Black Stone Used Oil Analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Got my first UOA. Not being too smart about whats what I gather that my AmsOil looks good for the mileage but there is still more metal than what I should hope. But no HEMI tic if the matters

So the perspective that the oil is light for better MPG at the cost of engine wear may be true.

I will do another OA atthe end of this Oil cycle. Running Ams Oil filter as well. Might go up to 5w30 next.. Need to see what my consensus is by then.

Love driving my Ram. Awesome truck!

UOA is attached

Attachments

• Scan.pdf
    93.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

tncruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
I would think you need a few more mile and a few more reports to see if it trending towards problems.
now to be rude how much does the service cost?
brianj

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The thing about changing oil weights is that if you go too far from stock your computer isn't going to like it. There are a lot of systems that operate on oil flow and pressure, and changing the viscosity is going to change those two factors.

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
I agree with Dubstep Shep. I'm running 5w30 only because MDS is disabled and I tow a lot.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Looks like every Hemi UOA I've seen, totally normal. I couldn't see the top of page, how many miles on truck? Blackstone does this thing where they want you to buy another sample, so they say retest at another 1000, which is really dumb unless you have throw away money laying around. Your TBN is high, and fuel level is low, you could go another 5k miles without a thought. Your tbn looks better then a brand new conventional oil would new. Conventional oils start around 7tbn, but drop like a rock to your number after a month, then slow for the rest of the cycle. Looks solid RK, nothing you can do about the wear numbers they are exactly like 95% of other Hemi UOA's. As for 30 weight, I will be heading in that direction myself.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
They send you the collection container for free then it's 25$ once you send it in for testing I believe.

The 25 dollar option is pretty useless if you want to know if you can go further on the oil, pay another ten for TBN.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
RK if it was me I wouldn't retest. I'd just go 5k miles and then change the oil, next time run that number before you test it, the number you just tested it at plus 5k miles. Assuming same oil and synthetic filter.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I agree with Dubstep Shep. I'm running 5w30 only because MDS is disabled and I tow a lot.
Well your variable timing is still based off oil pressure as well, so don't forget about that.

I've never actually seen a recorded instance of putting 5w-30 in a 5w-20 motor causing issues though. I've seen it with some much heavier oils though.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I poured in 5W-30 2K miles ago for my summer oil change. Not one issue-->The 5.7L is Very Smooth / Very Responsive. Do I recommend this to others? No! No drop in MPG.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Glad to here another example of using 5w30n with no issues.

OP
OP
RoadKing

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
$25

OP
OP
RoadKing

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Burla,

That sample had 7K miles on it. Truck had about19K miles on it. For fun I will do another UOA before I change the oil again. Well actually I have more Ams Oil 5w-20 Sig and filter so maybe have to use it.

Like to see the numbers on a UOA where somone is using 5w-30

Cheers!

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got my first UOA. Not being too smart about whats what I gather that my AmsOil looks good for the mileage but there is still more metal than what I should hope. But no HEMI tic if the matters

So the perspective that the oil is light for better MPG at the cost of engine wear may be true.

I will do another OA atthe end of this Oil cycle. Running Ams Oil filter as well. Might go up to 5w30 next.. Need to see what my consensus is by then.

Love driving my Ram. Awesome truck!

UOA is attached

What weight are you running now? All amsoil? Here allot about them why I ask.

OP
OP
RoadKing

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
There is a wealth of info on the forum concerning oil. Many discussions center on opinions as much fact or analysis. My UOA shows that after 7K miles the Ams Oil holds up well. My understanding if your going to change oild often you do not really need to use syn oil. If you go longer might want syn oil. I choose Ams Oil.

The url below capture a good bit of info on oil.

Understanding the Differences in Base Oil Groups

Almost every lubricant used in plants today started off as just a base oil. The American Petroleum Institute (API) has categorized base oils into five categories (API 1509, Appendix E). The first three groups are refined from petroleum crude oil. Group IV base oils are full synthetic (polyalphaolefin) oils. Group V is for all other base oils not included in Groups I through IV. Before all the additives are added to the mixture, lubricating oils begin as one or more of these five API groups.

Group I

Group I base oils are classified as less than 90 percent saturates, greater than 0.03 percent sulfur and with a viscosity-index range of 80 to 120. The temperature range for these oils is from 32 to 150 degrees F. Group I base oils are solvent-refined, which is a simpler refining process. This is why they are the cheapest base oils on the market.

Group II

Group II base oils are defined as being more than 90 percent saturates, less than 0.03 percent sulfur and with a viscosity index of 80 to 120. They are often manufactured by hydrocracking, which is a more complex process than what is used for Group I base oils. Since all the hydrocarbon molecules of these oils are saturated, Group II base oils have better antioxidation properties. They also have a clearer color and cost more in comparison to Group I base oils. Still, Group II base oils are becoming very common on the market today and are priced very close to Group I oils.

Group III

Group III base oils are greater than 90 percent saturates, less than 0.03 percent sulfur and have a viscosity index above 120. These oils are refined even more than Group II base oils and generally are severely hydrocracked (higher pressure and heat). This longer process is designed to achieve a purer base oil. Although made from crude oil, Group III base oils are sometimes described as synthesized hydrocarbons. Like Group II base oils, these oils are also becoming more prevalent.

The Changing Use of Base Oils

A recent study on the use of base oils in today’s plants in comparison to a little more than a decade ago found a dramatic change has occurred. Present-day Group II base oils are the most commonly used base oils in plants, making up 47 percent of the capacity of plants in which the study was conducted. This compared to 21 percent for both Group II and III base oils just a decade ago. Currently, Group III accounts for less than 1 percent of the capacity in plants. Group I base oils previously made up 56 percent of the capacity, compared to 28 percent of the capacity in today’s plants.

Group IV

Group IV base oils are polyalphaolefins (PAOs). These synthetic base oils are made through a process called synthesizing. They have a much broader temperature range and are great for use in extreme cold conditions and high heat applications.

57% of lubrication professionals use both synthetic and mineral-based lubricants in their plant, according to a recent poll at machinerylubrication.com
Group V

Group V base oils are classified as all other base oils, including silicone, phosphate ester, polyalkylene glycol (PAG), polyolester, biolubes, etc. These base oils are at times mixed with other base stocks to enhance the oil’s properties. An example would be a PAO-based compressor oil that is mixed with a polyolester. Esters are common Group V base oils used in different lubricant formulations to improve the properties of the existing base oil. Ester oils can take more abuse at higher temperatures and will provide superior detergency compared to a PAO synthetic base oil, which in turn increases the hours of use.

Remember, whichever base oil you choose, just be sure it is appropriate for the application, temperature range and conditions in your plant.