Borla Muffler Install Pics and Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

RysRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Why the hell you guys are getting the one with 2.5" outlets instead of 2.25" is beyond me lol.

tator2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine was an open box and on sale when I found it. And I have a good welder.

mathews8pt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is a borla Pro XS before it went on my truck. It replaced the short flow master that was just a little to loud and had way too much drone. I had to install adapters to 3” since that’s what my over the axle pipes are due to the Flowmaster cat back.

The Borla sounds great and much more enjoyable on long trips.

e705ea85e1ed8bd1ba54734345cecc2a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Narwhal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Considering doing something like this on my truck. I have a non-cutout bumper and would just dump the exhaust. Definitely don't want a ton of a drone. Magnaflow makes an axle dump system but not sure how (subjectively) bad the drone would be and that's a $600 wager.

Anyone else make a custom axle dump exhaust?

Also saw someone mentioning moving the muffler further toward the rear and guessing that might help with cab drone.

OP
OP
R

RysRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The differential is occupying the space that the muffler would need if it was moved any further back.

I.e. my Borla as installed the way I've documented here can't be moved any further back.

You could get a couple of 45* pipes (or a single) and have it exit out the side....or via a turndown at the side.

Laramie17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The differential is occupying the space that the muffler would need if it was moved any further back.

I.e. my Borla as installed the way I've documented here can't be moved any further back.

You could get a couple of 45* pipes (or a single) and have it exit out the side....or via a turndown at the side.

Hi,
I'm in canada too,
Where did you get yours for 140Ca?
I would like to get one from this side of the border if possible...
Thanks
JR

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
problem with amazon.ca is that most pro xs are out of stock. partsengine.ca is having a 10% off coupon until th end of the month. i got mine there after waiting 3 weeks for amazon to have stock for the 40353

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

DeeZee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wish i would have found this post before i installed the borla 40349 that has 2.5" out LOL.

Had it installed a couple days ago and I get drone on the freeway. Truck is stock other than leveled. Nobody else is experiencing that? Dual out side of muffler is 2.5" diameter while our pipes are 2.25" on that side. Didnt have clamps or adapters so guy at the shop just welded a thick bead around it...could that be causing sound to resonate back and create drone?

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wish i would have found this post before i installed the borla 40349 that has 2.5" out LOL.

Had it installed a couple days ago and I get drone on the freeway. Truck is stock other than leveled. Nobody else is experiencing that? Dual out side of muffler is 2.5" diameter while our pipes are 2.25" on that side. Didnt have clamps or adapters so guy at the shop just welded a thick bead around it...could that be causing sound to resonate back and create drone?

Had mine welded in with the 2.5" exits. No problems and virtually no drone. Only could detect the smallest hint of drone during slow hill climbs in 6/7 gear, but it was very slight. No drone on the highway at all. Good sounding muffler. Have since switched to a FM 50HD and have no drone at all.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Picked up a Borla ProXS off Amazon for $140, had it welded in this morning. Local guy did a fantastic job and added a hanger all for $40! Love the sound but as soon as I heard it I said the wife will hate it. Took her for a ride and she loves it, says it sounds sexy lol.

Last edited:

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
No drone here either. I had mine welded in about 2 weeks ago. Mine is 3'' in and 2.5'' dual out.

EDIT: My installer created a 'neck' to transfer down to 2.25''...

DeeZee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had mine welded in with the 2.5" exits. No problems and virtually no drone. Only could detect the smallest hint of drone during slow hill climbs in 6/7 gear, but it was very slight. No drone on the highway at all. Good sounding muffler. Have since switched to a FM 50HD and have no drone at all.

Thanks gdawg, mine is most noticable during gradual highway hill climbs on cruise control (unsure of which gear tho, assuming 8th). Was your drone in the 1500-1900 rpm range?

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks gdawg, mine is most noticable during gradual highway hill climbs on cruise control (unsure of which gear tho, assuming 8th). Was your drone in the 1500-1900 rpm range?

Yes, every muffler I've had that droned was in the 1600-1900 rpm. The Pro XS had very slight drone in this range. Not really enough to notice unless really paying attention. I'd put another on without hesitation if I get bored with the 50HD.

DeeZee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Feel like I owe an update here..
Hadn't spent any time on the freeway since temps here in SW Ontario were sub-zero. In my experience, temperature affects the sound quite dramatically. In warmer weather, the drone is almost non-existent with the Borla. However, the colder is it, the more sound it produces in general which results in some drone. Most noticeably below 5 degrees Celsius.

Question now, after mine was installed, i lost about an inch or two in tailpipe length due to the Borla being a smaller muffler and not using any adapters. Has anyone else experienced this and did they remedy with any specific tailpipe replacement? Looking to extend mine about an inch past the bumper but all the direct fit options are the same length as the stock tips. Just looking for the simplest and most cost effective approach.

WhiteHotRam

Senior Moment
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport 4x4 SCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Feel like I owe an update here..
Hadn't spent any time on the freeway since temps here in SW Ontario were sub-zero. In my experience, temperature affects the sound quite dramatically. In warmer weather, the drone is almost non-existent with the Borla. However, the colder is it, the more sound it produces in general which results in some drone. Most noticeably below 5 degrees Celsius.

Question now, after mine was installed, i lost about an inch or two in tailpipe length due to the Borla being a smaller muffler and not using any adapters. Has anyone else experienced this and did they remedy with any specific tailpipe replacement? Looking to extend mine about an inch past the bumper but all the direct fit options are the same length as the stock tips. Just looking for the simplest and most cost effective approach.

The simplest, easiest way is to create a one or two inch longer extension pipe that pushes the muffler back and puts the tail pipes back where they are supposed to be.
If your shop also welded the extension to the muffler you might have to take it back to them.
You could try complaining that they made the pipe too short and see where that gets ya.

Briansevenfive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Going to a muffler shop on Monday to get a Borla pro xs installed, I don't plan on removing it afterwards, should I have them weld it on or clamp it on?

Would just like a 2nd opinion before I go ahead and have it welded on.

- Thanks

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Going to a muffler shop on Monday to get a Borla pro xs installed, I don't plan on removing it afterwards, should I have them weld it on or clamp it on?

Would just like a 2nd opinion before I go ahead and have it welded on.

- Thanks
I have always preferred clamps just because if I ever want or need to remove it, I can do so without cutting or re welding. Get some good clamps and you’ll be fine.

Briansevenfive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have always preferred clamps just because if I ever want or need to remove it, I can do so without cutting or re welding. Get some good clamps and you’ll be fine.

Thanks for the reply!

Do you know if I would be able to have a muffler shop clamp on the muffler without a notched neck, as the Borla I have doesn't have the notched neck or would I be better off returning it for one with a notched neck?

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply!

Do you know if I would be able to have a muffler shop clamp on the muffler without a notched neck, as the Borla I have doesn't have the notched neck or would I be better off returning it for one with a notched neck?
They can notch it for you. Nothing a saw can’t fix