Best/cheapest way to get rid of ECO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The peddle commander speeds the reaction time that your gas peddle talks to your throttle body. Some feel a delay, in stock form, from the moment you step on the gas until your truck accelerates. I haven't really noticed the issue on this truck myself.

The procedure above turns off the mds so you will not have cylinder deactivation. It will always be using all 8 cylinders. It will still shift through all 8 speeds as normal but I have noticed once you do this you can see what gear the trans is in at all times, which I thought was kind of cool. I must admit that I don't use this procedure often because you have to do it every time you put it in drive.

Yes but I recently did a FL to NC drive and disabled MDS using the gear selection to 8+. While the truck was set this way I did feel more pep in the truck when maneuvering around traffic. Still got the "ECO" when in cruise and long flat sections of highway. However the truck seemed to shift much quicker to pass traffic when set to 8+. She was definitely more responsive.

jon0m0berry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
yeah the ECO light and MDS, while walk hand in hand, are not the same thing. I can have my hemifever tune installed with MDS completely shut off and the ECO light will still turn on from time to time. also another easy way to disable the MDS is to just put it into tow/haul mode.

transam210

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The light indicates MDS is active In 4th gen Rams, mine is on in the radio and will come on only if I forget to do my gear select. I have never had the ECO light come on when I do my gear select or tow mode ever in any of my 3 trucks. I did a test and went a full week with the MDS active and a full week with it cut off, I saw zero difference in fuel economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The light indicates MDS is active In 4th gen Rams, mine is on in the radio and will come on only if I forget to do my gear select. I have never had the ECO light come on when I do my gear select or tow mode ever in any of my 3 trucks. I did a test and went a full week with the MDS active and a full week with it cut off, I saw zero difference in fuel economy.

Everyone drives differently I can tell you I deffinetly get better mileage out of my pig 6.4 2500 with 373"s when mds is active. And the eco light and mds are seperate on later 4th gens. I don't even have a eco light and I have mds. Some people driving habits/ truck mainntanece may lead to the eco light not coming on at all. I think they changed the eco light setting parameters past 2015 - but not sure

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What is MDS and what does it do?

Put simply, under certain conditions it turns your 8 cylinder hemi into a 4 cylinder engine by dectivating 4 cylinders to save fuel. I find it effective. I rarely if ever do city driving.