Best/cheapest way to get rid of ECO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I want I rid my truck of the cylinder deactivation. What is the best and cheapest way to achieve this? Not interested in any other mods.

TIA

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The cheapest way is to put the truck in Drive, use the gear select buttons on the steering wheel, press - then + all the way to 8. That turns off the mds as per FCA engineers. It has to be done every time you put it in drive which is a PITA. The best way to turn it off permanently would be to buy a tuner but that is not cheap and will affect warranty if they find you are using one.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The cheapest way is to put the truck in Drive, use the gear select buttons on the steering wheel, press - then + all the way to 8. That turns off the mds as per FCA engineers. It has to be done every time you put it in drive which is a PITA. The best way to turn it off permanently would be to buy a tuner but that is not cheap and will affect warranty if they find you are using one.

Correct me if I am wrong, but couldn't this be an alternative to Pedal Commander? I know nothing about it, except you get more "prep" when you step on the gas. The same with putting your truck in + 8.

Am I completely off the mark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The peddle commander speeds the reaction time that your gas peddle talks to your throttle body. Some feel a delay, in stock form, from the moment you step on the gas until your truck accelerates. I haven't really noticed the issue on this truck myself.

The procedure above turns off the mds so you will not have cylinder deactivation. It will always be using all 8 cylinders. It will still shift through all 8 speeds as normal but I have noticed once you do this you can see what gear the trans is in at all times, which I thought was kind of cool. I must admit that I don't use this procedure often because you have to do it every time you put it in drive.

Last edited:

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The peddle commander speeds the reaction time that your gas peddle talks to your throttle body. Some feel a delay, in stock form, from the moment you step on the gas until your truck accelerates. I haven't really noticed the issue on this truck myself.

The procedure above turns off the mds so you will not have cylinder deactivation. It will always be using all 8 cylinders. It will still shift through all 8 speeds as normal but I have noticed once you do this you can see what gear the trans is in at all times, which I thought was kind of cool. I must admit that I don't use this procedure often because you have to do it every time you put it in drive.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Out of curiosity- Why do you want to get rid of it?
Mine used to drive me nuts but I altered my driving habits.
When in town I lock the gear selector out in 4th and turn on tow haul so I don't have to deal with my truck hunting between 2nd and 6th and feeling mds Activate. How ever I love my mds on the Hwy and the Fuel mileage it nets me.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is MDS and what does it do?

Forcepro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

It's what FCA calls cylinder deactivation to help fuel economy numbers. A lot of people don't like it because with an aftermarket exhaust it sounds terrible.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Multi-Displacement System = it shuts down 4 cylinders when they are not needed to increase fuel mileage, or at least that is the goal of the system. Some report no fuel mileage decrease from shutting it off.

OP
OP
Farmer Fran

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Multi-Displacement System = it shuts down 4 cylinders when they are not needed to increase fuel mileage, or at least that is the goal of the system. Some report no fuel mileage decrease from shutting it off.

And it's the same 4 cylinders all the time.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Call a shark a fish and get corrected... All good though, the dash says ECO and I want it gone.

The ECO light can still come on even if the MDS isn't on..... ECO just means you are conserving gas, doesn't mean the MDS is activated. I'm not sure but is still may light up even if you deactivate the MDS. They are 2 separate things.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Call a shark a fish and get corrected... All good though, the dash says ECO and I want it gone.

The ECO light can be turned off in the display settings in your radio, it shows up as fuel saver display. All the ECO light does is show that you're currently driving in an fuel efficient manner. That's all it does, it doesn't change anything and is no indication of MDS.

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The ECO light can still come on even if the MDS isn't on..... ECO just means you are conserving gas, doesn't mean the MDS is activated. I'm not sure but is still may light up even if you deactivate the MDS. They are 2 separate things.

This is true, even with MDS disabled, the ECO light will still come on, if it's enabled in the radio.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The ECO light can be turned off in the display settings in your radio, it shows up as fuel saver display. All the ECO light does is show that you're currently driving in an fuel efficient manner. That's all it does, it doesn't change anything and is no indication of MDS.

Didn't know there is an option to turn it off in radio settings.... have to check that out tonight after work. Thanks!!!

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ and not all trucks have the eco light-
My 2014 2500 6.4 doesn't have the eco light - but I belive the 2015"s up do in the 3/4 to. Class with the 6.4. The 5.7 in the 2500 does not have the mds. Mds is the biggest reason these trucks have resonators to cut down on drone. I have a direct swap magnaflow muffler-" the mufflex" and I do t have any added noise/drone from the new muffler but I did leave my resonator in- some people say they can't tell when their mds is active- But that's all person difference cause I can tell imideatly when mine is on.