Amsoil Signature Series vs Amsoil XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The signature series along with the E/A filter claims drain intervals of 25K miles. i have used this oil since i purchased my truck, however i don't go 25K miles, more like 15K miles when changing it. Not sure if i could go longer or not, but that's just thought i would shave 10K off for good measure. For 7 quarts and the EA filter, it's about $88/oil change.

The XL series claims drain intervals of 10K miles. For 7 quarts of XL and a WIX filter, it's about $61/oil change.

Assuming I drive 30K miles/year, i would do 2 oil changes under the signature series ($176), or 3 oil changes under the XL ($183). minimal difference in money.

However my question is, which would be better for my truck? doing the 2 with the signature series, or the 3 with the XL?

YIMBROKE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
In for this, about to do my first oil change on mine in a few weeks.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless you're consistently towing heavy loads or taking it to the track I would stick with the Signature series.
With the XL you'd be maxing out it's requirements while using the Signature series leaves you with some headroom; of course an oil analysis would be the only sure-fire method to check this.
Staying with longer intervals also keeps oil out of the recycling loop and frees up your time as well, which is of course very valuable.

That is my $.02 as a proud Amsoil dealer.

EDIT- to add to my previous "unless you tow heavily or take it to the track" comment, I see you have nitrous, and would hypothesize you're not a stranger with the skinny pedal? An analysis might be money (time) well spent at change time, to determine if changing more often at the limits of interval frequency outweighs the benefits of longer change intervals.

Last edited:

AirborneSilva

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use the XL series oil but will continue to change the oil when the computer tells me it's time, I figure it's cheap insurance to do an extra oil change a year but that's just me :happy160:

EDIT: I too am an Amsoil dealer so it's a little cheaper for me to do an extra oil change a year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
09SMOKINHEMI

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
looks like we're a bunch of dealers huh? me too :D

but no, i don't have nitrous.... yet :)

and i don't go to the track often, but yeah, i will do an oil analysis on my next oil change to see what it tells me.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the oil collection bottle for analysis, but would honestly rather blindly change my XL every 5,000km for peace of mind, than worry about pusing limits. Beside, who doesn't love to spend time on their back with their love suspended above them? :naughty:

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is pretty interesting I was actually in the process signing up to be a preferd customer. I will probably stick with the XL and not go over 7500 miles on my oil changes.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If still under warranty, I'd do OE, XL (or any OTC Chrysler certified), and follow your manual for intervals. Once out of warrantly, do as you wish. If an engine failure were to happen while under warranty (probably won't), I'd rather get Chrysler to cover the damages, vs. a 3rd party (Amsoil).

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I use the XL series oil but will continue to change the oil when the computer tells me it's time, I figure it's cheap insurance to do an extra oil change a year but that's just me :happy160:

EDIT: I too am an Amsoil dealer so it's a little cheaper for me to do an extra oil change a year.

On a 13 this makes sense on older ones though the computer would tell you to change oil at 3000 which is a waste of money and good oil.

$miley

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Do you say use the OE or XL over the Signature Series becuase of the duration you could go with Sig would be longer than manufactures reccomended duration. Or is there something about the Signature series that does not meet OEM specs? Thanks

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Signature series is true synthetic oil and if you want one of the two best oils you can buy then SS is the way to go. Read the synthetic oil thread, group 4 and 5 base are the only bases that you can run 15k plus on every oil change and not only have no bad symptoms like elevated TAN or acid \but minimal loss of TBN or additives. XL is very good oil, SS is great oil. Could make a lot of arguments to choose one over but you can never say XL is better then SS unless you just don't understand oil.

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Now I notice RP is much easier to get and I travel around. Might go with RP after all quick trip to major parts store is nice. But supposedly they removed the molly, not sure why, must be a pro and con? I want the best oil but doi not want to have to order it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
OIL IS KILLING OUR CARS

Since the gov't now limits zinc to around 800ppm, Moly is the answer for to lack of lubricity in oils. Zinc is a better friction modifier, but does not bond to metal like Moly. 9 out of 10 of all top oil companies use Moly, so RP really blew it by removing it. Only Valvoline and RP are the brands not using Moly. Do you think RP and Valvoline are right or the entire list of others? They stopped using it because it is expensive and they are trying to make profits and think we aren't paying attention. I have a case of RP in the garage, will be my last. Too bad too because they were the ones with the third highest Moly levels prior to removing it, a real shame IMO.

