about trying the ethanol free.

I also only run top tier.

kada

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Around here some independent BP stations have 89 octane ethanol free. Shell also sells an ethanol free but I've never checked it out to see what octane it is. Ive always ran premium but been thinking about trying the ethanol free.

I also only run top tier.
I've run both and can't tell any difference in milage or power, running bully dog 03 Dodge ram 1500 4x4 slt QC SB 123000 miles I ran the performance mode and no real difference in 0 to 100 k when comparing the saved times with the 2 different fuels but prefer no ethenal as it collects moisture and I am in South Carolina and humidity is unreal here.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
My ol'girl runs better on 89 than 94, it has hesitation when using higher oct fuel. Weird.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t think there would be to big of a difference personally. I tried before in other vehicles and had no mpg difference and no performance increase. These trucks are tuned for 87-89 with 10% ethanol from the factory so anything more or less can cause a knock. I had a 2009 vw jetta and the manual said can be run on all pump gas. I tried everything between 87-91 including the 90 non Octane that was available. Anything above 89 I had no mpg increase or performance. Below the 89 my mpg dropped a little. I currently am on a tank of 91 w/ 10% ethanol in my truck and I’m not seeing more mpg or performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
O that was in the vw you had that you ran the 90 non octane in right?

Yea the vw. It made no difference between the 89, 91, and 90 non octane. All ran the same in that car. Same mpg all calculated by hand. I am running 91 10% in my truck right now and my mpg is the same as 89 10% according to the evic. The truck runs a lot better on 89 than it did on 87. Feels like it holds gears better on the 89 and acceleration feels a little better and more responsive in my truck

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
You wouldn't happen to know the makeup of the 90 non octane would ya? I'm curious, what brand had the non octane?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You wouldn't happen to know the makeup of the 90 non octane would ya? I'm curious, what brand had the non octane?

Around me the only place 90 non octane was available was a marathon gas station. It’s hard to find non octane unless you go to marina gas stations or to areas with a lot of construction companies that use non octane for their heavy equipment

Trooper2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I started running 87 after 7000mi of running 89. Currently on my 5th tank. I think it may idle better on 89. As far as performance I'm not sure I notice a difference. I would like to mention my mpg i think have dropped by about 1mpg. Now I know higher octane dies not have anymore heat energy then say 87, but find it intresting that my mpg dropped that much. Its not fake news either. Any of you super smart people have anything to add to enlighten us?

Salsa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

It's pretty hard to find NON ETHANOL in our locale. :naughty: The one station I found is high priced and I primarily use it in my motorcycles. 91 octane is as high as we go around here. We also have oxygenated fuel up high. We have to travel out of Montana to Idaho for higher Octane Pump Fuel.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I started running 87 after 7000mi of running 89. Currently on my 5th tank. I think it may idle better on 89. As far as performance I'm not sure I notice a difference. I would like to mention my mpg i think have dropped by about 1mpg. Now I know higher octane dies not have anymore heat energy then say 87, but find it intresting that my mpg dropped that much. Its not fake news either. Any of you super smart people have anything to add to enlighten us?

Timing is different. Higher octane tends to burn better and cleaner so the timing can be adjusted which effects how much power the truck has. Truck runs more efficiently takes less fuel to do the same job

OP
OP
Ramnewbie

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Around here in central NC some of the independent BP stations sell non ethanol as there mid grade 89 octane. Price is in-between reg and premium unless you use you're BP credit card with fuel rewards. Rewards are not used to discount their non ethanol gas, I don't know what that's about. Shell also has non ethanol here, it's usually a pump all by itself over in the corner somewhere, I don't know what the octane is.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I was wondering how far I could get with the "non octane" part lol. I know he meant ethanol, well I hope he did.

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was wondering how far I could get with the "non octane" part lol. I know he meant ethanol, well I hope he did.

Wow didn’t even catch that. Yea that’s bad. I meant non ethanol. :D

OP
OP
Ramnewbie

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I seen it, just figured you're fingers were talking faster than what you were thinking.