Bolt-on Mods, Track tested

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy_K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's the slips gentlemen.cd2a172b03770a952942d36124e79daa.jpg

The following times are corrected using the dragtimes DA calculator, at 2500 ft DA.

http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density...739&mph=93.85&correctetmph=Correct+ET+and+MPH

The quickest run corrects to 14.116 @ 95.8

The fastest trap run corrects to 14.315 @ 97.8

The average ET/MPH DA corrected is 14.308 @ 93.8. This is all four runs added together, divided by four, and then corrected for 0 DA.

I'm testing all of the common bolt on mods at the track, one part at a time. These slips were from the first night out. Please keep in mind this was my first time at the track, which is why the truck was getting quicker every run. Even drag racing and automatic takes some practice.

2016 RCSB 4x4 A8 3.92

-Muffler delete, spare removed
-DA was +2500

I will try to keep the variables to a minimum.

-Gas tank always at 1/4

-Track times will always include time slips

-Only one modification will be performed at a time

-I will not do any "track intake" setups, nor will I do any additional weight reduction. The tailgate will remain in tact, the seats will stay in etc.

-The truck will shift on its own, except for the 4-5 shift which I will do manually

Overall, I will keep the variables to a minimum and do as many runs as I can before the track closes.

Over the next 6 months, I will be testing the following (in this order)

-Vararam intake

-ATI underdrive pulley

-Diablosport i3 canned tune

-Hemifever custom tune

-JBA longtubes

-Possibly some sort of throttle body, but I still am on the fence.

After this stage of testing is over, I will move on to weight reduction, more serious weight reduction (race seat, sway-bars etc), slicks/skinnies, race gas. I want this to be a mid 12 second truck in good air.

11/24/17 Vararam intake ordered, stay tuned for next track visit 12-15-17.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Following! I’ve always heard the vararam was good for .2-.4. Let’s see how that goes
What mods are you planning?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
What are your plans for future mods ?

Mine does not hit the rev limilter unless I am in tow haul mode, But I also have 3:21s.

Do you know if that other truck was stock or what had been done to it ?

Last edited:

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome. thank you for taking the time to do this. Let me know if you need any upgrades, we offer discounts for all the members. We now offer Vararam too if you havent already purchased it

Yamifz1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram 4x4 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
subscription added. I'd be interested to see how much of a difference each mod makes as I have quite a few bolt on mods as well as a hemifever tune to go with them.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sweet in! Thanks for doing this thread

OP
OP
J

Jimmy_K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bumping this thread to say that I just ordered the intake from moes, next track visit will be 12-15-17.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy_K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had no Idea that it's been close to 6 months since I last updated this thread. I did get the vararam on the truck, however I was extremely irritated with how the truck shifted, so much so that I ordered the PCM/i3 combo almost immediately. I apologize to those who follow this thread, I never went to the track with just the Vararam on the truck. However, I did go to the track last night in the truck. Currently it has a custom Greene Racing Engine/trans tune/muffler delete/vararam.

Truck had a quarter tank of gas and was full weight. Density Altitude was +2700. Best Run was 13.56 at 100 MPH, running in 2wd and letting the truck shift on it's own.

I'm too lazy to correct all the runs, but the best run corrects to 13.11 at 103.9MPH.

So what we can take away is this; In a DA that was worse by +200, and the only difference being a Vararam intake and a custom tune, I picked up a full second and 7(!!!) MPH.

Funny sidenote; The truck was banging the 1-2 shift HARD, so much so that the back end would step out LOL. On my third or fourth run, one of the track officials asked me if I was running nitrous LOL. People were asking me if I was supercharged, and the look on their face when I told them, "no, just intake, exhaust, tune" they looked shocked. There was a Ford lightning out there with longtubes, a #4lb lower pulley and a tune with radials (and some other small things I'm sure) that was running 12.9's at 101-102. Would like to add that even bolt-on 392 A8 chargers and challengers with radials were only trapping 108-109, hellcats 118-120, if that gives you guys an idea of how slow of a track this is. I talked to a guy with a 2011/12 f150 supercrew 2wd with a whipple 2.9 on 11psi and water/**** and he ran 13.044 at 109MPH.

Stay tuned, I'm going to test a throttle body next. I just can't decide which one to order. Fastman, Modern Muscle, or Moes.

Cheers Gentlemen! :favorites13:

-Jimmy

20180324_114932 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I had no Idea that it's been close to 6 months since I last updated this thread. I did get the vararam on the truck, however I was extremely irritated with how the truck shifted, so much so that I ordered the PCM/i3 combo almost immediately. I apologize to those who follow this thread, I never went to the track with just the Vararam on the truck. However, I did go to the track last night in the truck. Currently it has a custom Greene Racing Engine/trans tune/muffler delete/vararam.

Truck had a quarter tank of gas and was full weight. Density Altitude was +2700. Best Run was 13.56 at 100 MPH, running in 2wd and letting the truck shift on it's own.

I'm too lazy to correct all the runs, but the best run corrects to 13.11 at 103.9MPH.

So what we can take away is this; In a DA that was worse by +200, and the only difference being a Vararam intake and a custom tune, I picked up a full second and 7(!!!) MPH.

Funny sidenote; The truck was banging the 1-2 shift HARD, so much so that the back end would step out LOL. On my third or fourth run, one of the track officials asked me if I was running nitrous LOL. People were asking me if I was supercharged, and the look on their face when I told them, "no, just intake, exhaust, tune" they looked shocked. There was a Ford lightning out there with longtubes, a #4lb lower pulley and a tune with radials (and some other small things I'm sure) that was running 12.9's at 101-102. Would like to add that even bolt-on 392 A8 chargers and challengers with radials were only trapping 108-109, hellcats 118-120, if that gives you guys an idea of how slow of a track this is. I talked to a guy with a 2011/12 f150 supercrew 2wd with a whipple 2.9 on 11psi and water/**** and he ran 13.044 at 109MPH.

Stay tuned, I'm going to test a throttle body next. I just can't decide which one to order. Fastman, Modern Muscle, or Moes.

Cheers Gentlemen! :favorites13:

-Jimmy

View attachment 123658
Do the Fastman true bore TB,it's probably the most common one after Moes ported TB. Matt's sold a pile of ported TB's so most guys know what it'll do,the next most common one is the Fastman true bore,and is what a lot of boosted or sprayed trucks are using.Be curious to see how it pans out on a basically stock truck.