Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance

8 Speed 8PH70 Question

This is a discussion on 8 Speed 8PH70 Question within the Engine & Performance forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
I (Myself) actually did my own leg work months ago and took the effort to contact ZF themselves. The tech ...

Like Tree51Likes

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #71 (permalink)

SyN

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 5.7L
I (Myself) actually did my own leg work months ago and took the effort to contact ZF themselves. The tech I talked to instructed me of the Service They recommended for this transmission. I will say this (The Lifetime) fluid idea was Rams not ZF. As well as the coolant / ATF heat exchanger.

As of late & few ideas that popped up with the conversation with the ZF tech. I added a Spin-On filter kit to my 8HP70. Along with a Very Strong Ceramic C8 grade Neodymium magnet inside the spin-on filter. As well as 4 on the outside of the filter.

Cleaner fluid at every pass will prolong the life of the expensive fluid which will help extend service intervals. Which is a win/win especially when the plastic composite pan cost over $200. Hopefully the price will drop over time.

Like I have said oh maybe 17 times or so I don't know I quit counting. I am doing basic preventive maintenance for those miles after my warranty is done/expired/out/over.
Preparation for that time when my Ram reaches 100,001 miles or that quickly approaching 5 years has past!
Since I have plans on keeping my Ram well beyond that. I will do maintenance now to prepare for Those Miles. Ram only cares about getting you through that 5 Year/100K period. For me that 5 years is Fast approaching. I don't even have 20k miles on my Ram yet!

Don't you all fret over my maintenance on my 8HP70. We will be just fine.

One thing to remember:
Just because someone else thought of it and is doing it (with outstanding results)
Even though YOU didn't think of it (OR) are not doing it--->Does not mean it's wrong!

There is a very good chance when my 5 years comes and goes my Ram will barely have 40k miles on her. There for that puts a lot of future miles going foreword with Zero warranty. Yup I'm doing the right thing!

My future plans as of today are:
At the 25K mile mark replace the spin-on ATF filter / fill filter w/Red Line D6).
At the 50,000 mile mark drain the pan and refill with Red Line D6 and change out the spin-on ATF filter.
At the 100,000 mile mark drop the pan and replace. And refill with Red Line D6 / replace the spin-on ATF filter / fill filter with Red Line D6.
Each new spin-on ATF filter will get a New Ceramic C8 magnet inside.
Attached Thumbnails
img_0646.jpg  
Hemi395 and savage_46 like this.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

2014 Bighorn SLT 1500 QC 4WD 5.7L BW44-44 8HP70 3:92s w/Anti-Slip!
Oil: 6Qts (GTL) PUP 5W-30 / 1Qt (GTL) SRT 0W-40 & 4oz ZDDP Plus w/RP Filter!
Front -8HP70/T Case- Rear: RL 75W-90 - Red Line D6 ATF - RL 75W-140/90 Mix!
Coolant: Peak Global Lifetime w/RMI-25 Air: AEM Drop In {Dry-Flow}! No CAI!
Fuel: (Shell) 89 w/6oz TCW3 or 24oz Soy Ultra / Neutra! Mileage: 24,429

Last edited by SyN; 11-14-2016 at 08:17 AM.
SyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:31 AM   #72 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine: Hemi 5.7l
I agree...can you post a link of the products used here. I am keeping my ram as well and have just done a coolant flush 3 years 21000 miles when I changed thermo to 180. When I upgraded to LSD I also changed the rear end diff fluids. I would also like to protect tranny. A filter and magnets are just added protection!
SyN likes this.

Big Horn, Hemi 8-speed, Hemifever 93 Custom, American Racing Headers Ceramic, S&B CAI, Moes Ported 87mm Throttle Body, ATI Super Dampner Pulley, E-Fan Mod,180 T-Stat, QTP E-cutout, Magna-flow Catback, 275/65/r20 Nit EXO Grapplers, Bilsteins 2.1 front and Bils back, Super Spring variable rate heavier real coils, Hellwig, Zone UCA's and 1.5" Zone Body lift, Helix Pro DSP, Hybrid Audio L1pro and legatia speakers, net audio 12" sub and 2 JL XD Amps 1000/5 & 400/4.
Hipps2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:45 PM   #73 (permalink)

Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Any news on this subject?

