Air filter on turbo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CumminsTxBoy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins I6
Hey guys quick question if I do away with my whole cold air intake system and put a filter straight on my turbo are there any gains to be had doing that?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys quick question if I do away with my whole cold air intake system and put a filter straight on my turbo are there any gains to be had doing that?

Probably not. May change the sound a bit, but I'd prefer having the protection of the air box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
CumminsTxBoy89

CumminsTxBoy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins I6
Okay I was just asking cause I found a k&n filter for $20 and thought about picking it up

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
I wouldn't definitely not recommend doing that. The filter will get wet down there and won't be good at filtering anymore if that's the case. I also wouldn't recommend running a K&N filter on a daily driven vehicle.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is it about K+N you dont like?

I had a '99 Dakota for 12 years. Fro the vast majority of that little truck's life, it has a K+N.

I, and a lot of guys, have has K+Ns in motorcycles since the early 80s.never a problem....

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

1° There is no real benefit of a oiled cotton gauze filter, particularly not regarding power
2° If you oil it wrong it may leak oil mist in the intake or not filter well
3° I had 2 of them on different cars and both intake hoses had after some 20k miles a fine white power inside, probably passing thru the filter.

Just get a quality paper filter and change it frequently and your engine will be happy!

Chris

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted

I had a '99 Dakota for 12 years. Fro the vast majority of that little truck's life, it has a K+N.

I, and a lot of guys, have has K+Ns in motorcycles since the early 80s.never a problem....

I've seen a few different studies on air filters comparing the performance and filtering abilities of them. While K&N flows very well, it's actually terrible at filtering air and lets a ton of particulate through it. Fine for a vehicle that's not driven much or doesn't see a lot of dusty conditions. But for a daily driven vehicle that's put through all kinds of conditions I'd just sooner choose a filter that works better to reduce the amount of particulate going through my engine.

Google "air filter comparison diesel bombers" and take a read through the first article that pops up.