Bare 409 Headers vs Coated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm looking at some LT Headers for my 2014 Ram, and the question i have is about the coating. For the JBA 1-3/4" bare 409's what is the benefit of the coating? This is not going to be a show truck and i don't need them to stay bright and shiny.
Are there other benefits from having them coated that i'm missing?
Trying to justify if i need to spend the additional green. Also, do these bolt right up to the stock Y-Pipe?
Thanks guys.

Trapinator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking at some LT Headers for my 2014 Ram, and the question i have is about the coating. For the JBA 1-3/4" bare 409's what is the benefit of the coating? This is not going to be a show truck and i don't need them to stay bright and shiny.
Are there other benefits from having them coated that i'm missing?
Trying to justify if i need to spend the additional green. Also, do these bolt right up to the stock Y-Pipe?
Thanks guys.
They won't fit to the stock y pipe. You would need to get one or have one custom made. As far as the coating I would say it just keeps heat down slightly.
c88954e69c5d65b3feb2b06ef202030f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DailyRam

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So with the JBA Y-pipe, then it would become a straight bolt on operation?

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
And it looks a ton better.....

OP
OP
DailyRam

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The looks aren't a major concern. I'm not going to be popping the hood to show off headers.
If the extra $ is needed to get the coated ones, i can swing it, but if it's just a superficial thing then i'm more than happy to put that money into something else.

stoviAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go bare. Besides the protection from corrosion.. Ceramic retain heat in exhaust system which supposedly helps the gases exit quicker (or so ive read) but I run no cats and zoomers full exhaust. No issues with gasses getting out.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

stoviAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go bare. Besides the protection from corrosion.. Ceramic retain heat in exhaust system which supposedly helps the gases exit quicker (or so ive read) but I run no cats and zoomers full exhaust. No issues with gasses getting out.

Bare LT kooks btw

Trapinator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So with the JBA Y-pipe, then it would become a straight bolt on operation?
You would need to make one cut on the existing long run of exhaust pipe

BIGMIKE27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ceramic Coated Exhaust Parts
This is a spray-on finish that’s infused with heat-insulating ceramics. It is not a DIY solution, these exhaust parts are coated at the factory, or sent to a facility with the proper equipment.
ProsProvides the biggest horsepower gains when compared to other exhaust insulation methodsReduces under-hood temperatures better than other types of exhaust insulationThe ceramic coating is applied evenly on both the inside and outside of the exhaust pipes, preventing “hot spots” that can cause metal fatigue Improves the laminar flow of your exhaust gasses Prevents rust and corrosion of the ceramic coated parts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great post and I was also wondering the same question. Let us know how those JBA fit since I heard they don't fit well and to get the ARH for a better fit.

Are you going to run the supplied gaskets and bolts or get different ones?

Trapinator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great post and I was also wondering the same question. Let us know how those JBA fit since I heard they don't fit well and to get the ARH for a better fit.

Are you going to run the supplied gaskets and bolts or get different ones?
Mine fit perfect no issues. Also have checked multiple times no issues with the steering knuckle either

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
My JBA 1 3/4 longtubes and catless Y are going on tomorrow, as well as a ATI Underdrive pulley, and a clutch fan delete,. I got the SRT 6.1/6.4 metal gaskets to go with it. Can't wait ! :D

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My JBA 1 3/4 longtubes and catless Y are going on tomorrow, as well as a ATI Underdrive pulley, and a clutch fan delete,. I got the SRT 6.1/6.4 metal gaskets to go with it. Can't wait ! :D

Any reason why you got the 1 3/4 over the 1 7/8 and why SRT 6.1/6.4 gaskets over like the oem 5.7 ones?

stoviAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ceramic Coated Exhaust Parts
This is a spray-on finish that’s infused with heat-insulating ceramics. It is not a DIY solution, these exhaust parts are coated at the factory, or sent to a facility with the proper equipment.
ProsProvides the biggest horsepower gains when compared to other exhaust insulation methodsReduces under-hood temperatures better than other types of exhaust insulationThe ceramic coating is applied evenly on both the inside and outside of the exhaust pipes, preventing “hot spots” that can cause metal fatigue Improves the laminar flow of your exhaust gasses Prevents rust and corrosion of the ceramic coated parts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Horsepower gains for coated? Lol.. Not unless your building a high performance race car. Otherwise juice isn't worth the squeeze

Trapinator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
More of a longevity thing too me

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
409 SS is like the ******* of the SS family. It doesnt fit in with SS as it rusts so its more like Mild steel, but it costs closer to 304. Personally I hate it and its a waste of metal. I would rather pay the cheaper price for mild steel and know its going to rust knowing I spent less on it vs the company who uses it to just say (Made with SS) even tho its 409 so were going to charge you more and its going to rust anyways. I would just rather a 304 or 312 header if I'm going to spend the money as it holds up much better etc.

409 is crap and dont waste your money.

As far as coating headers... I have mine coated but its mainly to keep my supercharger inlet temps lower (my inlet is right above the header (not on my ram))as it will def lower underhood temps. However its not worth the money for the very minimal if any power gains. You dont do it for power gains... you do it for radiant heat control, velocity and looks (durability). Spend your money elsewhere to get more hp per $.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you don't mind the orange flash rust after a few months, then it won't matter. For what its worth. My JBA's went on my 3rd gen just fine. No clearance issues. If i was paying full retail, i might spring for the coated just so they don't rust at all, and would inevitably last longer, but mine were on clearance for $200...so yeah .lol

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
true! $200 is a good deal. I would have still hit them with a $6 can of 1200*F header paint and baked them (or use a propane torch) so its alittle tougher for install. The rustoleum stuff has been pretty good for me compared to the VHT or dupicolor stuff.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
true! $200 is a good deal. I would have still hit them with a $6 can of 1200*F header paint and baked them (or use a propane torch) so its alittle tougher for install. The rustoleum stuff has been pretty good for me compared to the VHT or dupicolor stuff.

Yeah they had one little ding in them, and someone tossed them on the clearance rack for $200.lol still had bolts, o2 extensions and gaskets. So i snagged them!

I keep hearing that same thing about rustoleum getting better and better. Some tell me its even better than por-15 for regular chassis type painting and rust prevention.

OP
OP
DailyRam

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Really good info.
the 1-3/4" are supposed to fit a lot better than the 1-7/8" from what I've read.
i hadn't thought of header paint, that's a good call.