My 2014 Ram with HEMI & 8HP70 has about 93k miles on it.

Still shifts great but am wondering if I should be trying to:
A - Leave it alone
B - Drain fluid & Fill with new fluid from mopar
C - Drain fluid, replace pan with filter, fill with new fluid from mopar
OMALLEY_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #74 (permalink)

SyN

O'Malley: Only you can answer these questions!
Most would be scared and just Say: Leave it alone.

My Question to U is: How many more years do U plan on being the owner of this same Ram?

If 1 or 2 more years? I would honestly say just save your money & drive it! They say it is full for life fluid, I will pretend to be brainwashed and ignore all service that probably should have been done already.

If you say: For many more years to come with many more miles accumulating very rapidly!
I would honestly say with a straight & serious face you might want to shake that $$$ Tree today!
We need to spend a very large amount of it on a Pan/Filter & Expensive Fluid!

Most 8HP70 owners would honestly ignore my thoughts/opinions! Which is perfectly fine! I will still be driving this very same Ram in 5-10 years. Also you half to understand where this is all coming from.
I am not one of those gullible/na´ve owners who believe just by installing a CAI: I can gain 10 to 20 more horsepower at the rear wheels.

Here are my next 2 projects scheduled for my 8HP70 @ the 50K mile mark.
I will have the drivers side exhaust moved from below the pan & rerouted.
Then install the New Pan & Filter & Refill with RL D6 & replace my spin-on transmission filter again. (My first filter change will be at 25K miles!)

New Pan:
http://www.pacificp.com/store/index....roducts_id=695
Attached Thumbnails
img_0755.jpg  
moregrip likes this.

Last edited by SyN; 01-10-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:46 PM   #75 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: hemi 5.7
I don't get changing that fluid that early. It's lifetime fill no service is required. I have the max care lifetime warranty. All I have to do is go by Chrysler service manual. Antifreeze is 100k transfer case is 120k. Inspect differential for leaking.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:13 PM   #76 (permalink)

SyN

Originally Posted by clh1220 View Post
I don't get changing that fluid that early. It's lifetime fill no service is required. I have the max care lifetime warranty. All I have to do is go by Chrysler service manual. Antifreeze is 100k transfer case is 120k. Inspect differential for leaking.

If you don't get it! You have nothing to worry about then!

The service manual is only a guideline it is not the Bible.

I am basically doing in a roundabout way, only 10,000 miles less exactly then what the ZF tech told me to do.
By the way ZF is the creator/designer/builder of this transmission not Chrysler/Ram.

Also after seeing all the fine metal shavings within Shawns 8HP70 plastic pan only after 40K miles. I know I'm doing the proper service @ 50K miles. As well as a Huge added benefit by adding the Spin-On filter kit. (By the way as of today there has been not 1 issue! No Leaks/No Drips/Temp/PSI issues!) Sorry to disappoint those who were hoping.

I basically call it Preventive Maintenance! Most today don't & will never get it or understand it! No worry to me! I can only control so much.
I also enjoy it & feel good doing it. Most don't even like getting their hands dirty.
R.L.K. likes this.

Last edited by SyN; 01-10-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:16 PM   #77 (permalink)

Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Originally Posted by SyN View Post
O'Malley: Only you can answer these questions!
Most would be scared and just Say: Leave it alone.

My Question to U is: How many more years do U plan on being the owner of this same Ram?

If 1 or 2 more years? I would honestly say just save your money & drive it! They say it is full for life fluid, I will pretend to be brainwashed and ignore all service that probably should have been done already.

If you say: For many more years to come with many more miles accumulating very rapidly!
I would honestly say with a straight & serious face you might want to shake that $$$ Tree today!
We need to spend a very large amount of it on a Pan/Filter & Expensive Fluid!

Most 8HP70 owners would honestly ignore my thoughts/opinions! Which is perfectly fine! I will still be driving this very same Ram in 5-10 years. Also you half to understand where this is all coming from.
I am not one of those gullible/na´ve owners who believe just by installing a CAI: I can gain 10 to 20 more horsepower at the rear wheels.

