Back pressure??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArmRippinToys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 1989
Engine
So after discussing in another post what exhaust set up to go with and deciding I started think... With the muffler completely gone and just a straight pipe welded in its place and a second Y pipe to connect it to the dual outlets and the only thing between the engine and tips being the cats and resonators if I were to throw some JBA headers and a magnaflow Y pipe would I be opening up the exhaust to much and actually losing some power due to lack of back pressure or do the factory cats and resonators work well enough in that aspect so I'll be fine with that set up?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
You would be fine. You should actually gain some tq with that setup.

You would have to run a big set of duals or open cutouts on the back of the header collectors to notice any tq loss. These hemi trucks love to breathe, so open it up and let it rip.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i feel with my mufflex that i did lose some low end torque, think it might have gotten a little worse with the addition of the K&N cai, but i know it has gained more up high

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
your feeling of lost TQ, wouldnt happen to be related to the larger tires your running possibly ???

the addition of your intake should have in fact helped with low end TQ gain, then across the entire rev range...

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
nope, i had the cai and mufflex before the tires

Picton

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 - 1500 Express CC 4x2
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah...I have the K&N cai...Fastman modified TB...JBA headers...removed factory Y-pipe to a DI/DO muffler...removed resonators...I probably lost some low end torque...but man..it makes up for it after 2nd gear. You can push yourself back in the seat stopping it at 50mph. I never gun my truck(usually) and would rather have the high end. Now if we can just break these damn PCM codes.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quick question, have I lost too much back pressure by dumping my exhaust before the muffler?

Lawhand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
your throttle response should go up with a performance muffler and CAI, and it may feel like ur losing low end power but that is because u have to use less throttle to get up to speed. might be a mental thing i guess. put my mufflex on and CAI and my **** its like 2x as fast. when i have to drive other pplz all stock rams. SOOOO SLOW!!!! THROTTLE DOES NOTHING! drives me crazy

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye