8HP70 Transmission Pan Option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If this pan is deeper than the OEM plastic one, there may be a clearance issue with the stock exhaust crossover on Hemi trucks. If it's deeper, the pan should work fine on Hemi trucks with long tubes, or with the stock exhaust crossover relocated with some custom welding and pipe work and an aftermarket y-pipe.
If the pan is the same depth as the OEM plastic pan, it should work fine on Hemi 8-speed trucks.

OP
OP
AFMoulton

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I agree, but if you could re route that exhaust, which I think should be done anyways, this would be a good way to save money in the long run.

I don't believe in lifetime fluids. LoL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If someone could post a pic of the stock pan/exhaust clearance this might help determine if this pan will fit a Hemi or pentastar equipped truck. I would take the pic but I have the 6 speed...

OP
OP
AFMoulton

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I will run out and take a pic after I'm done with work. Hopefully that will help in this.

OP
OP
AFMoulton

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just keep in mind the heat exchanger will continue to heat the fluid no matter how much it's cooled...

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With 2 extra quarts of ATF, suspect it's deeper than the OEM pan, which would make it iffy to install with the stock exhaust crossover.
The additional 2 quarts of ATF will result in it taking a bit longer for the 8-speed to get up to it's (engineered by FCA) temp of ~185 degrees, but can't see the trans running cooler for two reasons; the heat exchanger on the drivers side of the transmission uses engine coolant to heat the ATF. Also there is a thermostatically controlled valve integrated with that exchanger that won't let the ATF flow to the cooler integrated into the radiator, until the ATF reaches 180 degrees. It is this valve, which even if running a cool engine T-Stat, that won't allow ATF temps to drop.
Eliminating the heat exchanger (and return the engine coolant to the diverter valve), and somehow bypassing that thermo controlled ATF valve so the ATF flows thru the cooler all the time are the only two ways I know of to reduce the operating temps of the 8-speed from the artificially high 183 to 186 degrees and higher.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Haha there you go. Personally I think it's asinine to heat up trans fluid. The number one enemy of transmissions is heat. But what do I know

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When you do get around to bypassing that heat exchanger, and if you also bypass the thermostatically controlled ATF valve which stops flow to the cooler until 180 degrees, please share what is involved. I don't have access to a lift, or time presently to scope the problem, but it's something that really needs to be done.

OP
OP
AFMoulton

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When you do get around to bypassing that heat exchanger, and if you also bypass the thermostatically controlled ATF valve which stops flow to the cooler until 180 degrees, please share what is involved. I don't have access to a lift, or time presently to scope the problem, but it's something that really needs to be done.

Will do, there is a guy on here,SyN, who was working on this end of last year, not sure what came of it, but I've been doing some research on how to "work" this issue

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought I read somewhere bypassing the thermostatic valve sets a check engine light?

OP
OP
AFMoulton

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I thought I read somewhere bypassing the thermostatic valve sets a check engine light?

So I think this boils down to a plumbing issue, if you could re route some of the plumbing to that valve and also the thermostat for the trans, we might be able to salve this problem.

The reason FCA wants to run it that hot is CAFE, just like we have found with engine oil, 5w-20 doesn't cut the mustard(unless you buy the best stuff out there)

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is a member of another forum, screen name transengineer, who frequents the Turbo Diesel Register, and he commented a while ago in the Eco Diesel area of that forum, that both valves can be bypassed without generating a code. My experience on that form was that he is extremely knowledgeable. He also mentioned that bypassing the ATF thermo valve would take a fair bit of fabrication, but he offered no details.

Syn mounted a larger ATF cooler on the front of his radiator, but that didn't lower his trans temps because of that valve, and the heat exchanger. If he's done anything since then, he hasn't had a chance to post it.

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree. plumbing. returning coolant to the diverter valve ought not to be a major PITA (but I've been victimized by those words before). Just disconnect the input and output to the heat exchanger and replace with an elbow of some kind. The thermo ATF valve and whatever special connectors are involved is the big unknown.

OP
OP
AFMoulton

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
9c61964bbc4ef97be8ea55458580f0c4.jpg

Found this gem, GDE has found a way to bypass the valve in the engine bay. Looking into that now.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looking at pictures of this pan on PPE's site it looks like theres a step built into the pan for clearance of the exhaust crossover pipe. I don't think there will be a problem with clearance...