air intake question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnc77515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
hey guys im looking into getting a s&b cold air intake for my ram 1500 5.7l and i was wondering if yall could help me out as far as what modifications i would have to do after i install this intake kit

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't have an S&B, but I know someone that does and it's a real nice unit and very well made. Make sure to install the snorkel intake. I don't know if it comes with the kit or if its extra.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There's nothing else you have to do but to get full advantage of the additional air in, I'd recommend a freer flowing exhaust + a programmer to optimize fuel delivery, fuel mix and timing.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the forum. Cold air intakes have been talked about for many years, and most of them do nothing but make more noise unless you are adding a super charger, tuner, cam, and exhaust system. If you take a good look at them, most will draw hot air from under the hood.
The stock ram intake is a CAI if you look at where the air is coming from. Also the stock air filter will out flow the throttle body. I believe in save your money for other upgrades like a tuner, or HID light upgrade, or both.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Welcome to the forum. Cold air intakes have been talked about for many years, and most of them do nothing but make more noise unless you are adding a super charger, tuner, cam, and exhaust system. If you take a good look at them, most will draw hot air from under the hood.
The stock ram intake is a CAI if you look at where the air is coming from. Also the stock air filter will out flow the throttle body. I believe in save your money for other upgrades like a tuner, or HID light upgrade, or both.

+1

Basically, the ONLY time you would need more airflow is if at wide open throttle and the, only for the short time you are in the higher RPM's.
You can acheive greater air flow, for those rare occasions, by moddifying your OEM Air box. Plenty of threads on how to fdo this and much cheaper than an S&B or some such.

Use the money saved on other mods.

Tuners are a gr8 way to free up power, as well as replacing your OEM muffler for a more free flowing unit.

My suggestion, forget the CAI, mod your current oem unit. Pick up atuner and replace your muffler.
use your money in areas tht will make more of a difference than simply appearance.

dhows31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Actually, not trying to say anybody else is wrong but when I installed my S&B I noticed a faster throttle response. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I like my CAI , I went with a Volant unit.

Makes a nicer sound and has a 100,000 mile filter

I have added other mods, so it is hard to say what the gains are

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Nothing X2
Picture of the kit:
http://www.ramforum.com/members/casper-albums-cai-picture10654-goodies.html
Picture installed:
http://www.ramforum.com/members/casper-albums-cai-picture10652-finished_s_b_install.html

Why a CAI?
--Factory design focus is on quiet and easy assembly, not max performance. In particular the flex hose from factory air box to throttle body is irregular and causes a more turbulent air flow. How much? Enough for me to install a CAI.
--CAI is one of the easiest owner mods there is.
--I do believe I get a little something more in throttle response over stock--not a lot, but its there.
--S&B is enclosed, so unlike open filter versions or under hood clampers (K&N, AIRAID) it draws from the cold outside through the factory fender duct (and S&B has a second optional low suction too). Cold air is more dense making better combustions (and ignore the jacks who will tell you RAMs have a MAF sensor that cancels benefit, we categorically DO NOT).
--S&B CAI adds a little throttle noise without being 'poser' loud like the open filters and hood clampers, or preventing music and conversation at WOT.

Your truck, your $, your decision.

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My 07 MegaCan had much better throttle response with the AFE CAI I installed. My 300CSRT8 runs much better with a CAI installed. I can't wait to get the AFE CAI for my 2014 6.4L Ram.

In short I'm a believer in CAI's. No factory designed intake system is gonna flow as well because they are working on the NVH side of design, specifically designing components that reduce Noise, Vibration and Harshness. A CAI is noisier than the factory systems as the factory produced intakes have small resonance chambers, sound deadening material (I could NOT believe what we found when we pulled the stock intake off my bud's 2015 2500 CTD), restrictive kinks and bends in the pipe and all of that disrupts the smooth, laminar flow of air into the throttle body.

More air in + more air out = More Power.