8 Speed 8PH70 Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheRudeDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone know how many lbs of torque it takes to tighten the oil pan? Thanks!

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
While we wait for the video to be posted, a question. Does the exhaust cross over route directly beneath the transmission pan, with maybe 1.5" of clearance, with the drain plug directly over the cross over pipe, as it does on the 2016's and on my 2017?
Looking at this makes it appear that the exhaust would need to be dropped to drop the plastic oil pan.

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
^^^^ The engineer who gave the OK to do this needs to have his ass totally beat.

I myself will have this exhaust rerouted about 12-15 inches further back before I even attempt my first service on this transmission.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 74

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's not like there's not enough room to route it behind the trans either...

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
While we wait for the video to be posted, a question. Does the exhaust cross over route directly beneath the transmission pan, with maybe 1.5" of clearance, with the drain plug directly over the cross over pipe, as it does on the 2016's and on my 2017?
Looking at this makes it appear that the exhaust would need to be dropped to drop the plastic oil pan.

Yeah, been that way since the 09s..

I have no idea why you want to route hot exhaust underneath tranny pan which you want to stay as cool as possible.

johntra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
guys I have let's call it issue (maybe it's just my imagination)
2014 Ram 1500 3.92 lsd, 70000km 8hp70
My truck fells kind of odd - (slipping, rev drop I dunno how to explain it properly) when going from 2nd to 3rd- only from 2nd to 3rd..
BUT this happens only when I give minimum of throttle.
If I step on it shifting is normal...

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
VIDEO IS UP!

Finally got around to changing the fluid in my ZF 8HP70

This is FAR more simple to do than my 09 Hemi with the conventional 5 speed. Less mess, didn't have to make gaskets and screw around with RTV and was much quicker! Also the exhaust was not in the way of me removing the pan so that was a relief!

I would definitely recommend changing the fluid at least around 90k miles as my fluid was a bit dirty but nothing too alarming. Seemed like the perfect time to be changing the fluid given the light duty my truck has seen.

Any questions feel free to ask!

https://youtu.be/mNo9Ln5KrOE
ram%208psd.png

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That doesn't look bad at all. I always thought it was more complicated than that to fill

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Don't know if it was covered, but Redline does make an ester oil for this application. I got this email this morning from Redline. Of course you could shell out 22 bones or whatever OEM manufacturer feels like charging you, but there is options.

Burla,

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, in the ZF 8 speed automatic transmission the D6ATF would be recommended.

Regards,

Dave Granquist

Hold the phone, looking at visc at 100 it is 6.4. Does anyone know the visc at 100 of the OEM fluid? Looks thinner then 6.4 to my eye? So you see Redline's response, but i'm not sold yet. I would research a little more if you want to run redline. That oil appears thinner cold then redline at 100c. Redline doesn't have the oil spec'd right at all, is why I had no clue. They don't mention Ram, Chrysler or the transmission in the spec, but they mentioned some related vehicles. More research necessary imo.

ok got it.

This is what redline specs D6atf for ZF-LG 6, 6+ and 8 fluids, usually they have more info like make or model, but this should give you comfort to use the stuff. So that is a ZF transmission with an 8 speed, they aren't addressing the various model numbers within the range for that transmsion, I assume it is the spec for all ZF transmissions that are 6 or 8 speeds.

Redlines boldest claim ever, this fluid is their most shear stable product. No surprise though, it is already close to water so it would be tough to shear off any viscosity.

Last edited:

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Any updates...anyone running Redline in their 8 speed? Anyone try out the aliumium pan? At 50000 I plan on changing out my fluid and pan.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I would not run Redline on the 8 speed. This transmission requires a proprietary fluid

http://www.ramforum.com/threads/zf-8hp70-ppe.100763/

I love your setup...that’s still the tranny pan I want...just didn’t know if anything new hit market. I have 30500 miles on my ride so still have some time. I will probably have the exhaust reworked like you did behind the pan...makes the most sense!