Billet Technology Oil Catch Can installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMRbrnSNRbrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 CC Hemi Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got my BT Oil Catch Can last night and decided to go ahead and install it. The piece is very impressive. Looks and feels well made. I'm impressed with the o-ring at the top of the threads for a better seal and the nurled bottom of the can for grip when removing it.

As for negative insight: the instructions are lame. It's a one page piece with a couple of paragraphs but it clearly states that they are only general instructions. Sure, this is a pretty simple install, but one thing that differs is the hole used in the head. Also, I got the black braided hoses and hate them. They are insanely rigid and very hard to press on to the fittings.

As for the install, most of it went well, with the exception of pressing the braided hoses on the fittings. That was until I went to re-install the engine cover. I used the hole they recommend and it placed the can too high for the engine cover. I did some research online and found there is another hole that's lower and further away from the engine. No big deal, right? I went and moved the can and found another problem. I had cut the hoses to fit in the original location and now that the can was moved, the lower (or "out") hose on the can wasn't long enough anymore. I had to go to O'Reilly and buy some cheap 1/2" ID hose (doesn't match the top, braided hose now) and use that. Now the engine cover will fit.

I will update when I check the can in a few hundred miles.

Pics:

The product:
022811Oilcatchcan1.jpg

022811Oilcatchcan3.jpg

Before:
022811Oilcatchcan4.jpg

Engine cover and intake tube removed:
022811Oilcatchcan5.jpg

022811Oilcatchcan7.jpg

Original installation pics...before moving it further down:
022811Oilcatchcan11.jpg

022811Oilcatchcan12.jpg

022811Oilcatchcan14.jpg

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Spiffy

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll be interested to see your report in a few hundred miles.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Ok call me dumb but what exactly does it do?? It's a brand new truck it shouldn't be leaking oil yet.

OP
OP
BMRbrnSNRbrd

BMRbrnSNRbrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 CC Hemi Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's not for leaking oil. The problem with these trucks is that they use a system that routes pressure, gases, and incidentally oil "mist" from the crank case back into the intake to be burned off. That's what a PCV valve is for...to release the pressure and subsequently the gases and oil. A catch can goes in-line from the PCV valve and intake and is designed to catch the oil. The BT can is dual chambered and has a filter element inside which causes the mist and gases to condense. When it does, the oil droplets drop down into the bottom chamber, which is what you unscrew to dump the oil. Basically this keeps oil from the crank case from going into your intake and ultimately into your engine.

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
BT is good people, I've met them too. If you want to see info on the catch can, I can go over to some of my Charger forums and link results for the 5.7 and 6.1 motors.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Somebody that has cleaned a thick oily film off their throttle body one too many times.

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
this was my first mod for the new car. Its sittin in my living room and the car hasnt even been built yet (3/3 build). All fuel injection engines have this issue to an extent, but some are worse than others.

GoMangoMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
After reading all the posts and comments from this forum and all the other forums, is there a performance gain or simply a cosmetic upgrade?

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The performance gain is argueable, but the maintenance gain (as in not needing to clean your throttle body and valves as often) is undeniable. Look at this intake. That standing oil is not supposed to be there.

Intake2.jpg

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've not heard of much of a performance gain aside from the TB being cleaner. With the drive by wire TB's we have, if they start gumming up the computer get's cranky.