bought a new 17 Ram sport reg cab 2wd engine upgrade/suspension lower

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jelfert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i'm looking for some guidance on engine mods and suspension upgrades. I've installed a S&B cold air intake. Looking at the Diablo tuner products. WHich one do I get? The stock PCM has to be sent in apparently. Has anyone done this on the 17 model yet? If my truck has a recall and needs software update...I guess I would have to put the stock PCM back in? Is the tuner worth the $$$?

I looked at getting a supercharger but I don't think I would feel comfortable doing that without putting forged components and upgraded valve train. And after all that money....I could just get a crate SRT motor and keep my stock motor.

Suspension - this thing doesn't handle that well. I would like to do a 2/4 lower, shocks, and sway bar upgrade. Any recommendations? anyone done this yet?

Any guidance on the above upgrades would be much appreciated.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
At the end of the day, it's a 5000 lb truck and it has a high center of gravity, it will never handle like a car. A 2/4 drop will help, but do some research, I remember reading about the RCSB's having a 2 piece driveshaft and them not liking the angles after a suspension drop. The only down side to the tuner is of course voiding the warranty. The tuner will wake the truck up though, especially if you plan other mods like headers, etc. The hemis will last under mild boost, I believe under 7 lbs. There is a thread where two guys just installed superchargers on their 17 crew cabs.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
17's have been being tuned for a while now. You can do the pcm swap through Diablo where they send you a pcm 1st then you send yours back to them. If you want to keep your warranty buy the pcm outright so that you have your stock pcm if you go in for warranty work. The tune really wakes the truck up. I highly recommend a custom motor and trans tune through Jay Greene.

The Belltech 2/4 kit is the typical kit everyone runs. It is a good kit to get started w/ and add from there. The driveshaft problems on the rc trucks is due to reaching critical speed (5350 rpms or 130 mph on 32-33" tires w/ 3.92's). The problem is due to being lowered.