Blackstone Labs has ended the "which oil is better" debate.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What makes the best uoa and what makes the best oil is often two totally different things. And since we are a Ram Forum, we should probably think in terms of best oil for our specific application. But it is certainly a small helpful piece of the entire pie of oil knowledge around here. Just do a little research when choosing an oil, your ram deserves it.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Yup! Very Much So---->:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Let them take possession of a 2015-17 5.7L with a severe Lifter Tick & Tell them to Fix It with your (Best Oil Selection)!

Last edited:

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I've read this a few times and this is the part that stands out the most to me:

"It’s worth noting that the data is only based solely on what owners and fleet managers have sent in to Blackstone with various drain intervals, so there are some limitations. For example, there might be a bigger difference in wear rate among brands if all of the oil samples had much higher mileage on them. Or perhaps longer oil use wouldn’t bring one brand to the forefront—we don’t really know based on the data."

To each their own. Let us know if and when you have a lifter fail. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They came up with a silly name brand for that recently, "fake news". I applaud the study and effort only under the assumption it's intentions were for that of the public good. IMO, from the true scientific approach, the study would be so comprehensive that nobody would fund the cost. Experience is plentiful at this point and we can share those experiences with the world with no delay. A consensus has already been established on what we agree as a majority are the best oils. :favorites13:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I agree: From what I have read a true Extensive UOA is not cheap!

Also oil is truly responsible for so many jobs within a motor as well as any bearing application & seal.

In my mind it would be literally an impossible task.
My only question would be Best @ Exactly What?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BossHogg

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
What I found interesting in the study was the mileage interval of oil changes reported, the average was around 4,000 miles

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I will bet money this debate is NOT over and the "Synthetic Oil" thread will stay on page one most of the time, and BITOG will stay online.

Just sayin'........

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I would venture too bet: Most owners today are so miss informed about today's oils and still only believe in taking their fleets/personal OCI no further then 3K-5K miles. Nothing wrong with this though. Keeps the quick lube places in business...

To most their routine OCI is not very high on their priority list!

We are a very few & unique group.

Murph: You are probably correct...

Last edited:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
This study is a data point and no more. Certainly nothing to make causal analysis from, just suggestive implications.

The interval is not close to what RAM suggests, and neither accounts for the change intervals claimed by the various synthetic oil brands nor is it close to what RF members who follow their EVIC oil change notification are experiencing. This is partially due no doubt to the high representation of fleet vehicles in the study. Privately owned vehicles tend to be driven differently than police, fire, ambulance, taxi, rental, delivery and company vehicles.

So fire up some more popcorn, the debate continues.......

Last edited:
OP
OP
BossHogg

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I believe this entire oil debate including synthetic oils is moot anymore, except where specified by the manufacturer.

I drove my 2013 Tahoe 300,000 miles before selling it back in 2013, all I did was scheduled maintenance using what ever oil was on sale. When I sold it, it still only used about one-half of a quart between oil changes (5K to 7K miles on the oil life meter).

This study is a data point and no more.

It is well beyond a data point. The study includes several data points from users' oil analysis results. There is significant value in the report, the engine is more responsible for wear that the oil brand. The report also addressed the short oil change intervals.

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I myself don't take very much out of things like this!
It is good entertainment as well as a decent conversation piece.

I will stick to what has worked amazingly well for the past 31 years.
Even though I will follow & adapt to future technology. Without being Brainwashed!!
As well as follow my own trustworthy research & most importantly common sense.

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As well as follow my own trustworthy research & most importantly common sense.

Exactly, unfortunately this is something that seems to be very uncommon now of days that's for sure.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^ I think someone once said you begin to learn only after you know it all-
:naughty::naughty:
Jay

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This was his conclusion, "While perhaps this study isn’t entirely exhaustive and conclusive, it supports my choice to use cheap Walmart brand oil..."

So he is running NONE MOLY super tech. On the off chance some Ram owner just reads this thread when he makes a choice of an oil to run in his/her ram, I suggest you read the other thread that would be literal proof running Super Tech in a ram is a bad choice.

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This was his conclusion, "While perhaps this study isn’t entirely exhaustive and conclusive, it supports my choice to use cheap Walmart brand oil..."

So he is running NONE MOLY super tech. On the off chance some Ram owner just reads this thread when he makes a choice of an oil to run in his/her ram, I suggest you read the other thread that would be literal proof running Super Tech in a ram is a bad choice.

Lots of good reading in the other trend. I am about 3/4's of the way through it and have really soaked up a lot of great information. It really made me think twice about what oil and filter I use, "That's for sure.

Last edited: