Added just K&N Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

speeddemonxp97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I added a K&N filter (not a full CAI) 2 weeks ago and since then my MPGs seem to have dropped when the truck goes into "ECO" it doesn't seem to climb into the mid 20s like it used to.

Why would a better flowing filter cause this?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
K&N filters are not necessarily better flowing filters. The drop in mileage could also simply be because of the cooler weather and winter blend fuel. Cooler air is denser air which will use more fuel.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I added a K&N filter (not a full CAI) 2 weeks ago and since then my MPGs seem to have dropped when the truck goes into "ECO" it doesn't seem to climb into the mid 20s like it used to.

Why would a better flowing filter cause this?

Short answer is no. The factory air filter setup is free flowing enough driving around unless it was clogged with dirt.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
This is a prime example why CAI or just air filter alone mods without a tune are 99.9% of the time a waste.

Stock programing is going to adjust the fuel trim to a predetermined fuel/air ratio by programing. Modify the air intake and the fuel trim just adjusts to compensate.

Most claims of gains by a air intake only mod with no tune, are usually short lived until the vehicle's adaptive mapping for the fuel trim readjusts trying to bring bake the fuel/air ratio to factory parameters settle in.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just purchased a K&N myself and should be receiving early next week. My goal was maybe a little more pep and a better filter in general.

If I'm following correctly the "readjusting" to factory parameters is done by the vehicle's computer and the gains will take time b/c the truck is figuring out the change i.e. K&N filter? My impression on purchasing the new filter was no tune would be needed nor was one recommended...did I miss something?