Active grill shutter experiment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so I was having an issue with my shutter stuck close on the truck(3rd time). Dealer after clearing the code said everything was fine... I understand how they work and my time is more valuable than arguing with them so I decided to try this
[yt]1ZP1GkfDMFI[/yt]

But after looking at how the assembly actually worked I decided to try something else. I drilled a hole and use a desk screw as the stopper. With the screw in this location the lever stop at the same position when it's operating the shutter.
0d4d733a0f5504c6dbf866b7c3ba816c.jpg

So far no CEL after a 25 miles run, but I'll give it a few days before calling it success.

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From your picture, it looks like there already was a hole where you placed that deck screw, or did you just deepen it? Either way, if this winds up working with no CEL generated, may be somewhat easier than trying to pry the assembly apart without breaking one of the plastic tabs to re-position the movement arm and then shim it like Shawn did.

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From your picture, it looks like there already was a hole where you placed that deck screw, or did you just deepen it? Either way, if this winds up working with no CEL generated, may be somewhat easier than trying to pry the assembly apart without breaking one of the plastic tabs to re-position the movement arm and then shim it like Shawn did.
I just deepen it. There's a hole on the other side too, but there's plastic in the middle holding the motor in the housing.
e0fc10c7da1773cbd77111a8eef755fd.jpg

I feel pretty confident that it will work as it goes from the screw (close) to the other end (open) and back to the screw without throwing code. When my shutter were jam closed, it would throw a code seconds after the efan would kick in for the first time (trying to open the shutter) .

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wonder what the MPG impact will be. Im guessing none.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I noticed a difference when I took out my shutters. Then again, I also disabled MDS. Believe it or not the two combined help MPG considerably. The change in aerodynamics was engineered in a wind tunnel its not just there as a marketing gimmick, it really works.

But, if you have a lower T-Stat you need to remove them or disable the actuator or they will never open.

LumberJakl

Reaction score
Ram Year
'17 Sport QC
Engine
5.7L 4x4
Keep us in the loop! I love this method than the other I've found on youtube. You pretty much made it bullet proof

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On my '17, I removed all the shutter elements except the upper left and lower right, and noticed no difference in highway mileage. I added a 180 T-stat later, and mileage also didn't change. I was still getting mid 18's to low 19's in mpg cruising @ 70 to 75. After disabling MDS (by using the paddle shifters) my mileage actually has improved to between mid 20's to a bit over 21 mpg while cruising at the same speeds.
The increased mileage with MDS off has repeated on several trips so it isn't a fluke. Others on this forum have experienced the same thing with MDS off; 1 to 2 mpg better highway mileage with it off.

electricyeti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I gain mpgs with it shut off also. I thought it was hunting gears and shifting up and down a lot (plus I hate the sound of it) in MDS. Even in the hill areas with the 3.92's on the interstate it never shifts once I get up to speed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Tried your idea tonight,after 54 miles of high speed (80mph) freeway driving I have no codes,but I don't count my chickens hatched till 500 miles has gone by.Honestly I didn't see any change in temps,my truck still runs at 185F engine temp/ 180F on tranny temp/about 192 to 196F oil temp,and that was with the grill out and laying on my shop floor.About the only thing I noticed is it takes about 5 miles for everything to come up to temp,instead of a mile.If you live in a colder climate,i doubt you'd see any gains. I do run a 180F thermostat and i'm tuned for it. I'm going to leave them out for awhile and see if I get any codes though.The outdoor temp was about 75F when I was testing earlier,maybe if the outdoor temp was closer to 100F they might be worth removing,but as it stands at 75F I can't see any difference in my temps. The good thing is,it's an easily reversible mod using your screw trick,lol
Kudo's out to you for coming up with the idea

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just performed this bit of surgery as well. Went for a relatively short 15 mile jaunt in 95 degree ambient and no codes or other issues. Have a 370 mile trip coming up in a few days and will see what, if anything crops up then. Many thanks to 'bassheadhemi' for the insight. At least now, the trans cooler, condenser & radiator will have their full area with pressurized air flow when at speed, without the artificial restrictions of the stock configuration.

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Going to try this also.... I would much rather have the air way wide open to the radiator. I live in the Houston area, and of course, it's HOT down here in the summer.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried the screw in the same exact spot. About a week later I got a check engine light. I said F it and reinstalled everything back to factory.

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried the screw in the same exact spot. About a week later I got a check engine light. I said F it and reinstalled everything back to factory.

On my first try the motor pin was strong enough to push up the screw and go under it, but after getting the screw in more the pin couldn't pass anymore since the head blocked it.

After a few hundred miles the light still hasn't come on for me

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly when I did it, I didn't notice any positive affects from removing the shutters. That's why once I got the engine light, I just put everything back to factory.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If they open at a certain temperature then what advantage will be gained from removing them? Or do they open and close based on speed? Anyone know?

Edit: I just read a post by a Ram Tech that the PCM opens and closes them using a combination of temp and speed. It should work very well in my climate.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If they open at a certain temperature then what advantage will be gained from removing them? Or do they open and close based on speed? Anyone know?

Edit: I just read a post by a Ram Tech that the PCM opens and closes them using a combination of temp and speed. It should work very well in my climate.

I'm in Airdrie.and so far I haven't noticed any changes in engine temps with them out,other then it takes longer to get up to temp.i'm probably going to re-install them in a few weeks,but I want to run with-out them for a bit to see if I get any codes.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in Airdrie.and so far I haven't noticed any changes in engine temps with them out,other then it takes longer to get up to temp.i'm probably going to re-install them in a few weeks,but I want to run with-out them for a bit to see if I get any codes.

Good to know.

I think they might be nice for our winters.

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did this mod yesterday. No CEL as of yet. Previously I had removed a couple rows of the slats, and occasionally I would get a CEL. Now I have the whole assembly removed, have the screw in place and the lever will not go passed it. So far, so good.

Last edited: