After Market Rear Diff Cover??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
I sleep much better at night knowing my new rear end cover will never make contact with the stupid brace/what ever you want to call it directly about the cover welded to the cross member in the frame.
What is the official name for the thingy?

Attachments

• 02-01-17 Cover 8.jpg
    02-01-17 Cover 8.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 100

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Attachments

• 1 Rear.jpg
    1 Rear.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 91

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I sleep much better at night knowing my new rear end cover will never make contact with the stupid brace/what ever you want to call it directly about the cover welded to the cross member in the frame.
What is the official name for the thingy?

Oh wow you cut yours out Cuda....was it close to the hy-tec? :superhack:

I don't know what that piece does or is for...but defiantly looks impractical.

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
I did not measure the distance from the cover to the welded on bracket on the cross member, but, I did not ever want the two to make contact, now they never will.
It looked like about 4/5 inches from the cover, the yellow bump stops probably would of bottomed out first, not sure on that.
With a cutting torch, it took all of 1 minute to remove))))))))))

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I will check it out when I get around to installing my cover...I wonder what purpose it serves...crazy

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I did not measure the distance from the cover to the welded on bracket on the cross member, but, I did not ever want the two to make contact, now they never will.
It looked like about 4/5 inches from the cover, the yellow bump stops probably would of bottomed out first, not sure on that.
With a cutting torch, it took all of 1 minute to remove))))))))))

I have seen others do this but I have to wonder if this brace was added for a reason. Seems like it would have been.

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
And you can please tell me what this brace's purpose is to the Ram owner.

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4wd RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 4qts on hand and want to make sure I have enough with my new Mag-Hytec cover from Moe's Performance. In the beginning of the tread Matt from Moe's said that he used 5qts of RP while others have said they've used >4qts. Who is right?

Thanks

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
I had 8 ounces left from 4 quarts.
Post number 122 is what I had installed.
You are good to go.

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
Read post number 122, you will have that brace also.

Edit=you may not have that same brace I have with a regular cab.

Last edited:

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see that brace you're talking about. I may have to hold off for now till I decide if I'm going with a 4" lift or 2/4 drop. It sure looks like it would hit even with a 2" rear drop because I think people are cutting the rear bump stops in half.

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you guys filling the Mag-Hytec differential cover until it drains out the hole in the middle of the cover or filling until it's at the full mark on the dip stick?

Thanks

TheRudeDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you guys filling the Mag-Hytec differential cover until it drains out the hole in the middle of the cover or filling until it's at the full mark on the dip stick?

Thanks

You're supposed to take the dipstick and close it until the o-ring makes contact. At that point you want your oil to reach the midpoint (between low and full) and you are good to go!

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay thanks guys. I got it installed today and it took 3qt 20oz of Amsoil Server Gear 75W140 no friction modifier. I drove around in full lock LH and RH turns and heard nothing.

This cover worries me though. This thing has maybe enough room for a credit card to squeeze between the panhard bar and the Mag-Hytec cover. I'm going to call there tech line tomorrow and see if that is going to be an issue or not.

Last edited:

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
This thing has maybe enough room for a credit card to squeeze between the panhard bar and the Mag-Hytec cover
Take the bar off and grind some metal off where the bar might come in contact with the cover.
That is what I might do.
If the bar ever comes in contact with the cover, there goes your warranty on the cover, not that that might matter to you, it does not matter to me at all.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
20170221_061658_zps6pdgbxsh.jpg Photo by 1234567890a2 | Photobucket

That is 3 credit cards of space between the panhard bar and cover. Not a happy camper with the cover. I'm not a drivetrain expert but this looks a little to close for comfort for me.

These guys build a heavy duty offset adjustable panhard bar,just for the purpose of clearing aftermarket diff covers. Rob's bar is noticeably better quality then Spohns trackbar,i took the Spohn bar off mine and sold it for one of his heavy duty bars.They are in Canada,but the dollar works in your favour ,lol

https://www.facebook.com/Cutterup-Auto-Cummins-performance-1397600803869715/

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Do you have any pics of his bar installed with the aftermarket covers? I still havnt installed mine as of yet....but dam 3 credit cards is tight...any others have any problems? I know Matt from Moes runs one and sells them as well. Will the pan head bar move in that direction? I also have an after market hellwig sway on mine as well. I always like to upgrade so a new panhead bar wouldn't be out of the question for me either...just want to ensure there won't be any problems.:puke:

Also another idea that came to my mind is to grind down the cooling fins on the cover in the are of the panhead bar to make a little more clearance? Would be easy before installing the cover...any thoughts like to figure something out before installing.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I don't have any pics,but have looked at a truck with the Mag Tec cover and Robs offset bar,and there's a fair bit of clearance.I'd hazard a guess you'd gain almost an inch more clearance with the offset bar. Worth giving the man a shout if you're interested in gaining more clearance around your cover,and stepping up to a better quality adjustable bar. I ran Spohns bars on both my old 13 2X4 and now on this 14 4X4,and I couldn't get over how much nicer the 14 drives with his heavy duty bar compared to Spohns light duty bar,which leaves me thinking the Spohn bar flexes under load.Factor in the difference on the Canuck buck,and Robs bar is also cheaper then Spohns bar. With the Canuck buck sitting where it is,you guys can almost buy things for pennies on the dollar up here,lol

Pick a facebook page you like,say maybe NADODGE / Greene Team / or Ram R/T trucks and i'll post pics of my bar on it,i don't post pics here,to much of a pain in the ass to post a pic here

Last edited: