Bad transfer case?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2014 1500 w/8 speed and the auto 4wd t case.

Update: looks to be the rear. New video in post 5.

I had it in auto and made a left turn. Heard a pop/clunk, sounded maybe from the drivers side under my feet. I put it back in 2wd. Made a few more turns, and no more popping, but felt a slight binding.

Then I got to the gas station. The ground is dry and felt a very strong binding and tire skipping as if it's still in 4wd or my rear end is locked up.

Im not sure if our limited slip rears are able to malfunction and lock up on a slow roll, but it didn't seem to be the rear.

Now, the 44-44 uses clutches to engage. I put the transfer case in different modes then back to 2wd. It seemed to be working ok for 30 miles or so. No noises or binding. It started to rain again but I left it in 2wd. I made a right turn, uphill, moderate throttle, and she launched. Damn thing is still engaged, but only seems to bind when throttle is applied, not coasting, which is how the 44-44 is programmed.

Now we got to our destination, and when we were backing into our space, as we turned, very loud clunks that could be felt strongly. Something is very wrong.

I had to drive it back home. It's severe thunderstorms, wife and infant, we just had to go. I coasted most my turns which were fine. I took a video as I turned on my street and we can hear it. Its hard to hear over the rain, but it's the here and you can hear a clunk over and over.

Can a bad cv joint under load cause severe binding? T-case?

https://youtu.be/TuYVIwwL_FQ

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In pouring rain the drive train would not bind up that much if the transfer case is in 4wd lock. Assuming the whump whump whump sound is what you refer to, I'd guess something with the front axle shafts.

Any modifications ?

OP
OP

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In pouring rain the drive train would not bind up that much if the transfer case is in 4wd lock. Assuming the whump whump whump sound is what you refer to, I'd guess something with the front axle shafts.

Any modifications ?
Yes, that whump noise.

No mods, all stock.

OP
OP

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update, better weather today and the baby is inside. It's the rear end.

It's weird though, sometimes it's locks, sometimes it doesnt. Sometimes it clunks. Here is a better video
https://youtu.be/XZnWMd62zeU

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow that doesn't sound good. Do you have the antispin (posi) rear axle?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
That doesn't sound good at all, hope there isn't metal chunks in the housing.
Has the fluid been changed recently?

OP
OP

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That doesn't sound good at all, hope there isn't metal chunks in the housing.
Has the fluid been changed recently?
Fluid was fine at 30k. It's got 36000 miles on her.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Fluid was fine at 30k. It's got 36000 miles on her.

I asked just in case the vehicle was serviced somewhere recently, and the differential fluid was changed. Maybe the friction modifier wasn't added.
Probably worth the time to pull the cover and inspect, add new fluid and modifier.

OP
OP

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I asked just in case the vehicle was serviced somewhere recently, and the differential fluid was changed. Maybe the friction modifier wasn't added.
Probably worth the time to pull the cover and inspect, add new fluid and modifier.
It's going to dealer in the AM. It's warranty time. I'd love to pull it off and see but with the infant, I just don't have the time.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Keep us informed on what the dealer says and or finds

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Subscribed for the results

OP
OP

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Keep us informed on what the dealer says and or finds
For sure.

My dealer has been great so far but now comes a real test. Hopefully it's not a painful experience

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good luck Sir ! Most dealers are idiots . Sounds like you may have found a good one !
There are good ones out there , I've found one .

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

^^This. Thats why I was asking about the antispin axle. I had a 88 Trans Am years ago that made a god awful noise when turning when I bought it. I changed the diff fluid and put the correct amount of posi additive in and it was whisper quiet after that.

Just a thought, try Redline diff fluid as it contains the friction modifier already in it.

Does it make any noise at all driving perfectly straight? Seems to me if there were metal chunks floating around in there it would be making noise whether you were turning or going straight and it would be more random...

OP
OP

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^This. Thats why I was asking about the antispin axle. I had a 88 Trans Am years ago that made a god awful noise when turning when I bought it. I changed the diff fluid and put the correct amount of posi additive in and it was whisper quiet after that.

Just a thought, try Redline diff fluid as it contains the friction modifier already in it.

Does it make any noise at all driving perfectly straight? Seems to me if there were metal chunks floating around in there it would be making noise whether you were turning or going straight and it would be more random...
She sounds perfect when driving straight. It would sometimes pop when slowing down 5 miles per hour or under coming to a stop and same when accelerating. Right now it's doing it on probably 50% of the turns.

It still has the stock fluid from the factory in it and any maintenance that would be done to it is done by myself.

I haven't towed and most of my miles are highway miles.

smon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe your front axle disconnect isn't disconnecting all the way? Is your front driveshaft loose in 2wd?

OP
OP

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I got the truck back. Spider gears we're missing most their teeth.

I really love my dealer , Countryside in Georgia. They couldn't get the parts delivered qiuckly enough so they actually went out and pick them up!