Here are my next 2 projects scheduled for my 8HP70 @ the 50K mile mark.
I will have the drivers side exhaust moved from below the pan & rerouted.
Then install the New Pan & Filter & Refill with RL D6 & replace my spin-on transmission filter again. (My first filter change will be at 25K miles!)

New Pan:
Heavy-Duty Aluminum Transmission Pan - Ram 1500 (ZF 8HP70) [228053000] - $329.99 : Pacific Performance Engineering, Innovations in Diesel Performance
Hey thanks for the link to that pan. These guys are actually only about 15min from me. I changed the fluid myself on my 09 hemi but that was pretty straightforward with just dropping the pan, swapping two filters and reinstalling.

I've actually serviced VW/Audi transmissions with this same setup with a mechatronics unit. No dipstick and using a scantool to monitor trans temp. A bit more of a process but still doable so not worried about tackling it.

The biggest thing with these newer transmisions are the mechatronics units. If it is anything like the VW/AUDI versions this unit has numerous solenoids and is the valve body that is sold as an entire unit (usually $2500+) They wont sell you just one solenoid if it goes bad. Ze Cherman Engineering
SyN likes this.
OMALLEY_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:29 PM   #78 (permalink)

SyN

^^ anything you can add within this thread about this transmission you are more than welcome.

Even a step-by-step service of this transmission would be kind of cool to get a few ideas and thoughts on how to within these walls.

You are more than welcome to share yours this is what I created this thread for.

I have kind of a small spiral notebook of step-by-step instructions on how I'm going to service my transmission. Most of my info come from Shawn's video which he proved he was doing it properly because he had over 200,000 miles on he is with no issues ever.

Last edited by SyN; 01-10-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:01 AM   #79 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: hemi 5.7
Originally Posted by SyN View Post
If you don't get it! You have nothing to worry about then!

The service manual is only a guideline it is not the Bible.

I am basically doing in a roundabout way, only 10,000 miles less exactly then what the ZF tech told me to do.
By the way ZF is the creator/designer/builder of this transmission not Chrysler/Ram.

Also after seeing all the fine metal shavings within Shawns 8HP70 plastic pan only after 40K miles. I know I'm doing the proper service @ 50K miles. As well as a Huge added benefit by adding the Spin-On filter kit. (By the way as of today there has been not 1 issue! No Leaks/No Drips/Temp/PSI issues!) Sorry to disappoint those who were hoping.

I basically call it Preventive Maintenance! Most today don't & will never get it or understand it! No worry to me! I can only control so much.
I also enjoy it & feel good doing it. Most don't even like getting their hands dirty.
The service manual is not just a guide line. You can do more that's up to you. I do all the work on my vehicles except for warranty work. With the lifetime warranty it is a waist of time and money messing with the 8 speed.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:03 AM   #80 (permalink)

SyN

Originally Posted by clh1220 View Post
The service manual is not just a guide line. You can do more that's up to you. I do all the work on my vehicles except for warranty work. With the lifetime warranty it is a waist of time and money messing with the 8 speed.
I can tell as always you are one that thinks he is always right!
That's ok! (Golf Clap!!)

One thing to attempt to think about!~~~>Talking about a total waste of money 10x the cost of My Preventive Maintenance Plan! Millions of Millions of Fine Folks every minute of every day waist $$$$$$$$$$$$$ on Smoking/Abusing Drugs/Dipping/Vaping I can go on & on! All spending so much more $$ then I.
I am so thankful my (Waisting Money LoL!) has a huge benefit compared to those other Millions!

I am so thankful my Waisting is only a 16th of theirs!
Not to even mention the owners who spend literally Thousands of $$$$$$$$ on Huge Fancy Wheels/Tires/Lifts/Lowering Kits/LED lights/HID Kits/Engine Mods to gain 20-40 extra RWHP/CAI/Sound Systems for inside their Rams! On & On & On!

My Waisting (LoL!) $-->(Total so far as of today $86.37) on my 8HP70 can't even scratch the surface of what these owners spend! Yup I am (Indeed) the Waistful One!

I do want to apologize now for Waisting more $$$$$$ in my near future for installing a Level Kit & installing NEW 20x10 Chrome wheels & very expensive set of 305/55R20 A/T tires!

Last edited by SyN; 01-11-2017 at 12:04 PM.