Best braking setup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fergeson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone have input on what they are using to have the best overall braking performance? I do not tow regularly but have larger wheels and tires and I want something that will last and help stop my truck easier also

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
With abs what difference does it make? Maybe look at pad and rotor upgrades, get a good slotted or side cut rotor. You can actually make gains by replacing the brake line to a steel. But abs decides when you stop.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I would never put side drilled rotors on a truck. They crack way too easy.

If you want uncompromising stopping in all weather, get yourself a set of duralast gold rotors and premium ceramic pads. Since you don't tow a lot I wouldn't recommend semi-metalic pads as it's unlikely you'll overheat the ceramic pads, and that is far outweighed by the quiet, smooth, long life of a ceramic pad.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
well if you really want upgraded brakes. R1 concepts makes a big brake kits for our truck. 6 piston front 4 piston rear. Costs about 5 grand lol.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Could be 20 grand, it wont make you stop faster. The best upgrade you can do as far as brakes go, upgrade the driver. Read here.

Good brake habits (keep them cool) and your stock brakes will be just fine. If you tow heavy have a tow brake or trailer brake and use your engine even if it is just Tow Haul. You can spend 5 grand and feel better about it, but in the end if you read the link you see the challenges. If you had a need for it that would be one thing, but I don't see an impressing need here. If it aint broke.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi

If you want uncompromising stopping in all weather, get yourself a set of duralast gold rotors and premium ceramic pads. Since you don't tow a lot I wouldn't recommend semi-metalic pads as it's unlikely you'll overheat the ceramic pads, and that is far outweighed by the quiet, smooth, long life of a ceramic pad.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have the duralast gold rotators and ceramic pads on mine. It's very smooth braking and I feel confident I'm gonna stop when I need to

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Upgraded brakes will help you stop better on a normal driving experience. Op wasn't asking to outbrake a super car, just make better stops. How many times have abs kicked on other then when your sliding on wet/bad roads? I've driven lots of cars with cheap bad brakes, you can definitely tell a difference when a good set of brakes grab and stop you.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I think its Power Stop, slotted and dimpled rotors ebc brake pads are what I used on my last truck.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

That may have been true at one time but my understanding is the metals used in the newer rotors and how the holes and number of holes have solved cracking issues. It is now more important to purchase a rotor/pad combination for optimization.

I just went through a lot of reading about braking solutions since I needed new brakes on my 2013 RAM. There are a few good choices out there, I chose the Powerstop Z23, it was a good balance between brake lifetime and braking performance. The Powerstop solution received high marks from users on both Rock Auto and Amazon. At the time of purchase, Amazon had the kit on sale (I bought all four corners) plus a 10% off coupon.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope. Plain old vented rotors are still the best. Stay away from grooves and drilling. They cause issues because the area around the holes cools down faster than the areas without the holes.

Sure, they look cool, but you're not getting better performance or a longer lasting part.

Dangulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nope. Plain old vented rotors are still the best. Stay away from grooves and drilling. They cause issues because the area around the holes cools down faster than the areas without the holes.

Sure, they look cool, but you're not getting better performance or a longer lasting part.

I've owned big brake kits and everything I've experience is the complete opposite of your opinion.

If a big brake kit was offered for the front in a price range of 1000-1200 id buy it in a heartbeat.