Borla Muffler Install Pics and Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RysRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I installed a Borla muffler on my '13 QC in July. I thought it might be helpful to share what I used and what it sounds like.

I used all stainless...muffler, extension pipe and clamps:

Borla Pro XS muffler part #400486. It's 3" in and dual 2.25" out. This part # has slotted inlets for clamping rather than welding.

1 x Walker stainless 3" band clamp (lap joint)

1 x Walker stainless 3" narrow band clamp

2 x Walker stainless 2.25" narrow band clamp

Approximately 17" of stainless 3" pipe with 1 end flared to 3" ID. Got this from a local shop that I've been going to since I was a kid :) I started with 2' and cut to fit. I'm not sure if a regular cab truck would need less.

I finally adjusted the tailpipes this morning so that they were lined up how I wanted them. It's probably worth noting that Walker also sells replacement clamps for the swivel joint on the tailpipes. The part # for those is 36523.....just in case you break one, like I did lol.

Unfortunately, the OE muffler did not survive the process as I was forced to cut it off due to rust. It will be fondly remembered for it's visual impression of an oil drum, weighing more than Shaquille O'Neal and sounding like a giant hollowed-out catalytic converter.

Video with muffler installed:

https://youtu.be/zUlcdniY1eA

Muffler:

5ORTy27.jpg

Parts

6YQxbI5.jpg

Assembled as it went on the truck

6EWWjhb.jpg

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for posting! Link for video is not working :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you had it on the road yet? How's the MDS drone?

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been driving with the muffler installed since mid-July. Truck has minimal to zero drone.

Excellent. Been looking at all of my options. Do you mind giving the total cost?

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still not working?

Now it works. It don't show the embedded video when I checked. Thanks!

OP
OP
R

RysRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Excellent. Been looking at all of my options. Do you mind giving the total cost?

I'm in Canada so my pricing won't really line up with the US.

But, just a quick check and it looks like:

Muffler = $140
Clamps = 4 x $10 (approx.) = $40
Stainless pipe = $20 from local shop? (cost me $20 Canadian)

Install cost for me was $0 since I did it in my driveway. I'd expect you'd be in for an hours labor at a shop.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I just put on the Pro XS a few weeks ago. I LOVE IT!!! Best muffler I've had yet. Literally zero drone, its barely noticeable cruising down the highway. But it screams when you accelerate! I did a side exit in front of the rear tire, so it sounds awesome with the windows rolled down.

OP
OP
R

RysRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just put on the Pro XS a few weeks ago. I LOVE IT!!! Best muffler I've had yet. Literally zero drone, its barely noticeable cruising down the highway. But it screams when you accelerate! I did a side exit in front of the rear tire, so it sounds awesome with the windows rolled down.

Yup, love mine too. I didn't want it to be too loud and I wanted some tone. It's perfect AFAIC :)

OP
OP
R

RysRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
One other thing worth noting....you will have to grind the alignment pins off of the tailpipes to get them to fit into the muffler with enough depth. The 3" mid-pipe also has an alignment pin but it's far enough forward that it isn't a concern.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm in Canada so my pricing won't really line up with the US.

But, just a quick check and it looks like:

Muffler = $140

Clamps = 4 x $10 (approx.) = $40

Stainless pipe = $20 from local shop? (cost me $20 Canadian)

Install cost for me was $0 since I did it in my driveway. I'd expect you'd be in for an hours labor at a shop.

Yeah no I'd definitely be doing it myself with no welding required

bjohnston0624

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds good. Do a in cabin video while driving

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
Really like your setup as I miss my old Borla cat back. What did you do for hangers? Or is the muffler simply suspended from the piping?

Cowbell_Fever123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this the same muffler as on the S-type cat-back. I got the S-type and it was just as you said during the first week. Now in week 2 is hardly makes any noise.

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
Is this the same muffler as on the S-type cat-back. I got the S-type and it was just as you said during the first week. Now in week 2 is hardly makes any noise.

The muffler on my old borla catback seemed to get louder as time went on. I'm not sure if it was the touring or s-type as they only listed one muffler back then.

CHIWS6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
nice! do you have part #'s for the clamps?

OP
OP
R

RysRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Really like your setup as I miss my old Borla cat back. What did you do for hangers? Or is the muffler simply suspended from the piping?

It's suspended from the piping. It's rock solid, the mid-pipe has a hanger right in front of where my extension pipe joins the OE exhaust.