Aisin v 66RFe urgent question for newbie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

finnrigged

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Made a deal over the phone yesterday here in Texas and will be buying the truck on Monday morning if I have the right answer here.

2015 RAM 3500 6.7 Cummins turbo i6 4x4 automatic dually

The big question is about the transmission.

The FORD dealer may not know what they have on their lot??? They list this truck as having the 66RFe but I am almost certain from the pictures they sent via text of the actual truck that it is the Aisan. Could someone take a look at the pic under the hood and confirm this for me so that I don't jump in and make a big mistake. I really want the Aisan for towing a heavy 5th wheel through the mountains in retirement.

My understanding is that the Aisan dipstick is on the drivers side but i do NOT know if the 66RFe is also. I think the 68 is on the passanger side from what I'm reading on this forum.

Also, do these 2015 3500 diesels automatically come with the exhaust brake or is that an option it may not have? The dealer doesn't list that out of lack of knowledge for RAM trucks. Bought it over the phone toward close of business yesterday and dealerships are closed in TX on Sunday's so I'm trying to sort this out before showing up Monday AM.

First RAM
First Diesel
First Dually
LAST TRUCK EVER HOPEFULLY!

Attachments

• IMG_33851.jpg
    IMG_33851.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_99281.jpg
    IMG_99281.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_33861.jpg
    IMG_33861.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 67

gmbohuntr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm running the 68 and mine's on the passenger side. As far as eb, not sure....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

gmbohuntr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Good looking truck btw....Love that color...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like the Aisin. Can you get the Vin #?

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Id be looking for the original window sticker. Otherwise, decoding the vin will tell u all u need to know.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Run the VIN at the Ram site and you can get the actual build info.

OP
OP
F

finnrigged

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Difficult to interpret their "codes" on the VIN decoder Tech Specs tab but it has the following in the transmission catagory:

Trans Order Code DF2, DG7, DFP

It looks like it gives 3 different trany codes...but maybe the first one in line is the one that is on the build????? That being the DF2...I believe to be the AISIAN. Is that how you read these code lines in the RAM vin check? First code is on your's...other codes are options...

EDIT:

Yes, that must be it (first column is the order and the others are options). The gearing ratio for this one hits the AISAN marks right down the first row for the gears:
1st: 3.74
2nd: 2.0 (actually listed as a touch less)
3rd: 1.34
4th: 1.00
5th: 0.77
6th: 0.63
Reverse: 3.54

Also glad to see that it may have 17's on it instead of 18's like the ad states. VIN spec says: LT235/80SR17 which I think I may want to help keep my 5er a bit more level.

4.1 front and rear axle ratio. I will have to do a LOT of reading on this site to see what this all means toward highway fuel economy stock. I am 95% highway everywhere I go and the 5th wheel will just be a daily driver for the majority of its life. Next I guess I'll have to look up and see what all of these "deletes" are about and how that impacts inspection here in Texas. Where there is a will...there is a workaround I am sure.

Thank you all very much for pointing me to that VIN check! Last 2 trucks (2002 Tacoma 2WD 4 cylinder ... Insert laughs here please... and last was a 2010 Tundra 4.6L v8 gutless gas hog). I have FINALLY ARRIVED :)

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The Aisin transmission has the dipstick on the driver's side, the 68RFE is on the passenger side.

The exhaust brake is standard issue on all fourth gen Cummins and is control by a switch in the center stack.

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Difficult to interpret their "codes" on the VIN decoder Tech Specs tab but it has the following in the transmission catagory:

Trans Order Code DF2, DG7, DFP

It looks like it gives 3 different trany codes...but maybe the first one in line is the one that is on the build????? That being the DF2...I believe to be the AISIAN. Is that how you read these code lines in the RAM vin check? First code is on your's...other codes are options...

EDIT:

Yes, that must be it (first column is the order and the others are options). The gearing ratio for this one hits the AISAN marks right down the first row for the gears:
1st: 3.74
2nd: 2.0 (actually listed as a touch less)
3rd: 1.34
4th: 1.00
5th: 0.77
6th: 0.63
Reverse: 3.54

Also glad to see that it may have 17's on it instead of 18's like the ad states. VIN spec says: LT235/80SR17 which I think I may want to help keep my 5er a bit more level.

4.1 front and rear axle ratio. I will have to do a LOT of reading on this site to see what this all means toward highway fuel economy stock. I am 95% highway everywhere I go and the 5th wheel will just be a daily driver for the majority of its life. Next I guess I'll have to look up and see what all of these "deletes" are about and how that impacts inspection here in Texas. Where there is a will...there is a workaround I am sure.

Thank you all very much for pointing me to that VIN check! Last 2 trucks (2002 Tacoma 2WD 4 cylinder ... Insert laughs here please... and last was a 2010 Tundra 4.6L v8 gutless gas hog). I have FINALLY ARRIVED :)
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk