Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance

8 Speed 8PH70 Question

This is a discussion on 8 Speed 8PH70 Question within the Engine & Performance forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
Didn't say it was a waist of time or money for you. It is for me and anybody with a ...

Like Tree51Likes

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #81 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: hemi 5.7
Didn't say it was a waist of time or money for you. It is for me and anybody with a lifetime warranty. Just a difference of opinion. I didn't say you were wrong or I was right. If you want to come back with another pissed off post. Have fun with that,but you took it all wrong.
SyN likes this.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:37 PM   #82 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 5.7L Hemi
Originally Posted by clh1220 View Post
Didn't say it was a waist of time or money for you. It is for me and anybody with a lifetime warranty. Just a difference of opinion. I didn't say you were wrong or I was right. If you want to come back with another pissed off post. Have fun with that,but you took it all wrong.
I get exactly what you are saying...That's the reason I purchased the Lifetime Maxcare warranty to begin with. As long as I follow the recommended maintenance schedule, I'm covered. That schedule doesn't suggest I change transmission fluid, so I have nothing to worry about.....Ever. If you don't have that warranty, I can see why you would want to take your preventative measures.
JustB_rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:52 PM   #83 (permalink)

Name: steve

Originally Posted by SyN View Post
O'Malley: Only you can answer these questions!
Most would be scared and just Say: Leave it alone.

My Question to U is: How many more years do U plan on being the owner of this same Ram?

If 1 or 2 more years? I would honestly say just save your money & drive it! They say it is full for life fluid, I will pretend to be brainwashed and ignore all service that probably should have been done already.

If you say: For many more years to come with many more miles accumulating very rapidly!
I would honestly say with a straight & serious face you might want to shake that $$$ Tree today!
We need to spend a very large amount of it on a Pan/Filter & Expensive Fluid!

Most 8HP70 owners would honestly ignore my thoughts/opinions! Which is perfectly fine! I will still be driving this very same Ram in 5-10 years. Also you half to understand where this is all coming from.
I am not one of those gullible/na´ve owners who believe just by installing a CAI: I can gain 10 to 20 more horsepower at the rear wheels.

Here are my next 2 projects scheduled for my 8HP70 @ the 50K mile mark.
I will have the drivers side exhaust moved from below the pan & rerouted.
Then install the New Pan & Filter & Refill with RL D6 & replace my spin-on transmission filter again. (My first filter change will be at 25K miles!)

New Pan:
Heavy-Duty Aluminum Transmission Pan - Ram 1500 (ZF 8HP70) [228053000] - $329.99 : Pacific Performance Engineering, Innovations in Diesel Performance
i get what you are doing. here is my 2 cents. there is no right or wrong. i like that aluminum pan btw. pm will never hurt as long as it is done correctly. that being said, far as i know, there isnt any pm to be done to internal sensors. that, imo, is where most issues will happen. my other thought is, how does FCA define "lifetime" when it come to the trans.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:53 PM   #84 (permalink)

Engine: Hemi 5.7
hey SyN, I just wanted to say thanks for doing all this research, I sincerely appreciate it! I never bought into the "transmission fluid is good for life" statement either. I'm sitting right at 47k on my 2014.
I plan on attempting the service soon! In the 50k-60k range as my RAM truck has been a highway queen for most of those miles and has lived a pampered synthetic oil life!

With that said, any feedback on the quality/effectiveness of the replaceable filter PPE uses?

2014 Charcoal RAM 1500 RCSB 5.7 8SPD 2WD
2016 White Suburban 1500 5.3 6SPD 2WD
A bunch of 73 Chevy C10 truck parts!

Last edited by moregrip; 01-11-2017 at 02:01 PM.
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #85 (permalink)
SyN

Ram Year: 2014 QC 4WD
Engine: 5.7L
Originally Posted by clh1220 View Post
No No No! I'm very far away from pissed off! That's for the younger generation. Just the opposite for myself.

I don't have the lifetime warranty nor would I want to have to fight my local dealer for any of that warranty work to be done. I will leave that drama for the females on Facebook!

I do once again apologize! As well as for misreading your post!

