Best Header Gasket and Header Bolts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi,
So I seen that this topic has been covered multiple times already, but I couldn't find a straight answer.

So I will be getting some JBA LT's in soon and I wanted to make sure the install was done right.

As far as manifold gaskets and bolts, should I do Remflex and Stage 8?
Or should I get OEM 6.1 gaskets with the OEM 6.1 bolts?

Any input would be appreciated!
:3681700201_eef6d1e2

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't use them because they weren't available when I did my install, but the Remflex look like an amazing gasket. If I could've gotten them, I would have. As far as bolts go, you're only talking 18 lb. ft. of torque, so you don't need anything spectacular. The bolts that came with my JBA's worked just fine for me. You could spend some coin and get Stage 8's or even a set of ARP bolts, but I really don't believe that's necessary.

OP
OP
PNUTLT1

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't use them because they weren't available when I did my install, but the Remflex look like an amazing gasket. If I could've gotten them, I would have. As far as bolts go, you're only talking 18 lb. ft. of torque, so you don't need anything spectacular. The bolts that came with my JBA's worked just fine for me. You could spend some coin and get Stage 8's or even a set of ARP bolts, but I really don't believe that's necessary.

I seen the remflex gaskets and they look mean and look liek they will never leak hahah.

All I hear about stage 8 bolts is that they are a PITA to install.
I am sure they do a good job though.

Are the 6.1 mopar bolts good enough to do the job?
Since they have loctite applied to them, do they need anti-sieze still or should they just be installed as is?

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 6.1 bolts have anti-seize on them, not loc-tite. The Mopar 5.7 gaskets are highly recommended. The 6.1 has a different shaped port.

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For what it's worth, I used the gaskets and hardware that came with my JBA's and I've had no issues. I just took my time installing them and tightened them down a little at a time so as to not **** the header flange one way or the other. I've used Stage 8's once, and they were such a PITA I'll never use them again. If I'm ever that worried about the metallurgy of my header bolts on one of my future builds, I'll go with ARP bolts. If you absolutely, positively have to have a locking feature to help you sleep at night, get ARP's that have holes for safety wire and safety the bolts. That (to me) is easier than dealing with those damn Stage 8 clips.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used the JBA bolts but went with the 6.1/6.4 gaskets. The ports are exactly the same.

OP
OP
PNUTLT1

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 6.1 bolts have anti-seize on them, not loc-tite. The Mopar 5.7 gaskets are highly recommended. The 6.1 has a different shaped port.

I believe others said that they have loctite already installed on them.
I think i even read that online somewhere too.

So say they have loctite already, can i put antisieze on them still?

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IF there's Loctite on them, I would remove it and use antisieze. You wanna get a header bolt stuck? Nothing works like heat soaked Loctite.

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
I did a set of new 5.7 gaskets and a new set of 6.1 bolts and they worked perfect didn't even need to retighten them.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did a set of new 5.7 gaskets and a new set of 6.1 bolts and they worked perfect didn't even need to retighten them.
So the 5.7 gasket heatshield doesn't get in the way? I have a set at home and was debating if I should get the remflex instead to go with my SW headers

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used Remflex gaskets and Stage 8 bolts, I won't put any MOPAR crap on my truck ever again.

The MOPAR gasket are just rebranded Fel Pro's anyways. And I wasnt about to use the bolts/gaskets that JBA included with the headers since they looked more cheaply made than the factory ones...lol...

I also tossed the heat shield. It's not needed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PNUTLT1

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used Remflex gaskets and Stage 8 bolts, I won't put any MOPAR crap on my truck ever again.

The MOPAR gasket are just rebranded Fel Pro's anyways. And I wasnt about to use the bolts/gaskets that JBA included with the headers since they looked more cheaply made than the factory ones...lol...

I also tossed the heat shield. It's not needed.

I called JBA and spoke to their only tech guy I believe.
He said that the best header gasket is the mopar 5.7l gasket. He said he recommends that one even on 6.1 vehicles because of the added heat shield.
He sounded like he knew what he was saying talking about remflex being good but not the best.
So maybe te 5.7 OEM gaskets are the way to go?