Borla s type getting quieter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cowbell_Fever123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

One week ago I got a Borla S type cat-back exhaust installed on my truck, and oh boy, it was perfect.

Deep rumble, loud during acceleration, quiet while cruising.

But today I got in it and it seemed quiet, and I was wondering if anyone had any idea why?

Am I just getting use to it?
Is it the fact that it is getting cooler out?
Or is it truely getting quieter?

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I remember hearing Muffler's break in and become quieter after this happens... I could be wrong so I'll need to see others post to make sure ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Usually they get a little louder after break in... at least thats always been my experience.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Hey guys,

One week ago I got a Borla S type cat-back exhaust installed on my truck, and oh boy, it was perfect.

Deep rumble, loud during acceleration, quiet while cruising.

But today I got in it and it seemed quiet, and I was wondering if anyone had any idea why?

Am I just getting use to it?
Is it the fact that it is getting cooler out?
Or is it truely getting quieter?

Do you do a lot of short drives? I've found some of the flow-through mufflers will collect water in them and if you don't dive it long distances to properly cook off the moisture it'll pool in them and can affect the exhaust note.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Usually they get louder after break in. The water theory is possible. Probably just getting used to it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oops I had that one totally wrong then [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Cowbell_Fever123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you do a lot of short drives? I've found some of the flow-through mufflers will collect water in them and if you don't dive it long distances to properly cook off the moisture it'll pool in them and can affect the exhaust note.

Hmmm. I will have to look into that. It was a wet day yesterday, and I only did a couple of short drives.

Another option may just be that the difference in the air changed how the sound waves were traveling, and therefore muffled the sound a bit.

Looking at the muffler, i see it has no drain holes, I know Borla recommends drilling one on their mustang exhaust, so I am going to call them and see what they say.

Not going to just jump under the truck and start making holes without asking there opinion first.

RamReaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Night Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to re-open this thread but did you find out anything regarding why your exhaust got quieter? I'm considering this exhaust and have been reading through numerous threads about this exhaust. The Borla rep I talked to over the phone said to expect around a 14-17 horsepower increase and increase in a deep subtle sound while at idle.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Your not going to get an HPbump.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry to re-open this thread but did you find out anything regarding why your exhaust got quieter? I'm considering this exhaust and have been reading through numerous threads about this exhaust. The Borla rep I talked to over the phone said to expect around a 14-17 horsepower increase and increase in a deep subtle sound while at idle.

There will be minimal hp increase but will sound great and will help once you start going deeper with mods. let us know if we can help with your upgrade. We offer discounts on everything for the members here