All of these synthetics use Moly...
Mobil1
Mobil Super Synthetic
Quaker State
Pennzoil Ultra
Pennzoil Platinum
Kendall GT-1
Castrol Edge
Shaeffers
Shell Formula
Havoline
Amsoil OE
FRAM
Redline
Motul

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have friends at work that own Ram trucks. When I ask them what oil they use they say, "I do not know, what ever Syn they use at the dealership" I want to use the best I easily get but at this point I have no idea. AmsOil has cool test that show they are they best on 4 out of 6 test they do buts it the Signature Series but it not API certified, plus its seems like it will be hard to get with out ordering. Ram wants me to use API to honor warranty. By they Redline did poorly in AmsOil test. RP use to have moly that supposedly we want but now they do not have it. Everyone I know that does not have a Ram uses Mobile -1 , but I read on here Ram owners say Mobile-1 makes the HEMI tick worst. I do not hear it yet and do not want to.

I was leaning toward AmsOil initially but not so sure how the API version XL holds up against other leading brands. Like to get the Signature Series seems like it the leader in testing but not API certified.

I was sold on RP because lots of people love it and seems they have really good Syn Oil filters. But RP no longer has molly, ( looks like Ams OIl 10k mile oil XL does not use it either and its supposedly better than the AmsOil OE oil that does).

Redline did poorly in AmsOil test (Supposedly independent test)

I am leaning to Castrol Edge at this point

I welcome any thoughts because I do not know what to get at this point really.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Order a case or two of the amsoil SS you will have oil on hand and you will be happy. Like stated before never heard of a dealer doing an engine oil test for failure unless they see something on tear down that would lead to not changing oil. otherwise there is no way to tell what oil you are running.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have friends at work that own Ram trucks. When I ask them what oil they use they say, "I do not know, what ever Syn they use at the dealership" I want to use the best I easily get but at this point I have no idea. AmsOil has cool test that show they are they best on 4 out of 6 test they do buts it the Signature Series but it not API certified, plus its seems like it will be hard to get with out ordering. Ram wants me to use API to honor warranty. By they Redline did poorly in AmsOil test. RP use to have moly that supposedly we want but now they do not have it. Everyone I know that does not have a Ram uses Mobile -1 , but I read on here Ram owners say Mobile-1 makes the HEMI tick worst. I do not hear it yet and do not want to.

I was leaning toward AmsOil initially but not so sure how the API version XL holds up against other leading brands. Like to get the Signature Series seems like it the leader in testing but not API certified.

I was sold on RP because lots of people love it and seems they have really good Syn Oil filters. But RP no longer has molly, ( looks like Ams OIl 10k mile oil XL does not use it either and its supposedly better than the AmsOil OE oil that does).

Redline did poorly in AmsOil test (Supposedly independent test)

I am leaning to Castrol Edge at this point

I welcome any thoughts because I do not know what to get at this point really.

I feel the best on the shelf reasonable price oils are Valvoline Syn, and Amsoil XL as you stated and I found out the Mobil one seems to cause ticking which went away when I went to the brands I mentioned above. I still push the Valvoline to 8 to 10k and it seems to do fine based on drivability and feel when changed. Amsoil SS is amazing but cost is very high and as much as I like it I am not that into waiting for the oil or paying shipping. I have moved and I'll have to see if the shipping is better for me now.

$miley

nwram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dealers everywhere? Who's closer, & would cost less to get Amsoil to WA state? :) actually, im sure there must be a local dealer nearby, but are all of them priced similarly? My "new" 2011 I think is still filled with dino oil, but how can I tell if its synthetic?

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
From what I've read, the Penn Plat. is the oil to use if you're looking for something easy to find and good.

I think my car will get that. The truck will probably get what ever is cheapest and gets me longer change intervals.