Borla universal muffler???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I loved the Borla ProXS muffler on my 2014. When my driveshaft let go, it punched a hole in the muffler, so I decided to give the XR1 a try this time around. I regret it. The ProXS had a much better tone. I will be getting rid of the XR1 and going back to a ProXS.

Do you prefer Borla over Magnaflow? I had a ProXS as well and switched over to a 14" Magnaflow after seeing all the love on here. Magnaflow definitely has more drone for me.

OP
OP
J

JQ3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The more questions I have answered the more questions I have!

What's the difference between the Borla Transverse Flow muffler, 400499 & the ProXS 40349? The transverse is much more money, but why? Which would sound better? Doesn't the transverse have a valve/flap that opens and closes depending on how hard your accelerating to control noise, i.e., light acceleration = valve close and quiet...hard acceleration= valve/flap open and louder?

See more questions!

OP
OP
J

JQ3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I called Borla and found out the transverse muffler won't work on the RAM.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I called Borla and found out the transverse muffler won't work on the RAM.

The Borla 400774 is the one I have. Pretty quiet when cruising and light throttle. Very loud when WOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
J

JQ3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Borla 400774 is the one I have. Pretty quiet when cruising and light throttle. Very loud when WOT.

Aren't the crate mufflers the wrong pipe configuration? I need a muffler that is inlet/ outlet-outlet...correct?

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Aren't the crate mufflers the wrong pipe configuration? I need a muffler that is inlet/ outlet-outlet...correct?

The one I got is 2.5" in/out (single) - got it for $150 normal $241 like the others. Only reason I bought it.

The 400844 is 3" in/out and is correct size if you have single exit pipe or use 2 for duals.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I believe the ones I posted work perfect on factory duals.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Had my 40349 installed yesterday and it sounds great. My muffler guy also told me that the best muffler for the Hemi is a straight through, nothing with baffles. He said that the Hemi engine puts out to much pressure and it will tear the baffles up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JQ3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unexpectedly, my Borla 40349 was delivered yesterday afternoon! Well although I had yard work to do I couldn't just let that thing sit in the box until Monday! So off to my local Meineke!! They were the only muffler shop open Saturday after noon that was close, hey, I still needed to get those leaves up!!!

They were able to get the install done at 3 and it took about an 1.5 hours to complete the job as they were pretty busy. Not to mention they closed at 4! When they cranked it up in the garage and revved it, I could tell while siting in the shop waiting for the paperwork to be closed out that it sound deeper but not much louder than stock. Once I left I realized that it was louder and much deeper. You can definitely hear the deep ness inside, but it's not annoying. Once the truck shifts to 8th gear it sounds like the OEM muffler, just deeper. But, when you open it up oh man does it sound sweet!!! It roars!!! I've not noticed any annoying resonating.

All in al I happy with the Borla, it really lets you hear the Hemi without being annoying. My only complaint was the install. My tips look to be a little lower than before and they stick out a little more. So I may take it at a future date to a independent shop.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
My only complaint was the install. My tips look to be a little lower than before and they stick out a little more. So I may take it at a future date to a independent shop.

The tips are adjustable, so you can just loosen the clamp and rotate them up to where you want them. It only takes 5 minutes to do this.

OP
OP
J

JQ3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The tips are adjustable, so you can just loosen the clamp and rotate them up to where you want them. It only takes 5 minutes to do this.

Thanks man!!! I didn't even bother to look.

OP
OP
J

JQ3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well tomorrow my Borla will have been on the truck 1 week. Besides the awesome roar of the Hemi, my gas mileage has dropped almost 2 mpg's! I didn't think I was getting into it that much!! Maybe I have? I'll be keeping an eye on it in the coming weeks. I would have thought the gas mileage would have gone up by 1 mpg at best...at worst no change.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I love my borla swap too, went with the pro xs 40349 single in/out on my outdoorsman. Combined with the resonator delete its perfect, can just hear it at idle, well except cold idle, that you can hear. Cruising very mellow, get on it and sounds amazing.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JQ3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still loving the sound! It's mellowed out, sounds even better! Gas mileage has gone back up to pretty much the same as before...mixed driving 17.3 mpg.