Active Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlmjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Today I rode in a friend's new 2017 Charger Daytona. It has something called "active exhaust", which as I understand means the sound gets louder as you get into it. So, just going slow in the neighborhood is quiet and then when you get on it, you really get to hear it roar. It sounded great, and I was wondering if there's anything you can add after market to a 1500 truck like this. My 2014 1500 Express with the 5.7 doesn't sound anything like that car . . . kinda wish it did. Thanks.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Isn't that how the Carven progressive exhaust works?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
no.....don't do it......

I got rid of it on my 15 Charger SRT392......no need for it, lets roar!

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Today I rode in a friend's new 2017 Charger Daytona. It has something called "active exhaust", which as I understand means the sound gets louder as you get into it. So, just going slow in the neighborhood is quiet and then when you get on it, you really get to hear it roar. It sounded great, and I was wondering if there's anything you can add after market to a 1500 truck like this. My 2014 1500 Express with the 5.7 doesn't sound anything like that car . . . kinda wish it did. Thanks.

This would be awesome... I looked into those bi mode mufflers that vettes and camaros have that allow for two different tones, regular and loud. Sounds pretty similar to the charger's design.
What exactly is dual mode exhaust ? - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

The other easier option would be to run an electric cutout. I had one on my 3rd gen and liked it but dont want to run it on my 4th gen...Id rather have something like the bimode exhaust.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a ****** maxflow muffler which is just the right "loud" for my wife and neighbors. Going to do a manual cutout and use a doorman door unlock motor to make my own electric cutout. Open or closed and that's is.

Going to put a Thrush Rattler next to the Maxflow. Both will be dumped just before rear axle. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I think we all agree the stock RAM exhaust is too quiet.

The real issue is where you live and what your tolerance is for noise in the truck and what your neighbor's and the Po-po's tolerance is for noise from your truck.

I am of the opinion that with the OEM 3" single in dual 2.5" out exhaust, only the muffler needs fix'n and even then, only by going to a straight flow muffler.

Here's where I expect to receive hate mail: you only need to drop down to a 24" or at most an 18" performance muffler to wake up your RAM and tell the world you got some Hoss's under the hood. Anything shorter has drawbacks around the neighbors and Po-po. I know some of the country folk can get by with the muffler delete or like a bypass, but once you get into population, its kind of a liability.

Sure you can spend big bank on long tube headers, and I'm not adverse to that route for performance.
But I think there are better places to spend that coin than a new cat-back exhaust--after all is mostly a bunch of new pipe with a better muffler that you could have installed into the high quality factory original piping. :crazy:

Since most of us aren't building a 1/4 miler, straight pipes, or a bypass is (IMHO) over the top on a daily driver.

Of course, your live-in accountant/wife will probably have the most to say on how stupid-loud your truck can be and still work as a daily driver. :eek:
The guys over on the CRAM-ARROW forum point out they have similar drone issues to what we get on the RAM from the Hemi, and that their dual mode actuates after the drone frequency is exceeded. So delete pipes don't solve that and a manual cutout might, but its just one more thing to fail over time and cost you money.

Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Vac assist exhaust valve would be neat. Tight spring to it will open at about 50% or more throttle. That will make it loud.

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
I would love a kit that was pretty much a cutout before and after the muffler connected by a pipe... So you open them both at the same time and the exhaust bypasses the muffler but still comes out the tips.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
I think dynomax makes a muffler like that I'm going to google it lol.

Pneed38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish my 16' Express would sound like it does on a cold start "All The Time"!! It's stock as well...."Currently"..

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk