89 octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
In South Dakota, many years ago, they started ethanol out in just the mid-octane (89) fuel. All 89 octane was 10% ethanol, and you could still get 87 and 91 ethanol-free. Now almost all pumps and octanes are 10% ethanol, with a few having ethanol-free 91, and even fewer (but still some) having an 87 ethanol-free option.

I fuel up at Costco, which is top tier, but all ethanol here. I typically use 91, because I have the truck programmed (Hemifever) for 89. When I travel to the other side of the state to visit my folks, the stations out there usually only have 87 or 89, and none of the 89 is ethanol free. I fill up on 87 ethanol free, and the truck likes it better than any of the ethanol fuels. I always get better gas mileage.

I am glad we still have a law that states if the fuel contains ethanol, the pump must state so. Just over the border in Minnesota, I believe its state law that all regular automotive fuel must contain ethanol, and they don't have to state it at the pumps if they don't want to. (Someone who lives in Minnesota may correct me if I am mistaken. I go by what relatives over there tell me.)

Last edited:

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4wd RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here in MN only a handful of gas stations even sell E0(Non-Oxy) fuels. If you find a gas station that sells it, it will most likely be 91 E0. Back when I had my 14 Malibu 2.0 turbo it called for 91, so I would bring up this web site Here that shows all gas stations the carry E0(Non-Oxy).

Last edited:

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I started running 87 after 7000mi of running 89. Currently on my 5th tank. I think it may idle better on 89. As far as performance I'm not sure I notice a difference. I would like to mention my mpg i think have dropped by about 1mpg. Now I know higher octane dies not have anymore heat energy then say 87, but find it intresting that my mpg dropped that much. Its not fake news either. Any of you super smart people have anything to add to enlighten us?

simply google "what are octane ratings" or "is higher octane better" and you will learn everything you need to know. Its pretty simple stuff.

Most of the **** people tell you about how its makes a motor run better, cleaner,, powerful and so on.......have no idea what they are talking about.