Anyone 4wd Launch with power adders?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

customcarz973

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, a little nervous to launch in 4wd with boost. Anyone with over 500rwhp do it? Did your transfer case live? lol.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Who has the supercharged regular cab. Im pretty sure he beats his up pretty bad in 4x4

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Who has the supercharged regular cab. Im pretty sure he beats his up pretty bad in 4x4

That would be me and yes, launching in auto-4 without traction control will definitely stick you to the seat in my truck :evillol: (see mods in SIG)

Done it for a couple years now with no damage whatsoever, these are tough trucks. As long as you have the 8-speed, you'll be fine...

Last edited:

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That would be me and yes, launching in auto-4 without traction control will definitely stick you to the seat in my truck :evillol: (see mods in SIG)

Done it for a couple years now with no damage whatsoever, these are tough trucks. As long as you have the 8-speed, you'll be fine...

Do you always leave it in 4-auto the whole time or change it back to 2wd after the launch when you have traction to reduce some of the drag of powering all 4 tires?

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4-auto only powers the tires when there is a certain amount to throttle or slip. I do not leave mine in 4-auto because it gets fussy in my subdivision when going about 20 and winding roads it likes to kick in and out. I can hear/feel mine when its doing it. I know its programmed to save itself but its not needed 93% of my driving, and when I do need it, its a button press away.

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
4-auto only powers the tires when there is a certain amount to throttle or slip.

Correct, this^^^

It will be in 2wd most of the time unless it detects slip then will use 4 seamlessly, you won't even feel it switch; I don't anyways. Think WilliamS's may have an issue if it pops in and out. I usually just leave mine in auto and have never had it act up or anything, has always been smooth and maintains full available traction at all times. Just leave it in auto and let the truck do the thinking and work for you :waytogo:

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I haven’t done it on dry pavement, only wet and snowy. No issues noticed yet. Definitely puts you back in the seat more compared to 2wd even on dry pavement.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Do you always leave it in 4-auto the whole time or change it back to 2wd after the launch when you have traction to reduce some of the drag of powering all 4 tires?

Don't change it under power,things might go bang if you do,lol. Mine lasted about a dozen passes shifting it under power.If you're going to launch in 4X4,i'd leave it in 4X4 till at least the 330ft mark,i was shifting my T-case as soon as the tranny made the 1-2 shift,about the 60ft mark,and it didn't like it much.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Don't change it under power,things might go bang if you do,lol. Mine lasted about a dozen passes shifting it under power.If you're going to launch in 4X4,i'd leave it in 4X4 till at least the 330ft mark,i was shifting my T-case as soon as the tranny made the 1-2 shift,about the 60ft mark,and it didn't like it much.

Which transfer case do you have?

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Hmm good to know. Iv tried shifting it back to 2wd when shifting from 1-2 a few times and haven’t noticed anything or felt anything but probably won’t try it again now just to be safe lol

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Same one as you have,mines a sport too.

So you have the 44-44 with 4auto then. That t-case will likely be less harsh on the driveline when switching modes under load, since it’s clutch based.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So you have the 44-44 with 4auto then. That t-case will likely be less harsh on the driveline when switching modes under load, since it’s clutch based.

It might be less harsh,but mine didn't like a high torque shift Dan. The dealer put a new clutch in mine under warrenty,and told me they wouldn't do it again if I kept shifting it under power at the track,lol. I think once you're into the higher tranny gears and there's a lot less torque going through the clutch you'll be okay,my downfall was shifting the T-case as soon as the tranny shifted into 2nd,so there's still a pile of torque going through the clutch. I know some guys are getting away with shifting the T-case at the track with no issues. Mine might of been an oddball one,but I quit pushing my luck,and bought enough tire it'll hook up in 2wd,figuring drag radials are cheaper then having to pay for another clutch out of my pocket if it piled up again,lol.My local dealer bends over backwards for me,as they've pushed a couple limited slips plus the T-case through on warrenty,and they know what I do with the truck every Friday night in the summer,doesn't hurt that I run their decal on the back window though,lol