I will say also: Todd the ZF tech I chatted with for over 35 min enlightened me with information I already knew---->There is no Lifetime fluid.
This Transmission should be serviced around the 60k mile mark. (That is ZF recommendation!) Not Required but Recommended! You decide whether or not You know more about this transmission then those that built it! (Built it not Sold it).
This so called Holy Elixer Expensive A$$ Special ZF fluid is not even a Full synthetic base. It's all about Profit! $$$$ Show us they Money!!!!

I'm only doing what is in my best interest as well as the mechanical depenabilaty of my Rams drivetrain & sharing that info. But None of this is done without hours/hours of research behind it.
Hemi395 and Wild one like this.

2014 Bighorn - QC - 4WD - 5.7L - 8HP70 - 3:92 Anti-Slip
Oil: 4Qts (GTL)PUP 10W-30 / 3Qts SRT(GTL) 0W-40 Combo w/RP or FU Filter
Fluids-Front/8HP70/T-Case/Rear: RL 75W-90/RL D6/RL D6/RL 75W-140/90 Mix
Air Filter: AEM Drop-In dry flow Coolant: Peak Global Lifetime Mileage: 23,150

Last edited by SyN; 01-12-2017 at 09:14 AM.
SyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #86 (permalink)

Engine: 5.7 Hemi
This should answer a lot of questions!

Straight from ZF the manufacturer of the transmission
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.zf.com/global/media/en_zf...s/TE-ML_11.pdf

5-, 6-, 8- and 9-speed as well as 4HP20 automatic transmissions: ZF 5-, 6-, 8- and 9-speed as well as the ZF 4HP20 automatic transmissions are filled maintenance-free with specially developed partially synthetic ATF oils. Maintenance-free fills are intended for normal operating conditions. Especially driving at very high operating temperatures can result in accelerated aging or increased wear of ATF oils. It is recommended, in the event of severe operating conditions, such as:
- frequent highway driving in top speed range
- offensive, sporty driving style
- frequent trailer operation, being above average

oil purification (oil change) on automatic transmissions is recommended between 80,000 km and 120,000 km, or 8 years, depending on the load. In each case, only released ATF oil may be used for oil changes. And oil changes must be performed in accordance with the relevant specifications.
OMALLEY_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #87 (permalink)

Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Also here is the part number for the oil according to that ZF link

Chrysler Oil No.
68157995AA

ZF part number for the fluid found here for about $27 a bottle
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Liters-ZF-...BXd3oC&vxp=mtr

Looks like we are not alone in wanting to change the oil in these transmissions and others are already selling kits to do it with the oil & pan/filter included
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E70-F15-...RV8spC&vxp=mtr

Last edited by OMALLEY_808; 01-11-2017 at 04:34 PM.
OMALLEY_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:48 PM   #88 (permalink)
SyN

^^We within these walls are just a microscopic few of the owners who realize the need to service this transmission.

I do see the plastic pans are getting cheaper in price! I myself like the 1 time buy aluminum pan as being MY best option! If it drops my trans temps 5-10 degrees its well worth it! Especially when I'm towing.

I'm not too concerned with the filter media due to I have the best of both worlds installed (Spin-On Synthetic media filter with a ceramic neodymium magnets inside). Now I have FULL Confidence my fluid is always extremely clean going back to the transmission from the coolers. But having a pan filter with some type of Synthetic media is & would be a Huge benefit.
Wild one likes this.

Last edited by SyN; 01-12-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:16 PM   #89 (permalink)

Name: steve

Originally Posted by SyN View Post
^^We within these walls are just a microscopic few of the owners who realize the need to service this transmission.

I do see the plastic pans are getting cheaper in price! I myself like the 1 time buy aluminum pan as being MY best option! If it drops my trans temps 5-10 degrees its well worth it! Especially when I'm towing.

I'm not too concerned with the filter media due to I have the best of both worlds installed (Spin-On Synthetic media filter with a ceramic neodymium magnets inside). My fluid is always extremely clean going back to the transmission from the coolers. But having a pan filter with some type of Synthetic media is & would be a Huge benefit.
i have been told, land rover a few other mfg using the same trans suggest a 70000 mile fluid change. only FCA says lifetime fill.
SyN likes this.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:15 PM   #90 (permalink)
SyN

^^I can see that! At least they have sense enough to be realistic & realize ATF does NOT last forever!

I can see 70k for a daily driver! (Land Rover)
For a Truck that works 50K-60K is very realistic & logical.